What's new

Question - Jason Voorhees [Pre-XL Release] Does Leatherface mean the death of Jason?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Eh, I don't see how its possible to say Leatherface will be low/mid/high/broken tier cause.. He, ya know, doesn't exist yet?

Also, if they play nothing alike, why would the, I dunno, 11 or so people that still main Jason switch to Leatherface? It seems to me Jason draws people in either for play-style (like most characters) or loyalty/interest in Jason himself.. Now, I'm sure some people just want to play a horror icon, so they *will* switch to whoever the stronger of the two/three/four (depending on view of Xeno and Pred, horror yes, but neither is in the traditional 'slasher' vein some people like so much) is, but out of the 11, that's likely only a couple. Also, if Jason mains *just* wanted a stronger character, they already have a roster full of them, literally the whole roster more or less,

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I just don't see how anyone can say Leatherface will be top tier, and how he somehow invalidates Jason even if he *is*

We have also been led to believe that KP2 will have additional balance adjustments and I genuinely don't expect Jason to be left untouched. For all we know, he will end up stronger that Leatherface. Its all a crapshoot and speculation can be fun, but I don't think we should make assumptions about characters being invalidated and spout doom and gloom. I, personally, am excited to see the direction the game goes with KP2. I feel like NRS has done an over-all good job with the patches and I have some confidence they will be trying to pull some of the lower-tier characters up a little with KP2.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Thank you. This is the first fighting game I am taking seriously. I played MK9, IGAU, and UMVC3 kind of for fun and messed around, but recently I have really wanted to get into fighting games more. Plus Jason isn't even my go to main, I really just play him online for fun, and try combos with him in practice.
No problem man. Everybody starts somewhere, I was the same way with IGAU and it definitely takes some time to understand some of this stuff

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Slasher Jason is my main (and I admittedly like him more than Leatherface and always will) but I will temporarily put him on the back burner once Leatherface arrives. I have to learn him too, and depending on how well he plays depends on if he will be my primary or not. Though I will never completely stop using Jason, I am way too comfortable with him to just drop him completely lol plus I am a huge FT13th fan so its like a loyalty thing.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I played Freddy in MK9. And Kratos was hella broke. And I think most of us are getting at it because how similar Jason and Leatherface are. Freddy was different, aside from the fact he killed people. He has powers and whatnot, they could do a lot more with Freddy. I am sure they will do something with Leatherface we are not expecting, but we can kind of predict he will have some command grabs, a slasher-ish variation with the chainsaw, and a few other things Jason already has. I am not saying LH will play JUST LIKE JASON, but they will most likely have similarities. And if LF does some of the same stuff better.
You have a very uninspired way of thinking when it comes to designing characters.

Sonya, Cassie, and Jacqui are all aesthetically similar the same way Jason and Leatherface are. Army women with advanced military weaponry at their disposal.

It's not hard to make characters place differently.

Leatherface is a big ass man with a big ass chainsaw and all sort of other fun tools from his movies, he has enough gimmicks to create an entirely unique move set from.

And Freddy and Jason both use supernatural powers in their moves and have supernatural backgrounds, so they're actually closer to each other than Jason and LeatherFace.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
You have a very uninspired way of thinking when it comes to designing characters.

Sonya, Cassie, and Jacqui are all aesthetically similar the same way Jason and Leatherface are. Army women with advanced military weaponry at their disposal.

It's not hard to make characters place differently.

Leatherface is a big ass man with a big ass chainsaw and all sort of other fun tools from his movies, he has enough gimmicks to create an entirely unique move set from.

And Freddy and Jason both use supernatural powers in their moves and have supernatural backgrounds, so they're actually closer to each other than Jason and LeatherFace.
Well, again I am new the the FGC. I'm still figuring these things out. I understand Leatherface and Jason will have multiple differences, but I guess this is more of a prediction. Almost everybody I talk to agrees that LF will have some similarities to Jason, as special moves go. Again, a prediction. Most of us are expecting some Relentless/Unstoppable style command grabs, and a variation centered some chainsaw action. I guess later when I get home I will kind of redo this post and clarify what I meant, but IF most of the LF variation predictions floating around are somewhat true (I do think we will get a very Slasher like variation. And a meat cleaver/hammer variation), then will he just completely throw Jason out as competitive play goes? I'm just curious. I didn't mean to start a riot lol.

E

Eldriken

Well, again I am new the the FGC. I'm still figuring these things out. I understand Leatherface and Jason will have multiple differences, but I guess this is more of a prediction. Almost everybody I talk to agrees that LF will have some similarities to Jason, as special moves go. Again, a prediction. Most of us are expecting some Relentless/Unstoppable style command grabs, and a variation centered some chainsaw action. I guess later when I get home I will kind of redo this post and clarify what I meant, but IF most of the LF variation predictions floating around are somewhat true (I do think we will get a very Slasher like variation. And a meat cleaver/hammer variation), then will he just completely throw Jason out as competitive play goes? I'm just curious. I didn't mean to start a riot lol.
I'm hoping he's completely different in every regard to Jason.

Naw Jason is so easy I could not play him for a month and still play him fairly well. He'll continue to be my co-main and possibly still my main if he gets buffed or leatherface is no fun (little chance he'll be no fun though)
easy and bottom tier doesnt add up to me

E

Eldriken

easy and bottom tier doesnt add up to me
Referring to Jason? Jason's not a great character, but he's easy to use. The hardest element about him (in my opinion) is his b1 tick throw in Relentless/Unstoppable. Other than that, he's pretty easy to use in all of his variations, especially Slasher. It doesn't mean he's good, however.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I still suck at doing his b1 tick throw. lol
It's easier out of a run. Standing is just a matter of sliding your finger super fast. I played command grab characters in Injustice so I'm probably just used to the motion.

E

Eldriken

It's easier out of a run. Standing is just a matter of sliding your finger super fast. I played command grab characters in Injustice so I'm probably just used to the motion.
I can do it just fine off of a jump-in, but that doesn't really help me any. I can do it easier on the right side of the screen than I can the left. On the right side, I can probably do it 6/10 and on the left, 3-4/10.

Not like it matters anymore anyway. I don't really play Jason anymore. But it would still be nice to do it consistently when I decide to use him.

E

Eldriken

How dare you change to a viable character you coward!
He was who I originally intended to main until Kitana got revealed. But I wasn't having fun with Kitana and moved to Jacqui, then from Jacqui to Jason, from Jason to Tremor and now Tremor to Kotal. I wish I'd have went with him from the start. =P

But Jason will always have a spot on my "characters I will play" list.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
He was who I originally intended to main until Kitana got revealed. But I wasn't having fun with Kitana and moved to Jacqui, then from Jacqui to Jason, from Jason to Tremor and now Tremor to Kotal. I wish I'd have went with him from the start. =P

But Jason will always have a spot on my "characters I will play" list.
As soon as I saw Kotal put Kano on his knees at three in the morning on April 14, I knew I had my main.