What's new

Practice Mode on the DS

I bought an Action Replay a while back hoping that I could find some codes that would simulate a practice mode like some other MK games have. Finally, the guys at Kodewerx have come up with just that. Practice combos to your heart's content. Here's how to set it up:

12251508 000000xx <-Goes into vs. mode but with no second player
22251510 000000A6 <--Infinite HP for Player 2

Note the two X's at the end of the first line. Which numbers you enter here determine which character you are playing against:

xx = 00 (Kano) to 19 (Shao Kahn)

I use 02 for Jax, since his hitbox makes him easier to juggle.

Lastly, you have two choices, to use infinite time or not. Both have their down side. If you don't use infinite time, the timer counts normally and interrupts your practicing when it hits zero. Since neither player takes damage, this will count as a draw. After five draws, both players (in this case just you) automatically get a game over and you have to start a new game. This gives you several minutes of practice but it's broken by the round changing and the game over after 5 rounds.

Alternately, you can enter more AR codes for infinite time. This gives you a single uninterrupted round that never ends until you quit. The problem is that after roughly 5-6 minutes the game gets confused and most special moves stop working, as if you had reached their usage limit during a combo. At this point it's impossible to practice combos involving special moves, so you have to quit out and start again unless you're just practicing autocombos.

Both are kind of annoying but I prefer to use infinite time. Here is the code for that:

5212417C E2599001
0212417C E1A00000
D2000000 00000000

Enjoy practicing!

That is awesome. I always wanted to train in a training mode in UMK3. But are there options that allow you to tell the CPU what to do? Like jump Straight up?

Apparently the infinite time code isn't necessary because the game has a built in option to turn off the timer. I've also been told there is now a code to fix the timeout on special moves that happens after a while. As far as I know, the only codes that change the CPU's behavior are the one that prevent it from moving left and right and the one that prevents it from doing autocombos. Check out the forum at kodewerx.net for lots more possibilities- that's where I got these from.

dreemernj

Ambassador
The 9 minute limit is taken care of by a code gardevor posted at kodewerx.net:

either,
Push Select to Reset Special Moves Timer Limit
94000130 FFFB0000
12250D40 00000000
D2000000 00000000

or
Special Moves Timer will Reset Itself after Reaching It's Limit
92250D41 00000080
12250D40 00000000
D2000000 00000000

dreemernj

Ambassador
I posted a MAME code for the 9 minute limit a while back. It must be around somewhere, just do a search and it should come up.

lol, this special move limit timer is existing in all (almost?) MK3 games. I'v recently discovered this in MKT for PSX. It's very annyoing to me :/ I wonder why they dont repair this bug even on latest UMK3 ports? Hmmm, i need to send to midway (or who did this) a bug-report. :)