What's new

Practical Quan Chi Combos

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I was screwing around in practice and all I can really pull off now is B21 trance B21 F12 1+2

Im guessing eventually I can add a B21 B11 before the trance? So B21 B21 B11 Trance F1 1+2, would that work.

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
I was screwing around in practice and all I can really pull off now is B21 trance B21 F12 1+2

Im guessing eventually I can add a B21 B11 before the trance? So B21 B21 B11 Trance F1 1+2, would that work.
You can do:

(jip) b21, b21, b11~trance, jip, f12 1+2.

Im not sure if you can sneak another b21 before the f12 because of the amount of hits. I can test this out later. (Maybe b3 1+2 might work?)

You can do:

(jip) b21, b21, b11~trance, jip, f12 1+2.

Im not sure if you can sneak another b21 before the f12 because of the amount of hits. I can test this out later. (Maybe b3 1+2 might work?)
No, it won't work. Best you can do is b+3,1+2 > dash > d+2 or b+1,1 xx Ground Burst unless you want to 1,1 xx Sky Drop.

I did, however, just find b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > 2 xx Trance > b+3,1+2 > dash > b+1,1 xx far Ground Burst... it's now the most damaging option I know of off b+2,1, and similarly off b+3,1+2, but it's kinda strict on the timing of the b+1,1 after the b+3,1+2 and you'd have to decide before the Trance that you don't want to 1,1 xx Sky Drop, or else you'd be doing less damage using the reset than you would doing b+1,1 xx Trance... I don't have any plans to use it, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

Never ever ever ever ever EVER use xx ground burst at the end of a combo. this is free damage for a rune trap later on. In a combo you might get 6% out of it, when you can get 15% including chip on a rune trap. Not very practical.

only practical combo you should be doing is b2,1 b2,1 b1,1 trance (or xxtrance if they are approaching breaker status), 11skydrop. dont forget your meter building in between, and the reset will allow you to continue with pressure, or a rune trap if one is available whcih can bring you anywhere between 70-96% damage.

:D my 2 cents
"xx Ground Burst" is cancel (xx means cancel) into normal Ground Burst, not EX Ground Burst. >_< If you don't have meter for the rune trap and/or you'd prefer having the opponent at a distance, ending with Ground Burst is an option for raw damage, meter-building, and distance. I usually go for 1,1 xx Sky Drop and pressure if I did my juggling before the Trance, but if the juggling is after the Trance, it depends; often I prefer using the b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1/2,1,2 xx Ground Burst ender for distance, damage, and meter building.

Goldi

Noob
Thank you for this. I keep trying to pick up Quan Chi, but he's difficult. At least, for my stupid fingers.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
So, in the style of Robotic.....

When f+1, 2 lands: I follow with trance, (insert meter building strategy that works for you here), 1, 1 xx Sky Drop (or you can do b+2, 1, dash b+2, 1, dash 1, 1, 2 if you want distance.)

When b+3, 1+2 lands: I follow with 2, 1, 2, trance, (insert meter building strategy that works for you here), 1, 1 xx Sky Drop

When b+2, 1 lands: I follow with b+2, 1, b+1, 1 (or 1, 1, 2), trance, (insert meter building strategy that works for you here), 1, 1 xx Sky Drop

When U+3 lands: I follow with trance, (insert meter building strategy that works for you here), 1, 1 xx Sky Drop (or you can do b+2, 1, dash b+2, 1, dash 1, 1, 2 if you want distance.)

When naked trance lands: I follow with (insert meter building strategy that works for you here), 1, 1 xx Sky Drop (or you can do b+2, 1, dash b+2, 1, dash 1, 1, 2 if you want distance.)

I'm really bad at capitalizing on my meter building (I usually just do a whiff'd trance and call it good), but you can see how important it is for Quan.
I've been starting to use 2, 1, 2, Ex Rune instead of 2, 1 xx Ex Rune. It's a lot more beneficial, imo.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
with quan, however, my main point is it is better to not strategize wat you do. if the opponent finds the pattern in which you do ur mixups, than you will be blocked and brutally punished, leaving u with two options, take the damage or wait for rune trap.the point is, try to keep them guessing and stick to no premeditated plan.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
with quan, however, my main point is it is better to not strategize wat you do. if the opponent finds the pattern in which you do ur mixups, than you will be blocked and brutally punished, leaving u with two options, take the damage or wait for rune trap.the point is, try to keep them guessing and stick to no premeditated plan.
I think that goes with anyone with punishable mixups. It's not good to develop a pattern. You basically want to make your opponent develop a pattern and play accordingly............ BUT I'm sure you're aware of that ;)

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
im fully aware but tourny players or xbl or psn friends will get the jist of how you play so you need to mix up all your mix ups. he is a mind fuck character becuz his mixups are more unsafe than say noob or liu wang

Robotic

Gentleman.
It's not so much strategy that I was intending with the thread (yet) as much as it was, "Hey you! Quan Chi player, you know the plethora of ways Quan Chi can begin a combo? Well, here are some reasonable things to add on to your starters! We've all seen the gimmicky stuff, here's the real stuff you SHOULD apply to your every day game!"

Strategy will come, but strategy is impossible to apply in a meaningful way without a firm grasp on the foundation. Knowledge of every situation in which a combo can be applied and which combo is important. Practicing to the point of it being 2nd nature when you perform your combo starter is vital for one's advancement in a character - I would argue much more so for a non top-tier character.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
ok than a situation. at the strt of a match, if you are jumping distance, if you jumped alot the previous round the opponent may strt off with a NJP. respond to this with the f1,2 trance combo starter. follow up with 1,1 tele stomp and enjoy their stumble
btw help post on my new thread plz

Practical for me always have been

b3,1+2 dash 1,1 dash 2,1,2 trance, close rune, jp (at this point u can mix up) 1,1 skydrop or 4 or simply reset by doing b3,1+2 or u3 after letting jump punch disconnect

f1,2 trance, whiffed trance, b,2,1 dash b,2,1 dash f,1,2 (at this point let the opponent drop on the ground, so no f1,2,1+2) after dropping him u can dash an pressure with b3,1+2. once they realized that u drop him bait a wake up or wakeup roll with trance. when the begin to block after wake up u can start mixing with u3 or start with 2,1 ex rune into mixup

u3 trance whiffed trance b,2,1 dash b,2,1 dash f,1,2 (the see above)

corner game

b3,1+2 , b,2,1 , 2,1,2 trance whiffed trance 1,1 skydrop

u3 trance whiffed trance b,2,1 , b,2,1 , 2,1,2 skull (after skull a well timed b3,1+2 keeps the pressure going)

f,1,2 trance b,2,1 b2,1 2,1,2 skull (after skull a well timed b3,1+2 keeps the pressure going)

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
does your meter building ever take too long to land a hit after? or is all of this safe meter build into a combo?
Here's my meter building video again incase anyone is confused about what specials to whiff and when depending on the combo you're doing.
[video=youtube_share;LjlaaoijJS8]http://youtu.be/LjlaaoijJS8[/video]

Here's my meter building video again incase anyone is confused about what specials to whiff and when depending on the combo you're doing.
Don't get me wrong, it's a solid video, but I'm actually a bit confused about some of your choices in it... First, I feel it is worth mentioning that what causes you to have more time during the Trance is the opponent's height... if the opponent is in the air when you Trance them, you can get up to around (I'm estimating using a stopwatch) an additional half-second of time to whiff specials depending on how high they are, with about a twentieth of a second extra time to whiff specials off the lowest ground-to-air Trances. So you can whiff both a Trance and a Ground Burst with little to no more trouble than you can off b+3,1+2 > b+2,1 > 2/(b+1,1) xx Trance(the opponent is fairly low after this string) when you get a ground-to-air Trance at heights I'm estimating to be around chest-height or higher, even considering the 8-frame longer start-up of b+2 than 1. And, in agreement with greater heights leading to longer Trances, I'm finding the Trance off 1,1,2 to be around 12 frames longer than Trances off b+3,1+2, which should make it easier to whiff the Trance and Ground Burst even when using b+2, since b+2 is 8 frames seconds longer than 1, so you have a net gain of about 4 frames. I can get your reasoning for the u+3 follow-up, though.

And although you can always whiff a Trance and a Ground Burst, I see why you don't recommend it for all Trances, as it's rather strict... but I'm surprised you recommend Sky Drop and a Ground Burst over two Ground Bursts for u+3 xx Trance and grounded Trances; it's not very strict at all, especially relative to the recommended Trance and Ground Burst off b+3,1+2.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Don't get me wrong, it's a solid video, but I'm actually a bit confused about some of your choices in it... First, I feel it is worth mentioning that what causes you to have more time during the Trance is the opponent's height... if the opponent is in the air when you Trance them, you can get up to around (I'm estimating using a stopwatch) an additional half-second of time to whiff specials depending on how high they are, with about a twentieth of a second extra time to whiff specials off the lowest ground-to-air Trances. So you can whiff both a Trance and a Ground Burst with little to no more trouble than you can off b+3,1+2 > b+2,1 > 2/(b+1,1) xx Trance(the opponent is fairly low after this string) when you get a ground-to-air Trance at heights I'm estimating to be around chest-height or higher, even considering the 8-frame longer start-up of b+2 than 1. And, in agreement with greater heights leading to longer Trances, I'm finding the Trance off 1,1,2 to be around 12 frames longer than Trances off b+3,1+2, which should make it easier to whiff the Trance and Ground Burst even when using b+2, since b+2 is 8 frames seconds longer than 1, so you have a net gain of about 4 frames. I can get your reasoning for the u+3 follow-up, though.

And although you can always whiff a Trance and a Ground Burst, I see why you don't recommend it for all Trances, as it's rather strict... but I'm surprised you recommend Sky Drop and a Ground Burst over two Ground Bursts for u+3 xx Trance and grounded Trances; it's not very strict at all, especially relative to the recommended Trance and Ground Burst off b+3,1+2.
Really it's because this was all new when I put it together. Some of my math is off as well. For example, in the video it says you can get a Rune trap starting with 48% meter, it turns out it's only 43.5%! And things like that. I'm hoping to address the more specific math of this in a follow up video. I'd like to experiment with what you just talked about with the different height as well.