What's new

Post Final Kombat Mortal Kombat 1 Patch Notes 6/18 - Peacemaker, Khameleon nerfs + more

PC Steam & Epic Games Store
  • Added a new Graphics Setting to increase the 30 FPS lock on certain sections to 60 FPS, which is intended for users with High-End Hardware
    • The new setting to enable this is accessed via Main Menu > Settings > Graphics > Experimental > 60 FPS Mode: OFF (Default)/ON
    • Note that this setting will not affect pre-rendered movies and will be automatically disabled during Online Matches to avoid stability issues
General Fixes & Adjustments
  • Fixed several desyncs that could occur during online play if the game had been hot-fixed
  • Adjusted camera behavior when Homelander, Omni-Man, or Peacemaker are interrupted or hit high off screen
Character Specific Adjustments
Main Fighters
Reptile
  • Fixed damage scaling on Force Ball when not enhanced
Peacemaker
  • Human Torpedo & Enhanced Human Torpedo now hits High
  • Reduced base health value to 650 (from 700)
Homelander
  • Fixed canceling into Flight when grounded more than once in a kombo not consuming Super Meter
  • Fixed Jump Attacks during Flight be able to be canceled into Flight on block
  • Fixed not being able to breaker God Complex & Enhanced God Complex
  • Improved Punching Down linking into God Complex & Enhanced God Complex from Flight when it hits opponent near the top
  • Fixed issue that could result in Homelander sliding on the ground sometimes when God Complex from Flight was canceled from certain heights
  • Fixed rare issue that could result in Homelander sliding on the ground sometimes when God Complex from Flight was performed just as flight was about to time out
  • Fixed rare instances of some juggle kombos sometimes behaving slightly differently against Homelander with specific timing
  • The following attacks can no longer be parried by Dirty Trick
    • Kitana - Fancy Strike (Away + Front Punch)
    • Rain - Tide (Away + Back Punch) & It Pours (Back Punch, Front Punch, Front Punch, Back Punch)
    • Reptile - Kneet Trick (Towards + Back Punch, Front Kick)
    • Sindel - Shear Genius (Towards + Front Punch) & Off The Top (Away + Back Punch, Front Kick, Back Punch)
    • Ermac - Dragged Under (Front Kick, Back Kick)
    • Peacemaker - Gutshot (Away + Back Kick) & Pinky Toermenter (Down + Back Kick)
    • Quan Chi - Skeleton Jacker (Towards + Back Punch, Front Punch)
  • The following attacks can now be parried by Dirty Trick
    • Ashrah - God’s/Demon's Wrath & Dark/Light Ascension
    • Baraka - Baraka Barrage, Stab Stab, & Chop Chop
    • Havik - Twisted Torso
    • Kenshi - Quick Slice (Jump Front Punch in Sento Stance), Upper Gash (Jump Back Punch in Sento Stance), Ancestral Guard, Soaring Sento, & Teamwork
    • Kung Lao - Kung-Kussion & Shaolin Shimmy
    • General Shao - Power Strike
    • Smoke - Vicious Vapors & Smoke Bomb
    • Peacemaker - Coming Through! (Towards + Back Kick, Front Punch)
    • Homelander - Grounding Fist from (Air) Diabolical Dash & Soaring Strike from Diabolical Dash
Kameo Fighters
Cyrax
  • Fixed canceling into Horizontal Kopter Chopper from Kopter Chopper not using Kameo Meter
Khameleon
  • Reduced pushback on block of first 2 hits of Roll & slightly reduced the pushback on block of the last hit
  • Reduced base health value to 250 (from 300)
Janet Cage
    • Slightly increased combo damage scaling on Hop Punch & Hop Skip Punch

Comments

While at Final Kombat Ed + Tyler were VERY active in talking to everyone in regards to direct feedback on changes to the game. This revert was almost no surprise but I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Cyrax come back to life + more eventually. This was the most active I had seen them at an event so we will see how things go from here. Hoping something huge comes with a Season 2 of Pro Komp myself. Large seasonal changes/meta's if they plan on committing to the game for a while.
I think this actually gets to the single biggest issue NRS has had with MK1 - communication. I don't need to rehash the coms blunders NRS has already had with MK1 - IMO if Ed and Tyler, or even the non-personal MK/NRS socials were more active with communication, giving us data, roadmaps, anything else that typically comes with live-service style games, which this is, people would be generally more happy to trust the process.

It's great that they were letting pro players feel like their feedback is being heard and trying to message to them that they're paying attention to the meta and balance issues, but NRS has been losing the coms war since day 1 with the portion of their player base that sits between offline competitors and the single-player-onlies - and this is an incredibly important demographic of the playerbase as they're likely the biggest consumers of online content and potential promoters of the game.

Nerfing Cyrax, accidentally un-nerfing him, re-nerfing him again, only to un-nerf him again (though it sounds like we getting more of a rework than an un-nerfing) is incredibly convoluted. They would be given so much more grace by the playerbase as a whole if they actually talked to us and gave any transparency as to what they're planning.

Last edited:
Cyrax antics aside, seems like a nice patch.

And poor Cyrax, but they keep slapping down stuff people are complaining about.

Health nerfs are really stupid. It just a simple cop out for saying we don't want to fix/change things and the easiest way out is to reduce HP.

Everyone should have the same base health period. +/-50 for kameos is OK. But imagine Quan Chi/Mavado going against Shao/Tremor. That's a 40% health difference.

The whole Cyrax nerf>buff>nerf thing is super funny. NRS must've been hitting the bong a little too much.
Added bonus: the unnerf was completely undocumented and seemed to be unintentional since they considered it a bug. Hoo wee.

Anyway, this is very much a bandaid patch akin to the others that have released with kameos. I'm expecting a "real" balance patch with Takeda since that appears to be their schedule: minor changes with kameo releases (which I assume this week was supposed to be Ferra's release originally) and "big" patches with character releases. If Boon and Tyler were talking big game about Cyrax getting a mini rework, here's to hoping that comes with the big patch. Preferably alongside some other base roster kameos getting mini reworks to be more exciting too.

I think this actually gets to the single biggest issue NRS has had with MK1 - communication. I don't need to rehash the coms blunders NRS has already had with MK1 - IMO if Ed and Tyler, or even the non-personal MK/NRS socials were more active with communication, giving us data, roadmaps, anything else that typically comes with live-service style games, which this is, people would be generally more happy to trust the process.

It's great that they were letting pro players feel like their feedback is being heard and trying to message to them that they're paying attention to the meta and balance issues, but NRS has been losing the coms war since day 1 with the portion of their player base that sits between offline competitors and the single-player-onlies - and this is an incredibly important demographic of the playerbase as they're likely the biggest consumers of online content and potential promoters of the game.

Nerfing Cyrax, accidentally un-nerfing him, re-nerfing him again, only to un-nerf him again (though it sounds like we getting more of a rework than an un-nerfing) is incredibly convoluted. They would be given so much more grace by the playerbase as a whole if they actually talked to us and gave any transparency as to what they're planning.
This so much.

NRS HAS the channels to talk directly to the players, but they don't use them. Why are the Kombat Kasts not used to talk in more depth about the game and what changes are being discussed and/or coming to the game? Instead they let things linger and then say they are "listening". To what and to whom are they listening?

NRS has made characters like Peacemaker before (they KNOW how powerful they can be), so I think everyone knew he was potentially going to be a problem as soon as he was showcased. And they MUST have heard all the chatter about Johnny and how powerful he was, so why was JC just left to dominate the game since day 1? The funniest thing to me at this point is just the overall state that this game is in today. The fact that MK1 is coming up on a year old, and there are still "coming soon" place holders int the game is telling.

NRS has some real issues going on behind the scenes, and I'm just sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop at this point.

And they MUST have heard all the chatter about Johnny and how powerful he was, so why was JC just left to dominate the game since day 1? The funniest thing to me at this point is just the overall state that this game is in today.
Listening to the chatter is important, but they have something even more important - data. NRS knows exactly how all characters perform against each respective character, further stratified by player MMR.

I think JC has been a problem since day 1, but what do I know - I'm an online warrior scrub who has a subjective opinion. Maybe their data on the backend says that he actually isn't as good as I think he has been for the full life-cycle of the game, and in fact he has only truly become oppressive once Khameleon was introduced, and Raiden nerfed. We'll never know though, because they don't talk to us or tell us anything.

I just learned SF6 exposes player MMR, by character since that's how they do MMR in that game? I don't play SF6 - but I would love to see something like this for MK1 or at least this type of data discussed by NRS.

It's not like 'wow that's a hype change' but I have zero issues with health changes like this. Like yeah Havik a lot of HP with Shujinko and Tremor and you get to take advantage of it.

Listening to the chatter is important, but they have something even more important - data. NRS knows exactly how all characters perform against each respective character, further stratified by player MMR.

I think JC has been a problem since day 1, but what do I know - I'm an online warrior scrub who has a subjective opinion. Maybe their data on the backend says that he actually isn't as good as I think he has been for the full life-cycle of the game, and in fact he has only truly become oppressive once Khameleon was introduced, and Raiden nerfed. We'll never know though, because they don't talk to us or tell us anything.

I just learned SF6 exposes player MMR, by character since that's how they do MMR in that game? I don't play SF6 - but I would love to see something like this for MK1 or at least this type of data discussed by NRS.
There are a lot of things that Capcom/SF6 does better than NRS/MK1. To put a fine point on it though, MK1 has the bones of a VERY old game, but the visuals of a modern one.

The story mode is EXACTLY the same as it was in MK9, MKX, and MK11. The way ranked/online works is generally the same as it worked in MK9, and maybe even since MKD. The Arcade Ladder is a staple so that is fine...but why is the AI pretty much the exact same as it always has been. Why hasn't NRS implemented a ghost element that mimics players yet? Or just done something new/different? Invasions is a joke...so yeah. And what else is there?

I feel like the MK devs used to know how to push the genre forward, but they at some point just lost the plot. They struck gold with MK9, but then got stuck in their mindset and now think they can't do any better.

-----
Slight tangent, but when I saw that MK1 was doing the same old story mode, that already put up a big red flag for me. The mode was fine (though I have my issues with it), but it was just the same thing rehashed for the 4th time in a row. I'm waiting for MK to grow again, but I feel like they may have peaked.

There are a lot of things that Capcom/SF6 does better than NRS/MK1. To put a fine point on it though, MK1 has the bones of a VERY old game, but the visuals of a modern one.

The story mode is EXACTLY the same as it was in MK9, MKX, and MK11. The way ranked/online works is generally the same as it worked in MK9, and maybe even since MKD. The Arcade Ladder is a staple so that is fine...but why is the AI pretty much the exact same as it always has been. Why hasn't NRS implemented a ghost element that mimics players yet? Or just done something new/different? Invasions is a joke...so yeah. And what else is there?
This is mostly due to the rapid rate of MK-engine releases.

If NRS only released games every 7-9 years like SF/Tekken, there'd be more time to reengineer the plumbing of all the modes between games.

If NRS only released games every 7-9 years like SF/Tekken, there'd be more time to reengineer the plumbing of all the modes between games.
It could probably be achieved in the same timeframe if their games used a legacy system of movesets. Currently, every single game has all characters having a completely new moveset with different animations, despite some of those moves acting similar to past iterations (Liu Kang's 44 in MKX, f434 in MK11 and f434 in MK1)

Unrelated but does the whole Torpedo situation remind anyone of how back in the Klassic games Liu Kang would do whiff Flying Kick over and over after getting a life lead, i used to get my ass beat by that

It could probably be achieved in the same timeframe if their games used a legacy system of movesets. Currently, every single game has all characters having a completely new moveset with different animations, despite some of those moves acting similar to past iterations (Liu Kang's 44 in MKX, f434 in MK11 and f434 in MK1)
I never got why NRS keeps revamping the gameplay with every game, they should take a page out of Midway's book when it comes to that, keep the gameplay the same with minimal additions for a handful of entries then revamp it

I never got why NRS keeps revamping the gameplay with every game, they should take a page out of Midway's book when it comes to that, keep the gameplay the same with minimal additions for a handful of entries then revamp it
It is a two way street for me, tbh. While it is frustrating having to learn my character in every new incarnation, it is also liberating when my character who sucked in the previous game is now someone I am interested in playing. Reptile in MK9 was okay for me, in MKX he was fucking great and now in MK1 I find him meh. If I was told the next 3 or so games he is in would feature his MK1 gameplay with just minor additions in each game, I'd probably drop him, despite him being my fave character.

It is a two way street for me, tbh. While it is frustrating having to learn my character in every new incarnation, it is also liberating when my character who sucked in the previous game is now someone I am interested in playing. Reptile in MK9 was okay for me, in MKX he was fucking great and now in MK1 I find him meh. If I was told the next 3 or so games he is in would feature his MK1 gameplay with just minor additions in each game, I'd probably drop him, despite him being my fave character.
I mean you can still buff characters and make them more interesting without completely revamping them, that's more or less what happened with most characters in the Midway games
Reptile from MK2 to UMK3 still had a lot of the same moves but they buffed Forceball slightly and added Serpent Run, then the system mechanics allowed him to become much better and more interesting while still keeping the foundations from MK2

I mean you can still buff characters and make them more interesting without completely revamping them, that's more or less what happened with most characters in the Midway games
Reptile from MK2 to UMK3 still had a lot of the same moves but they buffed Forceball slightly and added Serpent Run, then the system mechanics allowed him to become much better and more interesting while still keeping the foundations from MK2
Yes, but I feel the comparison doesnt really apply here. The only thing they kept from MK2 to UMK3 were universal mechanics like sweeps, uppercuts and special moves. Everything else (combos, running, stage transitions, etc) was brand new. They didnt change Reptile's moveset to a worse or better one because there wasnt any to begin with, just the special moves and universal mechanics.

Only thing I can see working is if they somehow crammed all his strings from MK9 to MK1 into a single moveset (with no conflicting inputs), while somehow making them all balanced in a single character, and start adding stuff from there in subsequent games.

I think this is mostly true, but I also think it's deeper than that.

Back in the day, from MK1 through MKDA, each one of those games was built on a new "engine", meaning each game was built from the ground up each time. Now, it is true that back in the day they could build a whole game in a year or so, but as time went on that just got hard and harder. It was only in the "3D era" when mortal Kombat started iterating on their games/engines, which in turn allowed other game modes to be created in flourish.

With the new era of games I feel that the MK devs kind of went back to what they used to do, were they scrapped everything and started over again (though they kept using the same engine). And at least one of the reasons I think they started doing this, is just because they had more money, and new backing to go forward. In the 3D era, the MK devs were kind of squeezed for cash and forced to work with what they had. In this NRS era they kind of were given the world and so they took advantage of it.

You can blame WB for a little bit of this, but I really feel as though NRS just lost their way. They seemingly got drunk on the power and ability to remake each game from the ground up, but didn't really stop to think if they should.

But this could all just my own headcanon.

but why is the AI pretty much the exact same as it always has been.
As someone who plays a lot against the AI (Single Fights, Towers, Invasions, etc), I can tell you it's not the same in this game, it's declined.

The AI in Mortal Kombat 1 is far easier to beat then the AI in Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate.

Slight tangent, but when I saw that MK1 was doing the same old story mode, that already put up a big red flag for me. The mode was fine (though I have my issues with it), but it was just the same thing rehashed for the 4th time in a row.
This is expected though because this is the best selling mode to casuals, they're largest paying customer base. A significant portion of their casual base buys the game, plays through the summer-blockbuster-like Story Mode, toys with Towers or Invasions and does Fatalities on their friends for a little, and then moves on to the next game.

On the flipside though, casuals are the main ones who keep playing these games on a daily basis after the new one comes out. Like, everyone talks about casuals "moving on", but when people quote the Steam numbers for MK11 this year.. Those aren't competitive players. Those are casuals.

The people buying MK11/MKX in 2024? Casuals.

Sure, a few tournament players might dip in and run a set in MKX or Injustice 2 now and then, but casuals are the ones who will keep playing the game they like without a care in the world for what the competitive meta of the moment is.