What's new

Possible New Tech

DanX4

Noob
I use it as anti-air all the time, but you need to be careful with it as it can be pretty risky against some characters due to its relatively slow recovery. From my experience, I wouldn't use it against a Kitana, cause if they do a fan mid-air, you may get punished after she lands (Liu Kang too). Someone with a teleport may be looking for it and might get you... I think Cyrax has gotten me a few times with it. Against these characters I always try to use d1, and I'm trying to incorporate standing 3 into my game as well.

Nail your opponent with Scorpion's Toward+4,spear a few times and he/she will naturally block low after that, then that's when you praise them with the overhead blade. As an anti-air the overhead blade (Away+2) is risky like DanX4 stated. I find that the good old uppercut sends them back where they jumped from lol.

you can also safe teleport without a blocked JIP/JIK, just teleport few frames before scorpion lands on the ground. there is also 1 other way 2safe teleport tho

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
If you are able to land d+1 into teleport you should not go for the b2 as an anti air. B2 is a great tool against people jumping in from outside of d+1 range, usually that happens when people think you're going to hellfire or something. B+2 usually is not an anti air in that case but more of a 50/50 because it's kinda hard to do on reaction for AA. Basically the tail end of the b+2 will hit as they land and if they block low you get a full combo, if they block high you can go for F+4 into spear. It's not safe but it's a good way to put someone into a 50/50 situation off of their own jump in attempt if you are out of range of d+1/st+3. It's extremely unsafe if blocked just like all of his high damage 50/50 situations.

I wouldn't advise anyone to try to aa with B+2 on reaction. In some cases you can predict a jump and catch them out of the start of it but it's a guess and not reaction.

If you are able to land d+1 into teleport you should not go for the b2 as an anti air. B2 is a great tool against people jumping in from outside of d+1 range, usually that happens when people think you're going to hellfire or something. B+2 usually is not an anti air in that case but more of a 50/50 because it's kinda hard to do on reaction for AA. Basically the tail end of the b+2 will hit as they land and if they block low you get a full combo, if they block high you can go for F+4 into spear. It's not safe but it's a good way to put someone into a 50/50 situation off of their own jump in attempt if you are out of range of d+1/st+3. It's extremely unsafe if blocked just like all of his high damage 50/50 situations.

I wouldn't advise anyone to try to aa with B+2 on reaction. In some cases you can predict a jump and catch them out of the start of it but it's a guess and not reaction.
D4 would be a better anti air if its outside of d1's range

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
D4 is his best AA hitbox for ranged jumps.
It lowers him more than D1, and has much better horizontal reach than any of his other AA normals 2, 3, D1, etc.

It combos right into teleport as well, but the drawback is that close jumps still need to be D1'd, as you'll find out if you utilize D4 often.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
My best friend uses b+2 exclusively for anti-air and it has STUPID range. I could be nearly crossed over and it still connects for a juggle. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't use it as AA against teleporters, though.

I'm not a Scorpion main but I do dabble. I can nail a standing 1, into a 11xxteleport 11xxspear 100% of the time. I could use D+1/4 but I'm old school, brought up on UMK3. Standing HP was always the way to go with the exception of the now extinct roundhouse.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
D4 is his best AA hitbox for ranged jumps.
It lowers him more than D1, and has much better horizontal reach than any of his other AA normals 2, 3, D1, etc.

It combos right into teleport as well, but the drawback is that close jumps still need to be D1'd, as you'll find out if you utilize D4 often.
Yeah I remember you telling me about the d4 aa at nec, I completely forgot about that. The b+2 and f+4 50/50 is not an AA though and can potentially lead to more damage though I'm sure d+4 is more useful.

ELC

Scrublord McGee

Basically, the gist would be to use a two-hit string with a bit of advantage (or, in the case of 2,1+2, cancel-able) with EN Teleport. Like so:

(2,1+2xxEN Tele)x4

A few problems however, that I have not tested yet:
1. F3,2 is advantage on block for Cage; nothing except for EN Teleport is advantage on block for Scorpion.
2. EN Teleport has a longer startup than EN Forceballs *as far as I know it does*

Thoughts?

EDIT: Alright: tested this out. Still viable as long as your opponent is a twat and doesn't duck at all, and that include duck-blocking. Dash 3,3xxEN Tele would be the best frame-trap against these types of opponents.

JC should be using F33 ex force ball, not F32.

F32 is not advantage on block

F32 and F33 jail into ex force ball. Scorpion's ex tele is too slow for any string to jail into it.

If anything, you'd probably be better doing 111 ex tele.

Scorpion's ex tele is good, but to use this as a block string isn't the best idea because the opponent will catch on and will punish with D1 combo.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Yeah ... kinda figured it wouldn't work >_<. Still, never new Scorpion's Tele could whiff on all duck-blocking opponents ... even Sheeva.

EDIT: How much is F3,2 and F3,3 on block for Cage, roughly?

Enenra

Go to hell.
Mad props for putting yourself out there though, ELC. Takes balls and the best part was it was a good attempt, made sense on paper. Good job man keep it up.

Yeah ... kinda figured it wouldn't work >_<. Still, never new Scorpion's Tele could whiff on all duck-blocking opponents ... even Sheeva.

EDIT: How much is F3,2 and F3,3 on block for Cage, roughly?
I made a post in the JC frame data thread.

Pagan

Noob
Scorpion's lack of frame advantage makes it virtually impossible to do any frame traps outside of torment (111)

Would be nice though :)

Yeah I remember you telling me about the d4 aa at nec, I completely forgot about that. The b+2 and f+4 50/50 is not an AA though and can potentially lead to more damage though I'm sure d+4 is more useful.
Wait, what? D4's a anti air? Can you please make a short video example of this, because I just can't envision it.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Consider the following BnBs:

ji.P 11xxSpear nj.P dash B2 ji.KxxTele ji.KxxTele
ji.P 11xxSpear nj.P dash B2 ji.KxxTele dash 1,1xxTakedown
ji.P 11xxSpear nj.P dash B2 ji.KxxTele ji.KxxThrow

All do 40%, but each of them leaves the opponent in a different position relative to Scorpion.

Which BnB would you use for each matchup?

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Both ending with a takedown and ending with a tele leaves you at about jump distance. I say use takedown because you can use the full length of 111 and then EX takedown for some more damage if you need it. Plus ending with a tele kinda looks...unfinished.

Ending with an air throw leaves you a bid farther than midscreen i would say. If you are having trouble with pressure use this one. Maybe against an overly aggressive Lui Kang? Everyone else i would use takedown. Also allows for free Ex hellfire for a bonus 8%. this one's my favourite.

Even better, try ending with 11 spear. Leaves the enemy right at your feet. Great if you want to keep pressure or start up another vortex, your choice. Awesome for zoners who cant handle face to face combat. Sindel or Ermac, perhaps?

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
None.
Use either the Gravedigger 35% BNB, or the Great Void 32% BNB.

Situationally use the 48% air throw to EX Hellfire BNB if it's going to kill them.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Both ending with a takedown and ending with a tele leaves you at about jump distance. I say use takedown because you can use the full length of 111 and then EX takedown for some more damage if you need it. Plus ending with a tele kinda looks...unfinished.

Ending with an air throw leaves you a bid farther than midscreen i would say. If you are having trouble with pressure use this one. Maybe against an overly aggressive Lui Kang? Everyone else i would use takedown. Also allows for free Ex hellfire for a bonus 8%. this one's my favourite.

Even better, try ending with 11 spear. Leaves the enemy right at your feet. Great if you want to keep pressure or start up another vortex, your choice. Awesome for zoners who cant handle face to face combat. Sindel or Ermac, perhaps?
That's what double ji.KxxTele does: leaves them at your feet. Though, to be honest, it might be better to go for void/vortex like PU suggested instead of the double ji.KxxTele combo.

None.
Use either the Gravedigger 35% BNB, or the Great Void 32% BNB.

Situationally use the 48% air throw to EX Hellfire BNB if it's going to kill them.
I'm asking because there are certain matchups where you don't want the opponent anywhere near you (Sonya, Cage, Reptile) to zone, others where you want them as close as possible (Ermac, Sindel, Noob) to rush, and others where you want them at mid-screen to bait a punishable response (i.e. jump-ins, unsafe wake-ups, projectiles vs EN Spear). But since my matchup knowledge is rather bleh, I'm curious which characters you'd want at each position (Takedown, Tele/Vortex/Void, or Air Throw).

Also, doesn't the EX Demon Fire scale after the air throw? I know regular Demon Fire scales pretty badly after a vortex setup.