What's new

Possibility of Implementing Abilities Competitively?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I thought everybody went on about how variations caused too many balance issues.

And that Injustice 2 has balance issues without them.

Why do they want NRS to attempt to balance a bunch of moves that they themselves pretty much say are unbalanced?

They are fun but some of them are stupidly good and others just trigger me, like if I ever saw Flash throw a projectile in a real tournament I'd turn the stream off.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I don't think it will ever happen, which on one hand is good for competitive balance, but on the other, I like some of the animations used in Abilities.

But as is, they clearly weren't designed with to be balanced, whether they're too strong or just terrible. Seriously, I looked at some of Harley's the other night and got actually angry about how bad Confetti Cannon and Cherry Bomb are. Like...I can't even have fun with them. They're just that bad. Who puts 43 start up frames on a mid range low projectile?

BlooEyedBeast

Aqua Hood
So a few of you have brought up good points with some of the abilities being broken/way too strong in themselves. Which I had no idea of tbh. Some of that shit is ridiculous.
I guess what I had in mind when I made the thread were the specials that I mentioned and those similar that would give extra options or just different animation and style. Not the insane unblockable supers or MB prevention moves.
And true, having to unlock all the abilities on every console for tournament would be a pain in the ass without a "buy all" or "unlock all" type of option. :/

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Cyborg gets a trait that gives him a hit of armor to go ham with for like 5 seconds. So dope.

Anyway, everyone is listing all this incredibly broke shit that it seems like almost every character has something ridiculous... and couldn't that be cool in itself? It's not meant to be balanced in terms of the base game with no gear, but these broke abilities might just be balanced with each other. Don't crucify me plz

BlooEyedBeast

Aqua Hood
@WB-chan thats an interesting thought. Although it is more likely that if all the broke shit was in one match at the same time, it would probably be a huge clusterfuck lol.

Yeah we would only be able to even consider this until there is a way to unlock all the abilities. I do like the idea of having an open mind towards it tho. As long as we keep a open mind to burning it to the ground in the case it stales the meta to something ridiculous. Smash Wii u went through this.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
It would be awesome and funny as hell if cyborg got jason's unlimited armor recovery animation. I can just imagine him slumping over like a lazy ass fool and his suit says, "Initiating Reboot Sequence" xD

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
Cheetah getting that "predator crawl" ability as a base moveset would fix so many of her problems. Even if they removed the MB effect on it.

Hell, even her wall jump wouldn't be broken if added to her base moveset.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Let nrs pick and choose what ability's characters have access to on tournament mode. Then switch it up every few months, so that the tier list can be ever changing... Innovation

Is there a list of abilities attainable and if they're level or treasure based.

Have a feeling the free abilities you get from levels are less broken ones

portent

Noob
The only thing I can think of is if NRS makes "competitive" loadouts that they at least attempt to balance.

Robin's Nightwing staff comes to mind where NRS could essentially bring back Inj1 NW simply by making a NW loadout for Robin. Hell, they could even charge for loadouts like that and people would still pay for loadout packs if it meant new "variations" of the characters for competitive play.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
It'd be cool to see something like Banes back breaker, or Nightwings staff, but I don't think it's reasonable. I agree some characters are in need of the extra abilities tho and would like to see some added to base moves

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I have unlocked so far two of Captain Cold's abilities.

1) Upward Ice Blast (Iceshot), it's similar to original Sub's diagonal Iceball. Would be interesting as the second AA.

2) Ice Burst: Replaces horizontal Ice Blast by just shooting an ice shockwave to push back your opponent. It's way stronger than the Wall itself. It's a Soft KD, similar to his 213. I would end the combo with this. Not for zoning. It's an amazing ability, but useless, if it replaces the Ice Burst. For me, the replace shows that NRS is bored to implement this ability to a different keybinding.

There's, also, his air Ice Floors, which would be important to his gameplay to save his ass against his zoning opponents. I would use the Ice Floor to help me decide my next move based on those three distancing choices:

Far away: Set the ice trap or just shoot the Big Freeze for downward zoning.
Medium: Jump on the opponent the moment he tries to zone you out or just set an ice trap.
Close: Possibly for corners. I would wait till they start waking up. Would be an amazing tech to OKI them. Either you do the Close Icicle again, or you jump back for a cross-up JI in case they try to escape.

So, I concur on the idea of implementing the competitive mode ON abilities. You may let the scrubs use the competition mode OFF stats and abilities all the way however they like, but we NEED those abilities to ours side (competition). The problem would be to remap the keybindings for the abilities, because they have the same keybindings, like Ice Burst and Ice Blast, yet there are a lot of other keybindings they never bothered to implement for each ability.

trufenix

bye felicia
Not that I'm for it anymore but I'm still yet to see any completely broken gear abilities. I hear a lot of legends but no actual evidence of something so broke we can't play the game with it.

TonyFatFingers

I usually lose, but at least it's flashy.
It's kind of a step back from the variation system of MKX. Yeah it wasn't always balanced but it added so much more variety. It's a real shame that all of these cool moves were worked on and for most people are going to be completely disregarded.

Yes, superman's unblockable super is BS. But that doesn't have to be made available. Just add the abilities that are easier to balance.

Sagrawa

Noob
Sure some moves are totally overpowered, but some chars have better combinations of gear that are totally OP as well.
I'll take Atrocitus for example:
He doesn't have some ridiculous ability, but he has gear to counter it, like in my setup:
2836 Ability
26.55% Increase of Rage Charge Damage
Rage Charge can trigger an arena transition

You can't just say a char is OP when he has some OP abilities, you have to look at the entire picture.

Plus, I like having to unlock the best stuff to become really competitive. It's not just about spending hours and hours in practice mode anymore, you have to put in some extra work now.