What's new

Poll: Which do you prefer in MK 11-Dash's, Rolls or Run?

Poll: Which do you prefer in MK 11-Dash, Roll or Run?

• Total voters

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I'd go for both Run and Dash, since I'm used to them from anime FGs, but since it's a poll I chose "Run".

However, they need to do something with how to stop the running. Once you input it, your character keeps running till the meter is completely depleted. I hope they fix that by inputting the stopping animations.

Leave the roll for the wakeup options.
Huh? You can jump, block, press a button, etc to stop running. Unless I'm just not understanding what you're saying.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Huh? You can jump, block, press a button, etc to stop running. Unless I'm just not understanding what you're saying.
That's true that you can do them all, but I wanted it to stop running from ground without block, jump and duck, but not from releasing the run button. :/

In anime FGs, if you input and hold the run input, your character runs, and if you release the very same input, your character stops.

This is what's missing from MKX. I hope they fix that in MK11.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
No roll, but either dashing, OR running. Not both.

MKX essentially did away with dash blocking because of the way they made you input the run. In my opinion they should make running a button again, and allow you to "run block". tie running to a meter like before, and make it so you have to run cancel to continue combos, hence you have a system like UMK3, and similar to MKX.

It would essentially be the same thing as with dashing / dash canceling, like how it was in MK9 and the 3D games, but you don't need to make it the overly complicated MKX-style run-canceling.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
That's true that you can do them all, but I wanted it to stop running from ground without block, jump and duck, but not from releasing the run button. :/

In anime FGs, if you input and hold the run input, your character runs, and if you release the very same input, your character stops.

This is what's missing from MKX. I hope they fix that in MK11.
OHH I understand now

Alec

Noob
Ok, but which do you want? Some like dash's, rolling or a run mechanic.
Honestly, I am not sure, I actually trust NRS to use a mechanic that fits the gameplay style they intend.
When I first played MKX, the run mechanic was so different to me, It was fun discovering and learning its uses. The problem was not so much the run as it was its implementation. The way the stamina bar worked, was a pain that didn't even fulfill its purpose of balancing the offense and actually hurt defense options like breaking and back dashing.
If I had to choose, I'd maybe go with dashing because it seems easier to balance?

What I definitely don't want is the "walking tea-bag" for optimal movement we see in games like Tekken, I think it's stupid.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Honestly, I am not sure, I actually trust NRS to use a mechanic that fits the gameplay style they intend.
When I first played MKX, the run mechanic was so different to me, It was fun discovering and learning its uses. The problem was not so much the run as it was its implementation. The way the stamina bar worked, was a pain that didn't even fulfill its purpose of balancing the offense and actually hurt defense options like breaking and back dashing.
If I had to choose, I'd maybe go with dashing because it seems easier to balance?

What I definitely don't want is the "walking tea-bag" for optimal movement we see in games like Tekken, I think it's stupid.
Yeah I hear ya, well I definitely think MK's movement of late has been better than say the 3D games. I personally like the dash mechanic in MK 9 or even if they went with a regular dash block cancel option, and enhanced dash that got you farther across with a little armor but at the cost of 2 bars. I just don't like the run at all, in MK X is was too much, and the fact that we got penalized for backdashing annoyed me honestly. It was obviously a pro aggressive/in your face game. I prefer defensive options and the ability to turtle, zone, get space if I need to.

With UMK3 and MK 4, it works better due to an established run button but I did not like the double tape forward and block for running. Hopefully they go back to the dashing. But good post, I agree man.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
What I never understood is why you had to block to cancel a dash into a run when it would be so much easier to just double tap forward and hold like a normal damn fighter..

Tap tap = dash
Tap tap hold = run

I mean it's not like it even made sense the way they did it. They made canceling into a run more difficult than it ever needed to be considering so many fighters before it have done it well. Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and Tekken to name a few.

I mean take Cassie
242, 33, B12~DB2~FFBL, B12~BF3 (I play brawler)

Realistically. That cancel would be much easier if you omit the block button entirely. Take the stance change button and turn it into a run button if necessary, I mean honestly. They took the most convoluted solution they could think of and put it in. I honestly don't understand where there would be some technical issue preventing a double tap hold from running.

Even if it was a means to make dashing vulnerable still. Just so you had to run and use stamina to cancel into a block to be safe.. It's still going about it the wrong way. Make dashing so you can only cancel it into run.. Which if you double tap and hold..setting the proper hold time in milliseconds is at most a trial and error thing until it feels good. Tell me if I'm overlooking something because I don't understand why they chose that option.

Full disclosure:I had no issues with the run the way it was, it just seemed... what's the word .. Counterintuitive.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Imo the biggest problem with the run in MKX was that especially given the range on those advancing normals and strings, it was just too strong in the neutral as far as forcing a majorly offensive style over a balanced footsies/defensive one.

MK has always been an offense-heavy game, but imo (aside from the obvious character design issues) the neutral was pretty objectively diverse in MK9 in terms of the tempos you could play, and MKX turned this up to a blistering pace but lost some of that depth.

The run cancel as a mechanic is actually pretty cool, and I think it was fun to learn (even if the execution requirements bordered on insane in some cases). So if run is still in the game, here's how I'd handle it:

In neutral: Make it so that the run is something that can be used situationally as an occasional *short burst* in neutral. Think how the MB roll is used in Injustice 2, except not for a bar of regular meter. Maybe slightly more often than MB roll, but nowhere as often as run is allowed as MKX.

In combos: Keep it similar to MKX. You can still cancel as much as you want to within acceptable limits, etc., and have fun to your heart's content cancelling between strings. Maybe we've all agreed that cancelling on block for forever-pressure is dumb, but on hit it's fun and imo it's ok.

In either case, the game design for MK11 is already well beyond done at this time, so it's a moot point.

Last edited:

MKF30

Guess time will tell what we get, seems though hearing a better argument thus far from people who want dash to return. I think majority seem to not be a fan of the run for various reasons, guess we'll seen in Jan. Man, feels like it's dragging lol.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
dash canceling was beyond scrubby bs. Give me the run, just also a little bit more screen space.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
What you're referring to is crouch dashing.

It's hardly "optimal movement" in Tekken when; 1) roughly 10 characters in Tekken 7 out of 40+ can crouch dash. 2) crouch dashing is used to have simultaneous access to moves with a crouch dash input such as EWGFs, Hellsweeps, command throws, and a couple of other character specific things whilst moving forwards. It's not inherently optimal movement on it's own.

Just because you only know it to be a "walking tea-bag" doesn't mean it's stupid. Slow down there buddy.

On the contrary, given that NRS/Midway didn't try to implement anything like that in the 3D MK games, the chances of it being in MK11 is extremely slim. So either way I think your wish will be granted.

Alec

Noob
What you're referring to is crouch dashing.

It's hardly "optimal movement" in Tekken when; 1) roughly 10 characters in Tekken 7 out of 40+ can crouch dash. 2) crouch dashing is used to have simultaneous access to moves with a crouch dash input such as EWGFs, Hellsweeps, command throws, and a couple of other character specific things whilst moving forwards. It's not inherently optimal movement on it's own.

Just because you only know it to be a "walking tea-bag" doesn't mean it's stupid. Slow down there buddy.

On the contrary, given that NRS/Midway didn't try to implement anything like that in the 3D MK games, the chances of it being in MK11 is extremely slim. So either way I think your wish will be granted.
Lol, I wasn't very elaborate on what I meant. Firstly I don't know it only as that, I called it that because I did not remember the term, so I tried, lazily, to convey what I was talking about, and I was actually not commenting on the gameplay aspect there. I can see how it seems that way since that is how I approached the run mechanic.

When I said I find it "stupid", I only meant how it looks, I've seen it on other games, or at least in some capacity, and I really don't like it, because it makes movement look unnatural and it really ruins immersion for me I guess? On that regard I do think it's kind of stupid but I absolutely did not mean any offense to Tekken whatsoever, or any other game for that matter.
The only reason I mentioned it, was pertaining to dash cancel on MK. Overall what I meant is that I don't want, or at least fear, dash cancel to make movement look weird.
In MK9 you could dash cancel into block or attack, and Iirc you could attain faster walk speeds by cancelling the dash with some chars on MK9, even tho' I don't know to which extent it was used competitively, but I remember the result to be VISUALLY similar to that of crouch dashing, which is why I used Tekken as an example.
It is a personal nitpick though, it's one of those things you're more likely to notice in games you don't play, because you're just way too focused on the ones you do.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Crouching dashing? It's like a bit like Tekken's KFD (Korean Forward Dash). I have seen a similar one in anime FGs, like dashing, and then immediately lowblocking. I do believe that some characters do have the privilege to crawl (low profile walking) anything, like Taokaka (Blazblue series) or Caleb (Omen of Sorrow).

What's missing from NRS games is the air blocking. Since there was the discussion about air run or something, I do believe that they'll add the air blocking.

MKF30

Air blocking? hmm not sure how I'd feel about that in MK, as long as you can't block in mid combo I wouldn't mind. I know I2 had some characters with air dashes but not sure that would fit well with MK or not. Would have to see how it works.

But anyway, would seem majority prefer the dash over the run mechanic.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
mk9 style was better, i hope dashing is back. it didn't look like an actual fight with all these dash cancels but it felt better imo
The visual is what NRS cares about, though. They are not going to do an all-new graphical engine and then have the characters sputtering around the whole match doing weird dash block cancels. It clearly wasn't what they intended MK9 to look like in motion, and they made absolutely certain MKX wouldn't have that weird herky-jerky quality to an audience.

Personally I like run but I think it absolutely needs a dedicated button like in MK3. I found the dash into block command from MKX super unwieldy.

Rizz091

Noob
Not only no run but the walk speeds are looking pretty nice! About as fast as injustice 2 speeds. Loving that !