TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Set i created for a MKX FGC internet tv show featuring

-Match up breakdown w weather map style stylus
-Ticker running w all tourney info coming up
- special interviews
- video pre packaged special segments
-too much to list

I may just release first episode because im not sure itll be all worth the work lol. Pessimistic i know but lbsh I wanna practice
GTFO....that sounds awesome and you should create a thread for it. People will like the idea for sure.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
First off, you are more than welcome. I think I understand what you are doing and what you need for right now. My one and only followup question before I type out my (probably too) long answer is this: how much future-proofing would you like/want in your next machine? Does it need to be able to handle multiple projects if you scale, or can any computer build be more focused on achieving a cost effective solution for what you just described. Also, and lastly, and it might not really matter - but the most common footage you are working with, what is it?

I'm assuming by HD you are meaning 1080p, an example of my future-proofing question would be, is 2k, or 4k footage in your near future? Is it mostly h264 codecs you're working with? Not essential factor to know, just curious.

Full answer coming...
Right now a Lot of MXV, mov, and yea codec h.264 however I can definitely see myself buying some 2k video packages like action essentials for adobe after effects and stuff .

I would like it to last longer than usual

Pig Of The Hut

@WynterEnd i should also say currently I'm using a satellite p875 i7 laptop toshiba w no real Gfx card

I'm currently sitting in front of my laptop in premiere w 380 gigs of footage from work today I'm suppose to edit into 7 different parts

My laptop is dying and wants to be shot, I can literally hear it scream "plz end me"

So while it is very rare I have this much in at one time, I have to because the way this was shot (not well)

So whatever I can have in my next CPU to prevent premiere from constantly getting stuck and lagging when I click simple operations but it still sticks because of the mammoth amount of video I have in here would be a great perk to have

WynterEnd

Your sacrifice honors me!
Right now a Lot of MXV, mov, and yea codec h.264 however I can definitely see myself buying some 2k video packages like action essentials for adobe after effects and stuff .

I would like it to last longer than usual
Sure. Okay. I think you mostly have all the information you need.

Processor:
Intel is just much easier to deal with. Something with 8 (threaded) cores should be fine. i7, you won't get any benefit from a k processor. Something like an i7-4790 would fit you fine.

I recommend you spend most on the RAM and GPU. Most gamers and normal people, and what they are using programs like AE for, are not what you are doing with them. Maya will love more RAM. For your purpose the speed of the actual RAM isn't AS important. I recommend at minimum 16, but you should probably look into doing 32. 1600 speed is fine. Multi-threaded renders and compositing will just go smoother and render faster with more RAM.

GPU I will recommend NVIDIA because their drivers play much nicer with Adobe software, period. You can hang on to your current card for a while if you want to spread out the cost, but NVIDIA will give you better bang for the buck. The 970 is nice. Titan is very nice, but probably overkill. 960 is a little lite for your specific purpose, I would look more at a 780 instead.

Power I'd do 850w just in case.

SSD is the only way to go. I'd do a single drive for OS and software personally. Either 256 or 512.

Honestly, my scratch discs are external USB 3.0 drives and I'm working with 12bit 4k RAW video files, natively, without slowdown. For bulk storage I would go external; it's cheaper, you can swap drives in and out as needed, and is plenty fast, and it can plug into future machines.

Hope that helps, if you ever have any other questions feel free to ask!

P.S. - On more industry talk, if what I can guess about your desired experience and work is right, have you considered learning and getting experience in node based compositing softwares? Only a year ago many such software packages (like Nuke and Flame) were prohibitively expensive for all but those working in the upper echelons of the VFX industry, with a single seat often costing upwards of $5,000, but now that has changed. I'd recommend you take a look at Fusion 7. There is a completely free version (which is only VERY lightly crippled). It is an industry grade node-based compositing and 3D animation software. Full version is only $995. Node workflows like that are where this is going. Learn AE for sure, but check out Fusion. For free it is certainly worth playing and learning with, I promise :)

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Sure. Okay. I think you mostly have all the information you need.

Processor:
Intel is just much easier to deal with. Something with 8 (threaded) cores should be fine. i7, you won't get any benefit from a k processor. Something like an i7-4790 would fit you fine.

I recommend you spend most on the RAM and GPU. Most gamers and normal people, and what they are using programs like AE for, are not what you are doing with them. Maya will love more RAM. For your purpose the speed of the actual RAM isn't AS important. I recommend at minimum 16, but you should probably look into doing 32. 1600 speed is fine. Multi-threaded renders and compositing will just go smoother and render faster with more RAM.

GPU I will recommend NVIDIA because their drivers play much nicer with Adobe software, period. You can hang on to your current card for a while if you want to spread out the cost, but NVIDIA will give you better bang for the buck. The 970 is nice. Titan is very nice, but probably overkill. 960 is a little lite for your specific purpose, I would look more at a 780 instead.

Power I'd do 850w just in case.

SSD is the only way to go. I'd do a single drive for OS and software personally. Either 256 or 512.

Honestly, my scratch discs are external USB 3.0 drives and I'm working with 12bit 4k RAW video files, natively, without slowdown. For bulk storage I would go external; it's cheaper, you can swap drives in and out as needed, and is plenty fast, and it can plug into future machines.

Hope that helps, if you ever have any other questions feel free to ask!

P.S. - On more industry talk, if what I can guess about your desired experience and work is right, have you considered learning and getting experience in node based compositing softwares? Only a year ago many such software packages (like Nuke and Flame were prohibitively expensive for all but those working in the upper echelons of the VFX industry, with a single seat often costing upwards of $5,000), but now that has changed. I'd recommend you take a look at Fusion 7. There is a completely free version (which is only VERY lightly crippled). It is an industry grade node-based compositing and 3D animation software. Full version is only $995. Node workflows like that are where this is going. Learn AE for sure, but check out Fusion. For free it is certainly worth playing and learning with, I promise :)
I absolutely will check it out

I come from a live sports production mindset and audio engineer and still learning the after effects ropes so after I feel very confident there I'll definitely take on that program soon after and maybe take formal classes to speed up the process :) appreciate all your great help

WynterEnd

Your sacrifice honors me!
I absolutely will check it out

I come from a live sports production mindset and audio engineer and still learning the after effects ropes so after I feel very confident there I'll definitely take on that program soon after and maybe take formal classes to speed up the process :) appreciate all your great help
You're very welcome. It really isn't hard. It might look daunting at first, but 15 hours of free youtube tutorials and you'll be at least operating it at a decent clip.

You're smart to learn these ropes though, it will pay off for you later.