What's new

Please help me Build my NEW PC ASAP for MKX + After Effects/Premiere

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hey guys Im looking for some great advice from people who know a lot more about this stuff than me. Here's my current build im planning to buy off of newegg or another supply site so i can build my own PC. I plan to use my own Soundcard from current machine as well as Video card from current machine but ill list that as well

Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x -UD5H

Processor i7 4790k

RAM 16 GB DDR3 RAM

HardDrives 2 SSD 128 GIG for Win/OS 256 FOR Video Scratch Disc 2 paired 7200 rpm sata III HD in raid 0 - total is 1 Terabyte

Power supply 650 w psu corsair

Case Not sure, any recommendations?

Provided already Video Card R9 270 x

Sound Card Delta 44

No plans for overclocking

EST seems to be around 1300.00 for parts and ill put it together w help from 2 friends (one friend is pending)

Computer use will heavily be geared towards Heavy Video editing, Lots of After effects, Tons of Rendering, Audio Editing and MKX/Streaming only. I only play ONE GAME

Any thought/advice? Any case recommendations? Thx

As someone who does alot of video editing with adobe premiere elements you'll want a liquid cooler (they're safe now) for your CPU its an absolute must otherwise you'll practically burn a hole in your CPU. You'll also want a SSD HD big enough to put all of your video files on when you're editing so you get the fastest speed renders.

I use the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H80i for CPU cooling

After I upgraded my PC with a liquid cooler and installed a more modern SSD it blazes through renders

what it looks like:

Last edited:

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Posting for future reference because I'd like to start up a scene in central PA and so weeklies for MKX and need a dedicated computer.

Pig Of The Hut

As someone who does alot of video editing with adobe premiere elements you'll want a liquid cooler (they're safe now) for your CPU its an absolute must otherwise you'll practically burn a hole in your CPU. You'll also want a SSD HD big enough to put all of your video files on when you're editing so you get the fastest speed renders.

I use the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H80i for CPU cooling

After I upgraded my PC with a liquid cooler and installed a more modern SSD it blazes through renders

what it looks like:

Thx!

How would u modify my HD parts?

Currently have 4 HDs listed

He did say "Heavy Video editing, Lots of After effects, Tons of Rendering, Audio Editing." The extra RAM should save him time.
Video editing doesn't heavily utilize RAM.
Video editing puts heavy, heavy strain on your CPU.
I've have 16GB of RAM and I've never seen more than 50% used
even with the most heavy gaming and video rendering.

astronout

see you at the top.
Increase the amount of RAM
16 GB is more than plenty for what he plans to do.

@Pig Of The Hut
If an upgrade from the 270x to the 290 is at all feasible, than I would suggest making that change. Combined with the i7, you'll really get the most out of your rig with the upgrade.

for a case, i use a mITX Cooler Master 130 for its portability (pretty much required for military life) and its sleekness as a possible console replacement. For what you're planning though, almost any ATX case should do the job fine. Personally, I would go for something like this as it appears to be well ventilated and has cable management devices built right into the case.

I'd also would suggest a water cooling system for some nice heat reduction.

but what you should really do is browse reddit.com/r/buildapc
they really have some good builds on there than you can steal ideas and possible equipment from. Good luck!

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Watercooling should never be necessary unless you're overclocking. I punish my PC pretty hard and I have an i7 in it. 16 gb RAM is still essentially overkill, but if you have the scrap space for it, it won't hurt anything. This honestly looks more expensive than it actually has to be, but it should be real damn fast. I still need to convince myself to just make the migration to SSD and regret not doing it when I first built my current machine. That much is definitely worth it.

F4tal

Noob
@Pig Of The Hut

Also, if you get the 980, which is one of the best graphics cards out right now, you could save yourself from having to upgrade for probably 4-5 years and be able to play any game at the highest possible setting without overclocking. I know this firsthand because I actually have the exact same processor as you with that graphics card and its worth the investment.

Pig Of The Hut

@Pig Of The Hut

Also, if you get the 980, which is one of the best graphics cards out right now, you could save yourself from having to upgrade for probably 4-5 years and be able to play any game at the highest possible setting without overclocking. I know this firsthand because I actually have the exact same processor as you with that graphics card and its worth the investment.
@astronout

Ok I'm listening :)

So is there a place u guys know where I could trade in my ps3/Xbox for credit towards that card ?

Thx!

How would u modify my HD parts?

Currently have 4 HDs listed
np, I'm not sure what you mean by "Video Scratch Disc"

I have a Samsung 850 EVo 500 GB SSD HD as my operating system HD
and its also the one I put all the video files on I plan to render.
Then I have a 2 TB regular disk drive for Music, downloaded movies, pics ect...

I'm not sure why you would need anything beyond what I have.

And don't listen to these guys telling about you not needing a watercooler because of "overclocking".
Your CPU is going to go overheat and slow down if you're doing heavy rendering because the stock CPU fan your
computer comes with isn't built to handle that.

If you don't believe me than look it up on google
or you can always buy one later after you see your CPU temps max out.

astronout

see you at the top.
@astronout

So is there a place u guys know where I could trade in my ps3/Xbox for credit towards that card ?
Unfortunately, not many places that accept trade-ins are ever going to give you the product's actual street value.
Your best best is to sell your systems to a private buyer and use the cash towards your rig.

However, to finally answer your question, Amazon does take trade-ins for console in exchange for gift cards, which of course can be used towards buying a graphics card.

in addition, going with a fully modular power supply, although a bit more expensive, will really make your life building the PC whilst having proper cable management (makes manipulating the rig in the future hassle free) much easier.

Pig Of The Hut

ooo @Pig Of The Hut my bad. I missed the part about not overclocking. If that is the case, you do not need a Z motherboard or K cpu. Save yourself some money.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RsLMgs
Unfortunately, not many places that accept trade-ins are ever going to give you the product's actual street value.
Your best best is to sell your systems to a private buyer and use the cash towards your rig.

However, to finally answer your question, Amazon does take trade-ins for console in exchange for gift cards, which of course can be used towards buying a graphics card.
np, I'm not sure what you mean by "Video Scratch Disc"

I have a Samsung 850 EVo 500 GB SSD HD as my operating system HD
and its also the one I put all the video files on I plan to render.
Then I have a 2 TB regular disk drive for Music, downloaded movies, pics ect...

I'm not sure why you would need anything beyond what I have.

And don't listen to these guys telling about you not needing a watercooler because of "overclocking".
Your CPU is going to go overheat and slow down if you're doing heavy rendering because the stock CPU fan your
computer comes with isn't built to handle that.

If you don't believe me than look it up on google
or you can always buy one later after you see your CPU temps max out.
Guys you all are awesome thank u so much

I need to go to sleep but will definitely talk more tomorrow about this. I'll rearrange my PCpartpicker w what u guys said HD,
WaterCooling fan wise tomorrow and triple check.
Also will look into amazon trade ins tomorrow

I'll touch base w everyone in the thread tomorrow and update OP w current build

F4tal

Noob
@astronout

Well your best bet is to search for a store called "Disc Replay." I work there part time and it's pretty much like GameStop except the cash values for trade ins are 30% more than GameStop. I know there are about 75 in the country and there is one in Florida and Georgia but I am not sure where at in Georgia. If you happen to find one nearby in Atlanta go there to sell your consoles because you will get more money from them than GameStop. It doesn't hurt to check. Now if there isn't one there your best bet is to just sell your stuff on eBay along with your old Graphics card as a "LOT." This is what I did with my old PC parts, I sold my old CPU, GPU, and motherboard all together for about half the price of my new graphics card.

Medina4life

Media Master
What all will you be doing other than using that rig for a stream pc/ pumping out MKX videos? Do you plan on playing the pc version of the game? So far, your machine is plenty good enough to do what you want to do.

The biggest upgrades I'd get for your goals would be an Nvidia card to take advantage of the CUDA capabilities to help with your rendering. A GTX 980 might be overkill but a 970 will be plenty good to do whatever you desire. It's quite affordable and you can SLI it in the future if you desire the extra oompf. SLI 970 performs better than a solo 980 anyways.

Liquid cooling like the others recommended would be nice tp keep your CPU undercontrol. You can get a closed loop system like the Corsair h80i since they're easy to install and fairly reliable.

Like someone mentioned above, an SSD for your video files would make things more efficient too.

Pig Of The Hut

What all will you be doing other than using that rig for a stream pc/ pumping out MKX videos? Do you plan on playing the pc version of the game? So far, your machine is plenty good enough to do what you want to do.

The biggest upgrades I'd get for your goals would be an Nvidia card to take advantage of the CUDA capabilities to help with your rendering. A GTX 980 might be overkill but a 970 will be plenty good to do whatever you desire. It's quite affordable and you can SLI it in the future if you desire the extra oompf. SLI 970 performs better than a solo 980 anyways.

Liquid cooling like the others recommended would be nice tp keep your CPU undercontrol. You can get a closed loop system like the Corsair h80i since they're easy to install and fairly reliable.

Like someone mentioned above, an SSD for your video files would make things more efficient too.
Game wise MKX only

90% of use will be premiere/after effects etc but I want MKx to run really well

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
To go along with modular power supplies, if you want ease of building get a tool free case too. I have fat fingers and working inside a case is an absolute bear - I'll never do a case that requires tools again.