What's new

Playing people who are on another level.

Something I've been debating with myself on is if playing people who are on a pro level is even beneficial for someone (like me) on a more intermediate level. I, personally, find the experience severly overwhelming and feel like I don't even process much of it other than 'wtf just happened?'. This is probably a subjective thing and, hell, I've had long set with others on that next level and come away from with at least a little bit more knowledge. Still, I wish I could process and learn more much quicker instead of being annihilated for 40+ games lol

Does anyone else experience this? Any pointers other than 'grind'? I feel like there's some barrier keeping me from getting better, I just can't see what it is exactly.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
I, personally, LOVE getting my ass kicked by people who are better than me. For one, it's humbling. Aside from that, it shows you what you need to work on in the game. I used to jump like a madman in MKX, and I got blown up for it all the time. Now in MK1, I hardly jump at all.

I guess my only advice would be, as you already said, use it as a learning experience. Think about WHY that player was beating you, and maybe even try to imitate the techniques they used to beat you. In this game, i feel like walking back after a down poke is really strong, for example, and something you see top players doing. In general, just try not to be predictable. I've been winning sets in KL with Sub, the worst character in the game, because I've mixed things up and actively tried to be as unpredictable as possible.

But in general, keep playing people better than you! It's gonna make matches against people less skilled than you that much sweeter ;)

I guess my only advice would be, as you already said, use it as a learning experience.
See, this is the thing, I get so overwhelmed that I feel like I don't learn that much. I had a KL set with someone in God rank and it felt like my inputs were being read lol. When I'm facing someone who is that good, how do I even change things up? This mental barrier is what I'm struggling with the most.

Something I've been debating with myself on is if playing people who are on a pro level is even beneficial for someone (like me) on a more intermediate level. I, personally, find the experience severly overwhelming and feel like I don't even process much of it other than 'wtf just happened?'. This is probably a subjective thing and, hell, I've had long set with others on that next level and come away from with at least a little bit more knowledge. Still, I wish I could process and learn more much quicker instead of being annihilated for 40+ games lol

Does anyone else experience this? Any pointers other than 'grind'? I feel like there's some barrier keeping me from getting better, I just can't see what it is exactly.
sometimes its not worth it, like when you want to learn your character, but dont get to do anything. at other times, it can be very valuable, like when you are comfortable with your pick and want to learn some meta.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
See, this is the thing, I get so overwhelmed that I feel like I don't learn that much. I had a KL set with someone in God rank and it felt like my inputs were being read lol. When I'm facing someone who is that good, how do I even change things up? This mental barrier is what I'm struggling with the most.
I definitely get what you mean. I think the most important time of those matches is AFTER the match. After the adrenaline has worn off, that's the ideal time to think about how/why you lost and what you should do next time to change it. Just my thoughts. I'm just as intermediate a player as you, these are just things that have helped me, personally lol.

On a slightly off-topic note, even when you get your ass kicked, sometimes it's just fun to admire the better player's skill... ESPECIALLY if you get to play a pro. In MKX I happened to get matched up with WoundCowboy online, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ass-kicking I got :p

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
One of the good features they added was u can watch back on your old sets , i do that when i fight someone i know is kicking my ass just to see what stupid shit i did

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
One of the good features they added was u can watch back on your old sets , i do that when i fight someone i know is kicking my ass just to see what stupid shit i did
How do we do this? Haven't been able to figure it out and I know it's gonna be something really obvious haha.

EDIT:

On the topic of thread, there is some utility in playing people significantly better than you, but only to a certain degree. For example, if you have no idea of the fundamentals of your character or the game, there is very limited utility in being steam-rolled again and again. If you're out there jumping around trying to learn a combo, and you can't land a single hit, you're probably not going to learn much from an extended set, unless you're being talked through by the other player explaining certain things.

As an example, the first smoke I played online I had absolutely no idea about his moves or frame data or anything. Everything looked fast and I wasn't sure how I should be blocking, when it was my turn etc. I could've played a long set and gradually tested out each area I could poke, when it was my turn, but it was more useful for me to go to training mode and figure all it out so I could apply it in match. This is of course in the context of me having some decent fundementals

If on the other hand, you have a good grasp of what you're doing, then it can be helpful to see what the other player is doing that is catching you out. Is it a specific set-up? Are they outspacing you? Long sets can be really helpful, particularly for character matchup knowledge.

Last edited:

NoCharge

Noob
I remember feeling like this with antiairs and flawless blocks up2 in mk11. I started practicing them way later because of how easy it was without them until I needed more to be interested in playing and not get blown up by these better players. I suggest you go and practice deffense against what blows you up, and then punishing after you can deffend.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
How do we do this? Haven't been able to figure it out and I know it's gonna be something really obvious haha.

EDIT:

On the topic of thread, there is some utility in playing people significantly better than you, but only to a certain degree. For example, if you have no idea of the fundamentals of your character or the game, there is very limited utility in being steam-rolled again and again. If you're out there jumping around trying to learn a combo, and you can't land a single hit, you're probably not going to learn much from an extended set, unless you're being talked through by the other player explaining certain things.

As an example, the first smoke I played online I had absolutely no idea about his moves or frame data or anything. Everything looked fast and I wasn't sure how I should be blocking, when it was my turn etc. I could've played a long set and gradually tested out each area I could poke, when it was my turn, but it was more useful for me to go to training mode and figure all it out so I could apply it in match. This is of course in the context of me having some decent fundementals

If on the other hand, you have a good grasp of what you're doing, then it can be helpful to see what the other player is doing that is catching you out. Is it a specific set-up? Are they outspacing you? Long sets can be really helpful, particularly for character matchup knowledge.
Loool i had to google it in the end i couldnt find it for ages you go to kombat kard then go to career stats then use the d-pad to go across to the replays

Read ages ago that it's best to learn against someone that is just above your level. Whenever i found a player like that i've found those matches are much more fun, mostly because they're more evenly matched you can see game swing between each player as they find ways to open up each other.

When you get pummelled and feel like whatever you do they always have an answer, you just play the blocking game. I guess it can be fun to see what is possible if you're that good, and maybe something to strive for, or see some ideas/strategies... but as far as learning, i don't think you gain much. You'd be better off just watching a video at that point.

I actually hate being matched up with someone who is clearly 10x better. It's no fun for me, and i don't think it's that much fun for them either, where they're effectively just in practice mode doing that 25hit 48.7% combo off a low starter that you knew was coming but for some reason weren't blocking low at that moment.

At the same time i don't like playing against people that clearly just picked up the game for the same reason, there's little fun beyond combo practice.

rifraf

Noob
Read ages ago that it's best to learn against someone that is just above your level. Whenever i found a player like that i've found those matches are much more fun, mostly because they're more evenly matched you can see game swing between each player as they find ways to open up each other.
100% this! Although I personally have no issue being destroyed 10 times in a row by a much better player than me, I've found there's not a lot of value in it other than seeing what's possible and how it is to play the game in that level. There's also not much value or fun imo, playing against much worse players.

Close matches with similar lvl players are the most fun and most valuable in my experience.

I, personally, LOVE getting my ass kicked by people who are better than me. For one, it's humbling. Aside from that, it shows you what you need to work on in the game. I used to jump like a madman in MKX, and I got blown up for it all the time. Now in MK1, I hardly jump at all.

I guess my only advice would be, as you already said, use it as a learning experience. Think about WHY that player was beating you, and maybe even try to imitate the techniques they used to beat you. In this game, i feel like walking back after a down poke is really strong, for example, and something you see top players doing. In general, just try not to be predictable. I've been winning sets in KL with Sub, the worst character in the game, because I've mixed things up and actively tried to be as unpredictable as possible.

But in general, keep playing people better than you! It's gonna make matches against people less skilled than you that much sweeter ;)
I'm going through the opposite arc, lol. I barely jump since I'm a turtle but I've been jumping more to air-to-air complacent bunny opponents and on offense to bait Up-Blocks. I can already feel my skill escalating up the uphill incline!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The beautiful thing about modern fighting games is the access to a sophisticated training mode. AND being able to record your matches even after the fact, at least on PlayStation. Anytime I face someone who is either very good, or it’s a matchup I’m not familiar with, I make sure to record the match/matches afterwards (for those that don’t know, on the PlayStation, you can record up to I believe 15 or maybe 30 minutes or so of what just happened in the past). Then I’ll watch it back and see everything they were doing. Then I’ll go to the lab and recreate what they were doing. And see what was negative, unsafe, plus, punishable, etc. Also see if any of the pressure had gaps. Then if they were doing a certain strategy, I’ll recreate with the record feature in training mode, and then try to find ways around it. Then I’ll rewatch the match/matches again to see the little things he was doing. Like if he was microducking, backdashing after certain attacks and then immediately going for an attack essentially predicting a whiff punish, how often he jumped, and just all the little things that aren’t necessarily super obvious or super easy to lab against in training mode. All of this will help me better understand why and how I lost.

Typically after I go through all of this process, I’ll ask that player for some matches again. And then just repeat the process. This is how I found is the best way to improve especially in situations like you described. @GeoffBedlam