What's new

Guide Pig's Presents Sinestro Strategy Guide On How To Dominate The World

In my honest opinion, Sinestro gets shitted on by rush down characters.
Flash bodies him.
his wake up attack can be down poked. (which means you can interrupt it as it will not hit low attacks)
Ya'll sinestros better be good at MBing.

Love how active the sinestro community is. I've been working on some j2 xx (air)db1, b23 xx db1 stuff recently. Trying to find a way to make it work better i'm getting around 34% max off of it right now as a starter. Not tried to use it in a proper match yet though.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I think you guy are underestimating sinestro's zoning. Its not about speed and outzoning your opponent as fast as you can. it is about his mix up from range. Fear blast cannot be neutral crouched from 3/4 to full screen because it hits mid. Meaning that opponents from range must either trade with their own projectile or jump it....only flash can avoid this from range. When the opponent jumps in anticipation of the fear blast they cannot escape impact event...the falling meteor. However, impact ever can be dashed under....this is where shackles come in. so as you can see if you read your opponent really well sinestro can mix up and outzone anyone if you guess correctly.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
My thoughts:

Sinestro is all about space control. His Fear blast is great at blowing up people who try to dash in, which means that they either have to walk back, duck it, or jump. The jump is the easiest option to cover since Sinestro has one of the best D2's in the game. It starts to get tricky once they learn to walk back, and especially when they know to duck the projectile. Almost all of Sinestro's normals are stubby, except B1,3. The problem is that B1,3 is full combo punishable on block. Thankfully, Sinestro has one of the better dashes. This allows him to take advantage of the opponent's hesitancy and to come in with D1, F2, or throw. While Sinestro's D1 is pretty short range, it leads to an almost guaranteed mixup on hit. You can either throw, go for F2,D1, or B2.The D1 is only slightly negative on block, so it carries very little risk

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
My thoughts:

Sinestro is all about space control. His Fear blast is great at blowing up people who try to dash in, which means that they either have to walk back, duck it, or jump. The jump is the easiest option to cover since Sinestro has one of the best D2's in the game. It starts to get tricky once they learn to walk back, and especially when they know to duck the projectile. Almost all of Sinestro's normals are stubby, except B1,3. The problem is that B1,3 is full combo punishable on block. Thankfully, Sinestro has one of the better dashes. This allows him to take advantage of the opponent's hesitancy and to come in with D1, F2, or throw. While Sinestro's D1 is pretty short range, it leads to an almost guaranteed mixup on hit. You can either throw, go for F2,D1, or B2.The D1 is only slightly negative on block, so it carries very little risk
Thanks Wound! Just to follow up, if your opponent starts reading your dashes, they'll either try to throw out a poke/normal of their own, or neutral jump/jump forward. Those options get blown up by walk back B213 and D2. The D2 will obviously lead into a combo, and the B213 string, the B2 will whiff but the end of the string will still hit. If you catch them blocking the last two hits of the string, the final spike is +11 and you get a free Fear Blast/another dash mixup. If you have your trait out you can use it after the juggle to combo into shackles as well.

I think you guy are underestimating sinestro's zoning. Its not about speed and outzoning your opponent as fast as you can. it is about his mix up from range. Fear blast cannot be neutral crouched from 3/4 to full screen because it hits mid. Meaning that opponents from range must either trade with their own projectile or jump it....only flash can avoid this from range. When the opponent jumps in anticipation of the fear blast they cannot escape impact event...the falling meteor. However, impact ever can be dashed under....this is where shackles come in. so as you can see if you read your opponent really well sinestro can mix up and outzone anyone if you guess correctly.
Unfortunately Sinestro's lack of speed is part of the problem given how quick some characters are (try the AI on hard to see how easily it can get under him). At long range all he has is the fireball. It his crouched, great. But that's all you can do. It renders shackles useless (except for trait charging).
Rocks aren't reliable because they are slow and can be dodged. You might get away with mixing up fireball and rock, but if they are moving to get in close, the rock doesn't really address this. It's a poor AA in that respect. Better to let them get closer and use uppercut xx spider punch MB or standing 3 which, if you're good at the timing and the spacing can link into shackle.
But the fireball is a terrible tool for speed and as such he is outzoned a lot and has a whole lot of not very much to help him.

Sinestro isn't a bad character and there are doubtless much better players than me who can use him. But that's true of any character. His real problem is that he simply has nothing outstanding. He has no real strengths, he sucks by virtue of comparison and it's a real shame. I can't really see how they can buff him without chaning things significantly and that simply won't happen. At least allow MB for rock to be more consistent. As it stands you cannot MB rock from a cancel.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Unfortunately Sinestro's lack of speed is part of the problem given how quick some characters are (try the AI on hard to see how easily it can get under him). At long range all he has is the fireball. It his crouched, great. But that's all you can do. It renders shackles useless (except for trait charging).
Rocks aren't reliable because they are slow and can be dodged. You might get away with mixing up fireball and rock, but if they are moving to get in close, the rock doesn't really address this. It's a poor AA in that respect. Better to let them get closer and use uppercut xx spider punch MB or standing 3 which, if you're good at the timing and the spacing can link into shackle.
But the fireball is a terrible tool for speed and as such he is outzoned a lot and has a whole lot of not very much to help him.

Sinestro isn't a bad character and there are doubtless much better players than me who can use him. But that's true of any character. His real problem is that he simply has nothing outstanding. He has no real strengths, he sucks by virtue of comparison and it's a real shame. I can't really see how they can buff him without chaning things significantly and that simply won't happen. At least allow MB for rock to be more consistent. As it stands you cannot MB rock from a cancel.

I understand what you mean but Sinestro should not be using any of his specials if the opponent is a little beyond half screen or closer. His specials are to slow for that. When the opponent gets closer than 3/4 screen use your constructs. b3, f2-whiff-d23, b2-whiff-23, d2, and your trait. Send them fullscreen and make them come back through the last 1/4 of the stage. This is where your specials should be used.

I just made a post about what to do when the opponent breaks your zoning and gets in. Read that then let me know.