What's new

Petition: MK9 to be included in the main list of games for EVO 2014

Alright. So ive read through this carefully and have some things to say.

I was never a consistent top 8 placer in MK. I stayed in top 16 to top 32 range and i think thats where my character fits. But playing MK9 taught me something about myself I didnt previously know.

I am pretty fucking good at fighting games.

It wasnt until i started to travel and compete at a high level that i realized how much i had actually learned about fundamentals and footsies,spacing, reads etc. When my friend Temjiin was getting hype over SCVs release i just kinda bought it to support him but i was suprised how quickly and how well i did, getting 2nd in a local tourney and only losing to jwong.

We were all brought here by our love for mk. Whether it was the memories of playing it in the arcades as a kid, with your siblings on genesis or just topping the CPU on ladder mode over and over. We all at one point in time loved MK, there is no denying that.

But like myself, people grow and they learn more and expand their knowledge. they want to try the bigger more popular games because MK gave them the confidence to do so. You see some NRS players do very well in SF games or SC games or GG games or what have you, because they discovered a talent for it. MK is a gateway game. It turned casual gamers into competitive gamers, and competitive gamers into pros. and like any sport or anything, the little guys sometimes get left in the dust. Bands arent always loyal to their first manager, MMA athletes dont stay with the first promotion to sign them, etc etc. Does that mean they dont appreciate them? absolutely not. Players like pig and the cd bros and im sure many more recognize MK for giving them their jump start they needed. But unfortunately for MK9, they dont need it anymore.

Anyone that knows me knows im an extremely loyal, extremely modest dude. MK9 is and always will be my main game because its the one that gave me a chance to show everyone how good i really am and i dont need the fame of succeeding in a different game. I venture outside of MK because i love fighting games but I dont attend tournies that dont have a large MK showing. If my locals stopped holding MK on the side id stop attending. So if you love MK because of the fun times and the memories and hype moments and hours of entertainment it gave you please vote. If it was just another fighting game that was imperfect to you then dont. All we can do is start this, and whatever happens after is left up to something thats bigger than us.

TL;DR Vote if mk touched your life, dont if its just another FG.(im also gonna be the best MMH)
Alright. So ive read through this carefully and have some things to say.

I was never a consistent top 8 placer in MK. I stayed in top 16 to top 32 range and i think thats where my character fits. But playing MK9 taught me something about myself I didnt previously know.

I am pretty fucking good at fighting games.

It wasnt until i started to travel and compete at a high level that i realized how much i had actually learned about fundamentals and footsies,spacing, reads etc. When my friend Temjiin was getting hype over SCVs release i just kinda bought it to support him but i was suprised how quickly and how well i did, getting 2nd in a local tourney and only losing to jwong.

We were all brought here by our love for mk. Whether it was the memories of playing it in the arcades as a kid, with your siblings on genesis or just topping the CPU on ladder mode over and over. We all at one point in time loved MK, there is no denying that.

But like myself, people grow and they learn more and expand their knowledge. they want to try the bigger more popular games because MK gave them the confidence to do so. You see some NRS players do very well in SF games or SC games or GG games or what have you, because they discovered a talent for it. MK is a gateway game. It turned casual gamers into competitive gamers, and competitive gamers into pros. and like any sport or anything, the little guys sometimes get left in the dust. Bands arent always loyal to their first manager, MMA athletes dont stay with the first promotion to sign them, etc etc. Does that mean they dont appreciate them? absolutely not. Players like pig and the cd bros and im sure many more recognize MK for giving them their jump start they needed. But unfortunately for MK9, they dont need it anymore.

Anyone that knows me knows im an extremely loyal, extremely modest dude. MK9 is and always will be my main game because its the one that gave me a chance to show everyone how good i really am and i dont need the fame of succeeding in a different game. I venture outside of MK because i love fighting games but I dont attend tournies that dont have a large MK showing. If my locals stopped holding MK on the side id stop attending. So if you love MK because of the fun times and the memories and hype moments and hours of entertainment it gave you please vote. If it was just another fighting game that was imperfect to you then dont. All we can do is start this, and whatever happens after is left up to something thats bigger than us.

TL;DR Vote if mk touched your life, dont if its just another FG.(im also gonna be the best MMH)
This is the best post in here. everyone read it. Mk did this for so many of us. brought us all together and taught us a lot. It's a gateway game. but unfortunately the more u learn, the more knowledge u get, the more u realize how stupid the game is. we love mk. but because some of us r smarter now and know what is acceptable and what is unacceptable in a fighting game, we know that mk isn't great at being a good fighting game and never has been . since it came out in the 90s it's always been shit on a competitive level. blood n guts made this game famous. not the actual gameplay. NRs is learning though. Mk 9 was a good first effort by them to make a competive game. injustice was more balanced. they r learning so have faith. we'll get there

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
MK9 had its run. in my opinion, this year's EVO for MK wasn't hype. Although, Cyrax did win lol which is awesome :). I dont think it should or will be at EVO next year. Injustice needs more support.

I feel like imma get blown up :( oh well.

Flagg

Noob
MK9 had its run. in my opinion, this year's EVO for MK wasn't hype. Although, Cyrax did win lol which is awesome :). I dont think it should or will be at EVO next year. Injustice needs more support.

I feel like imma get blown up :( oh well.
There's something of a paradox here. People are saying "forget MK, Injustice needs support" so the message here is, "only support one game at a time"? You cannot tell me every piece of tech was found in MK 9 or that all characters had been used to their absolute full potential.

I'd go as far to say, what's the point in supporting Injustice if in a couple of years, 90% of people will drop that. Why waste all that time if by 2015, no one will be bothering with it anymore.

Do people at TYM really believe that fighters have a 2-3 year lifespan?

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
There's something of a paradox here. People are saying "forget MK, Injustice needs support" so the message here is, "only support one game at a time"? You cannot tell me every piece of tech was found in MK 9 or that all characters had been used to their absolute full potential.

I'd go as far to say, what's the point in supporting Injustice if in a couple of years, 90% of people will drop that. Why waste all that time if by 2015, no one will be bothering with it anymore.

Do people at TYM really believe that fighters have a 2-3 year lifespan?
i understand that. its true. I just believe mk9 has had its run, its not nearly as hype as it used to be. Its gotten to become waaaay too broken and people are tired of seeing the same shit. not saying injustice is a haven for new shit, but the game is still younger than mk9 and early in its life. Lets see how it goes. Im not opposed to mk9 being in EVO, just i probably wont tune in.

mk is done guys, how can you expect a game to be at evo when people dont even play it anymore. mk was at nec and it didnt even have 30 people.

Or just level up? Kabal and Kenshi haven't won an EVO yet and they aren't that hard to beat if you grind out the MU.
All i'm going to do to show you why you're an idiot is post this quote from R.E.O.
Kabal. We're talking about a character with no even match-ups, for christ's sake. How stupid does that look and sound? How could someone possibly fathom or justify a character like that who exists as being okay? To make things worse, 80% of the cast could barely even fight the next character in line that was Kenshi. What an imbalanced train wreck.

F4tal

Noob
All i'm going to do to show you why you're an idiot is post this quote from R.E.O.
Yet 16 Bit beat REO and PL with Kitana, a character that YOU use and he beat their Kabal's LOL. Kabal doesn't run MK9, good players who invested a lot of their time with the character do, like REO, Detroit, Curbolicious and Cat. If Kabal is so broken that why don't you pick him up and win? Level up and deal with what is in the game or don't play the game at all.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
If MK9 gets a major patch, then yeah I could support the cause.

Otherwise just stick to waiting for MK10.

F4tal

Noob
MK9 is almost 3 years old it won't get a patch. Although I did sign because I am a die hard MK fan, the game has ran it's course and everyone wants to focus on Injustice and be successful in that. It honestly wouldn't mean much beating 2014 Pig, Maxter, etc because people like them are focusing on Injustice. It wouldn't be the same as beating them when they were in their prime during the days of MK9.

I still don't complain about the top 5 LOL.
I dont complain, i've moved on (the best MK9 tech i've learned), i just express the sentiment that the vast majority agree that these three characters ruin the game. If the game were played i would like to see better character variety than 10 kabals, 3-5 kenshis, 5 cyrax, and 10 other coming out of pools.

I'm gonna sign this, I want to take revenge on the 2 grand finalist that knocked me out of a chance on making top 8 or possibly winning EVO, DJT & REO

F4tal

Noob
Can't believe people still take injustice seriously. A gimmick game that takes no fundamentals to be good at lol. With that said, MK coming back would be awesome. Lbsh 2012 hype with MK was epic
You play Injustice on PSN don't act like you don't play it dawg.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
The reason why MK9 won't be at EVO next year is because the campaign is tainted by players with very little prior FGC experience, and find the prospect of simply not being a very good player an extremely foreign premise, as seen below:

Only an idiot would quote a guy who entertained the idea that Kenshi goes....

completely...

even...

with Kabal.

I dont complain, i've moved on (the best MK9 tech i've learned), i just express the sentiment that the vast majority agree that these three characters ruin the game. If the game were played i would like to see better character variety than 10 kabals, 3-5 kenshis, 5 cyrax, and 10 other coming out of pools.
Yes, such as the game-breaking discovery that, and I quote: "Stryker is able to uppercut Kung Lao twice during an EX Teleport"?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
i understand that. its true. I just believe mk9 has had its run, its not nearly as hype as it used to be. Its gotten to become waaaay too broken and people are tired of seeing the same shit. not saying injustice is a haven for new shit, but the game is still younger than mk9 and early in its life. Lets see how it goes. Im not opposed to mk9 being in EVO, just i probably wont tune in.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Things that are wrong with this thread:
  • People think the same 15 people run the game.
  • People trash the skill of the other 200 people that played this game at a high level.
  • Mediocre online warriors trashing MK and saying 2 characters run the game, even though they play at an average level.
  • 2013 people trashing a game they never played.
  • People not going to EVO not wanting the game to be there for whatever reason.
Poop.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Even if it isnt a main game there is no reason it cant be a side tourney. Only difference would be smaller pots and no stream, but you could still record matches and everything.

There could still be a side tourney, hell even SC5 last year had a side tourney. As for the petition, I'm pretty sure Mr. Wizard doesn't care about signatures, he cares for the number of people that enter tournies. The people that signed the petition does not equal the people that will actually sign up for EVO.