What's new

Personal Kitana tricks

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
wow...I've been using Kitana from day 1 and I never even thought of doing 1,1,2, fake out kick. If anything using 1,1 I would 1,1, fan cutter. I love the way 114fakeout looks! Thanks Guamo!

DrDogg

Noob
wow...I've been using Kitana from day 1 and I never even thought of doing 1,1,2, fake out kick. If anything using 1,1 I would 1,1, fan cutter. I love the way 114fakeout looks! Thanks Guamo!
It's pretty much useless at high levels though. There's no reason to ever stand block against Kitana. She only has two overhead attacks and both are mid-combo and extremely easy to see coming. Using Fake Out Kick at the end of combos is only good against people who don't know Kitana well. Against anyone who does, you're just losing offensive momentum, which is extremely important in this game.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
It's pretty much useless at high levels though. There's no reason to ever stand block against Kitana. She only has two overhead attacks and both are mid-combo and extremely easy to see coming. Using Fake Out Kick at the end of combos is only good against people who don't know Kitana well. Against anyone who does, you're just losing offensive momentum, which is extremely important in this game.
Yeah, I actually agree with you. I've played a few people who always jump out before the fake out kick...well, at least it's "fancy" looking! :)

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
All of Kitana's other specials are guaranteed and must be blocked when cancelled into after 112, that's why fake-out kick isn't much more than a gimmick there. Cutter is the safest and best option with its frame advantage, but an ex fan has also has a high reward. Even if a fake-out kick connects, all you're doing is giving the opponent a free wakeup opportunity while dishing out a small bit of damage.

Warborn

Freebies for all
f+4,1 has good recovery on block. Close to even. Has anyone made use of f+4,3? It's like that move doesn't exist.

I only use 1 when d+1 doesn't come out(which is too fucking often). I usually just do 1,1 throw or something.
so i'm not the only one that pulls out a 1,1 when I'm going for a d+1. I was about to throw that controller out!

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
My strategy is wake up on Square boost or airlift. I use Her bnb and 2 of my made up combos. then towards the end i spam iaf and ground fan because they block and i take advantage of block damage. And mix up combos f4, 1 fake out kick and if they block f21 i neutral jump punch or jump over them and kick then air fan or d4

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
My strategy is wake up on Square boost or airlift. I use Her bnb and 2 of my made up combos. then towards the end i spam iaf and ground fan because they block and i take advantage of block damage. And mix up combos f4, 1 fake out kick and if they block f21 i neutral jump punch or jump over them and kick then air fan or d4
a few things:
1. fan lift really isn't that good of a wakeup option against good players, as it can be ducked, crossed-up, or blocked and easily punished. square boost is her only option that's truly safe, but not that good against chars who can outzone you. fuck kitana's wakeups, lol.

2. f41~fake out kick is another thing that's good against inexperienced players, but not so much against experienced players. since specials cancelled into after f41 are not true combos, they should have the ability to poke out of it or jump. i'm pretty sure about this, but it could use clarification. either way, when i cancel into special after f41 i always go with cutter, as it gives you a safe jump on hit and you don't have to worry about the opponent's wakeup.

3. when i do f21, on block i usually gauge the opponent's reactions by using d1~cutter the first time. if they cross you up, d1 can still anti air them if done properly, and you know to njp the next time.

Magnet

No Longer Sh*t Tier!
2. f41~fake out kick is another thing that's good against inexperienced players, but not so much against experienced players. since specials cancelled into after f41 are not true combos, they should have the ability to poke out of it or jump. i'm pretty sure about this, but it could use clarification. either way, when i cancel into special after f41 i always go with cutter, as it gives you a safe jump on hit and you don't have to worry about the opponent's wakeup.
specials can be 2in1'd out of f4 1; meaning they are "true" combos. it just so happens that the Fake Out Kick can be poked out of/evaded since it has slow start up. ;)

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
My bad, I was thinking of it like 112~cutter where cutter can be blocked even if 112 hits. Regardless, fake-out kick is very situational and not much more than a gimmick IMO.

I don't know if you guys knew this, but I just got my ass handed to me in a Kitana mirror match, the dude did JIP, F+4, his choice of sweep or the overhead (2)

I've never seen this before and just thought I'd let you know, first time I see a Kitana do this >.>

Also, it's safe and neutral on block I believe.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
A few things I've learned/noticed over the past few days:

1. 3 is a really good anti-air. I remember when I first picked up Kitana and didn't know shit about how to play her I would AA with 33~pretty kick. Somehow I forgot about it. 3~fan, dash, 2~fan lift for a full AA combo. Its advantage over iaf is that iaf's aren't always placed right in the air and can whiff, but the disadvantage is that it's not as fast as other characters' AA jabs, which gives a slight risk of a jp connecting.

2. This is situational, and shouldn't be used if your opponent knows how to mix things up properly, but when you notice your opponent crossing you up every time on wakeup it can be a good idea to keep waking up with cutter. It moves you forward so their jp will whiff and you won't even eat chip damage, but not so good when your opponent has air projectiles and can react quick enough to notice the situation. On that note, however, I'm not sure if this only happens in the left corner, but ex fan lift hits every time on crossups during your wakeup in the corner.

3. I've been getting used to hit confirming specials after 2,1. However, when your opponent crosses you up, it is much better to finish the normal 212 string instead of ending at 21. The last hit pushes you way forward and the cross up punch will whiff.

If you notice your opponent is always crossing you up on wake up, just do a NJP. Unless they have massive advantage on your knockdown, you'll hit them.

And 3 has much more vertical range than 2, making it better for meatier jump ins. I think 2 does better against JK's though, purely because you're using a normal with a weapons hit box.

Geochron

Noob
Whenever I use Kitana's f41 midscreen, I go straight for dash 2~fan lift.
I do the same thing but just 2~fan lift, originally it was out of a habit of actually landing the f4,1 and then comboing into 2~fan lift. It works well against aggressive players.

other random things:
- cancelling anything and everything into db4 (fakeout kick). f4,1~db4; f4~db4; 2,1~db4. It looks weird and is unexpected.
- option select (sort of) against predictable teleporing Kung Laos & Sektors. Do iAF, if they teleport on reaction to your jump it turns into an instant butt slam. You can also do the opposite (butt slam becomes iAF).
- Naked fan lift against Mileena's telekick. Especially works if they abuse telekick/are predictable. Careful if she has meter.
- Dash under~fan lift. When someone starts to jump over you, dash under and press 2. Since you end up on the other side your ff becomes bb, so pressing 2 will do the fan lift (bb2). It can usually catch them in the air before they even land. This also works against Raiden's teleport - dash forward, if he teleports press 2.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
- Naked fan lift against Mileena's telekick. Especially works if they abuse telekick/are predictable. Careful if she has meter.
You can fan lift the telekick, but it isn't really worth it considering it has to be baited and loses to ex, and normal telekick is already punishable with 2~fan 2~fan lit.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Does this still work if they do air sai right after telekick? Most decent Mileena's I see usually do that.
Yes. Air sai after telekick only jails on ex (which can be avoided by ducking the sai there). The only exception, I think, is Reptile due to some hitbox issue.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
One thing that I've been using lately is her 11 string. It has helped me keep pressure on my opponents up close and leads to cutter on hit confirm.