What's new

Personal Kitana tricks

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So, I'm making this topic just to share what us Kitana players do that is different from her general strategy, but effective.

One thing that catches people off guard for me is this:

Whenever I use Kitana's f41 midscreen, I go straight for dash 2~fan lift. When someone is properly guarding f41, instead of cancelling into cutter, I do the dash 2~fan lift anyway. Despite the unsafeness of fan lift, most people release block directly after f41 and don't anticipate this afterwards, so they typically get hit by it unless they choose to jump or poke.

Another one I've been trying out is 112~ex fan. 112~cutter is a great string that catches people off guard, so I thought why not try an ex fan? It's a moderate risk/high reward attack, and therefore great to throw out every now and then (abusing 112 strings will teach them to block, it's not a "true" combo and they can block the attack cancelled into even if they eat the 112).

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
f+4,1 has good recovery on block. Close to even. Has anyone made use of f+4,3? It's like that move doesn't exist.

I only use 1 when d+1 doesn't come out(which is too fucking often). I usually just do 1,1 throw or something.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Lol, f4b3 (i think that's what it is, not f43, or maybe that is it) is absolutely useless from what I can tell. If you have 3 options off of the same starter, one being an overhead launcher and one being a low, what purpose does the third serve? The same goes for the f312 string, absolutely useless. But every character has useless strings it seems.

And 1 is generally not a go-to move as it is 14 frames, inferior to 2 (11 frames), but I still find it useful when the opportunity presents itself.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I quite like f312 occasionally. You can be poked out after 1 but rarely are as you have the option of f31-cutter. On block an ex lift straight after, though risky can often catch people out.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

DrDogg

Noob
Kitana has no overhead/low mixup in high level play, so I ignore most of her low options from combos. At best, I'll toss one out as a guard check from time to time.

Also, f+3,1 is decent because you can hit confirm into a special and the f+3 jumps over some low attacks with proper timing. It also evades throws if you execute early enough.

In a game like MK that has a very small number of attacks per character, I find that using a few attacks that aren't in the normal rotation can throw my opponent off just long enough for me to either score some chip damage or maybe even get a combo.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
How exactly are you supposed to beat the f+4,1 and f+4,b+4 mixup? Because I keep hearing that it's easy to react to here and I've still not encountered anyone that can. You definitely can't see it so how do you fuzzy guard it? I've had like 3 people try in practice and they couldn't.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Yeah, I actually do use f4b4 from time to time. It's one of those things that looks like you can block on reaction, but you never do.

I always thought it was pretty good in high level gameplay, because you have to options: overhead f+4, 2 or a low f+4, b+4, and I always throw them out naked once in a while, I never do it with a jip or anything like that.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
1.) F4+3 is usless...
2.)F3+1 is very underrated. I tend to do F3+1 then Fan Cutter
3.)F2+fake out kick needs to be utilized more often...mind games people, mind games!

DrDogg

Noob
3.)F2+fake out kick needs to be utilized more often...mind games people, mind games!
Where is the mind game here? There's no reason to do anything other than block low after f+2. She has no overhead option from this string, and at a certain distance, most opponents will poke out of all follow up options after f+2.

How exactly are you supposed to beat the f+4,1 and f+4,b+4 mixup? Because I keep hearing that it's easy to react to here and I've still not encountered anyone that can. You definitely can't see it so how do you fuzzy guard it? I've had like 3 people try in practice and they couldn't.
I can see it as long as I'm looking for it. If I don't practice I'll get hit, but it's certainly not impossible to see. It's not very fast and since you're already blocking, you don't have to deal with block delay. You just need good reactions. People block faster attacks in Soul Calibur.

Even if you can't react to it, there's no reason to ever block low. The sweep inflicts minimal damage.

AestheticLove

Staff Tier
i personally like doing 2,1, ex fan then bnb. i also like f4,1, cutter. If they start to block the cutter you can fake kick. I also use 2, cutter. =]

Or realistic.

To contribute something though, D4 into B1F2. If it hits, it hits and you can potentially get a fan lift but the hit confirm window is low. If the opponent goes for a cross up after your D4, you escape easily because F2 pushes you far enough.

RunwayMafia

Well, I know it's not a mind game I just meant I've had a lot of success doing the F2 fake out kick because some many people are expecting the F2+1...I dunno...lol

aj1701

Noob
Well, I know it's not a mind game I just meant I've had a lot of success doing the F2 fake out kick because some many people are expecting the F2+1...I dunno...lol
I thought that was what a mind game was; keeping your opponent not knowing what to expect.

RunwayMafia

I thought that was what a mind game was; keeping your opponent not knowing what to expect.
Thank you...in my opinion it is considered a mind game and it does throw off opponents...granted it's not the best but hey, I'm not complaining....she has so many good tools!

I just wanna state that 1,1 is an underrated move. Most people go to 21 for its superior range and faster speed, but let me ask you this: what if they jump?

21 lift does not connect on someone who jumper RIGHT when you did the attack. However, 11 has a bouncier juggle, and WILL connect. I myself need to use it more. So if you are ever unsure if you have enough time to actually land that 21, try 11 if you find your opponent is jumpy. It just might get you a combo whereas 21 would not. However, 21 is still very good.

Another thing about 21, say you DID try to use it and they cleared its hitbox and they have jumped over you. I almost always go ahead and complete the combo because Kitana slides forward very far on the last hit. It has saved me from punishment for missing many times.

F43 is stupid. Idk why it's there. The guy who asked about the 3 options, I have an answer for you that they could have possibly done though. If you had an overhead option (no combo, just a hit), a low option, (still no combo) and then a high option that lead to a combo, it would have made a lot more sense to have 3.