What's new

PC/Steam Version - Performance, Technical and General Discussion Thread

Not only did it have a rough start with its shitty launch, ...
It actually had an excellent launch. It was about a month in, the patch that introduced 60 FPS intros, Krypt, etc., that caused performance issues for everyone, which lasted a good two to three months as they figured things out. The game's been excellent since.

NRS doesnt give a f about the pc version.
Of course not. They don't work on that version of the game.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I don't understand why we can't have cross-play on PC too. It's definitely NRS and WB not wanting to give it to PC players. There are no other reasons honestly.
I give you 2 reasons : hackers and lag switchers ...... NRS is being smart in avoid the cross play for PC, since PC environment is not 100% safe due these assholes doing dirty tactics to fuck off the fun factor, hehe :D

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
I give you 2 reasons : hackers and lag switchers ...... NRS is being smart in avoid the cross play for PC, since PC environment is not 100% safe due these assholes doing dirty tactics to fuck off the fun factor, hehe :D
How about they put that "report" thingy in work then? People have reported them hundreds of times and still nothing. It's not their fault, it's WB's for not issuing a ban.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
How about they put that "report" thingy in work then? People have reported them hundreds of times and still nothing. It's not their fault, it's WB's for not issuing a ban.
wiil never happen ...... PC plataform is just a leftover for them, they releaase a PC version, only to see if this version gives some profit, but their main focus are the consoles version ..... PC and Switch version probably are more cheaper to port or develop and so, once their profit reach a certain milestone , the developers stop to care about, while the consoles version, since they are responsible for 90% of the huge profit, they have all attention and priority for them ..... they simple don't fucking care anymore about the state of MK 11 on PC , hehe

We've been getting last few patches with consoles, even few hours earlier. There will be less and less patches now after Ultimate so i doubt that's the problem. They can do it if they want to.
What i always imagined the reason of this issue to be was hardware being too different and non-compatible between pc and consoles. with the main bottleneck being console still using HDD compared to what i would imagine to be the majority of pc's using a way faster SSD resulting in too much balancing work. but don't @ me on that i know nothing on this besides the unsignificant drop of knowledge i got out of oceans worth of it ,is from reading bits and pieces here and there. but my logic behind this was cause of the settings options 'frameskip' and 'dynamic resolution' which i'm sure every1 knows their respective functions in the game so it made sense to me if they'd have to do all this between 2 pc's with a bit of performance difference than it could just be to hard to do it between a pc and console having even bigger differences performance-wise. i'm prolly just talking bs but even if so, pls enlighten me :p

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
What i always imagined the reason of this issue to be was hardware being too different and non-compatible between pc and consoles. with the main bottleneck being console still using HDD compared to what i would imagine to be the majority of pc's using a way faster SSD resulting in too much balancing work. but don't @ me on that i know nothing on this besides the unsignificant drop of knowledge i got out of oceans worth of it ,is from reading bits and pieces here and there. but my logic behind this was cause of the settings options 'frameskip' and 'dynamic resolution' which i'm sure every1 knows their respective functions in the game so it made sense to me if they'd have to do all this between 2 pc's with a bit of performance difference than it could just be to hard to do it between a pc and console having even bigger differences performance-wise. i'm prolly just talking bs but even if so, pls enlighten me :p
I wouldn't worry about that SSD one. Load times are always variable and going boil down to a just wait until everyone is done situation. It would be more than a little strange if the game had an expectation built around how long a load takes, even if it was just one relating to the other guy taking awhile longer than you. Moving forward it's even more true, because none of the four main consoles are going to have the same class storage solutions with one another.

I am inclined to think the freedom PC is giving to people to run under spec could bring in extra performance instability to consoles that otherwise wouldn't have to deal with it could be a factor. People are allowed to play online, ranked no less, with low fps. Benchmark scoring alone is a concept that is probably built into the PC version and not even in NRS's root codebase. It's hard to know where frameskip and and dynamic resolution abilities live (I think dynamic res is part of the Unreal stuff but you'd have to set it up and turn it on somewhere), because dynamic resolution does see use on some console games.

Then there is the greater hacker pool which then suddenly becomes a problem for everyone (if cross play includes ranked which it sounds like it may not).

There is almost certainly some need to engage QLOC to help. What does that cost and how does that weigh against the size of the player pool?

Does PC getting it turn into the Switch players saying "Everyone but us? We second class. No we are third class!" and nobody wants to let Switch players on.

It seems like something someone could have a conversation about and not want to do. It would be nice if it all worked out and it has been done before.

mrapchem

Noob
Is anyone else having issues getting connected to online matches lately? I'm connected to the servers - or so I believe. I can go online, have full access to towers and everything, but I can't accept invites nor can I challenge anyone online.

I've reset my PC, uninstalled/re-installed the game, updated my Nvidia drivers and verified the integrity of my files on Steam. I'm not quite sure what to do next.

What i always imagined the reason of this issue to be was hardware being too different and non-compatible between pc and consoles. with the main bottleneck being console still using HDD compared to what i would imagine to be the majority of pc's using a way faster SSD resulting in too much balancing work.
That's not the issue. Most games, esp. fighters load everything they need before the match. At worst the SSD user just sits at the 100% loaded screen longer until the opponent's loads up. Next gen games is where things will change dramatically as the SSD's are designed to be used to stream in assets as required.

Even different hardware isn't that much of an issue, there's plenty of PC/console crossplay games, SF5 being a prime example in fighters. Just depends on whether the dev's are willing to add the support. Although there's a lot more to account for with that due to the randomness of different PC setups, but there's plenty of options around that as well. Also SF5 PC may have been a day1 consideration, or possibly even requirement, so it was always going to be allowed for. NRS were only doing the console versions so having to deal with a PC port and it's intricacies was never accounted for.

It doesn't mean the dev's of the PC port can't add it. So long as there's an API that can hook into NRS' implementation of crossplay, which i would imagine should be somewhat generic, it not an option that is off the table.

Other fighting games like Street Fighter 5, killer instinct, and Battle for The Grid have crossplay between PC and console so I don’t think it’s a hardware limitation. EDIT....I really should read all replied before responding...lol

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Been playing about a week with a slightly upgraded CPU (Ryzen 1700 > 2700x)

Still see frame drops, but they don't seem to be as dramatic which makes playing through them easier. Even though all the same stuff is happening I've been feeling like the game is a lot less in the way, and when I see performance issues that it's more likely the connection or something to do with the other person.

I have to wonder how much the other person impacts you regardless of what you have going on. Like I ran into TheArmory right after the upgrade and it ran mega smooth, but that certainly isn't always the case. There are a surprising number of people running the game with low fps and you don't even need perfect 60fps to get a green score. I'm not sure what happens on my end when someone else only kind of gets 60fps then hops online and starts getting hit with net delays and high rollback counts (I wonder if the benchmark simulates rollbacks since they have performance impact).

There are a lot of stages that seem to be asking for trouble. "Special Forces Desert Command", "Kotal's Koliseum", and "Black Market Alley" probably being the worst.

I've had good spells before, but it seems more legitimately improved, and like this is the only upgrade that the issue has actually responded to. There are better gaming CPU's but it still seems like overkill to need a 2700x to play smoothly. Especially since the game used to run great and my old CPU never appeared to be breaking a sweat.

Anyway, it's more enjoyable now, and I've probably complained enough about the issue at this point.

Been playing about a week with a slightly upgraded CPU (Ryzen 1700 > 2700x)

Still see frame drops, but they don't seem to be as dramatic which makes playing through them easier. Even though all the same stuff is happening I've been feeling like the game is a lot less in the way, and when I see performance issues that it's more likely the connection or something to do with the other person.

I have to wonder how much the other person impacts you regardless of what you have going on. Like I ran into TheArmory right after the upgrade and it ran mega smooth, but that certainly isn't always the case. There are a surprising number of people running the game with low fps and you don't even need perfect 60fps to get a green score. I'm not sure what happens on my end when someone else only kind of gets 60fps then hops online and starts getting hit with net delays and high rollback counts (I wonder if the benchmark simulates rollbacks since they have performance impact).

There are a lot of stages that seem to be asking for trouble. "Special Forces Desert Command", "Kotal's Koliseum", and "Black Market Alley" probably being the worst.

I've had good spells before, but it seems more legitimately improved, and like this is the only upgrade that the issue has actually responded to. There are better gaming CPU's but it still seems like overkill to need a 2700x to play smoothly. Especially since the game used to run great and my old CPU never appeared to be breaking a sweat.

Anyway, it's more enjoyable now, and I've probably complained enough about the issue at this point.
If the other person is having terrible performance, it will lag you down. I've had this happen in Mortal Kombat XL and Killer Instinct as well. In worst case matches, it's like playing a slide show...

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
If the other person is having terrible performance, it will lag you down. I've had this happen in Mortal Kombat XL and Killer Instinct as well. In worst case matches, it's like playing a slide show...
I very much remember playing MKX and even a little IJ2 in slow motion. Frameskip must mitigate the slow downs for MK11 because it forces you into playing yellow fps'ers (ranked) which should be more than enough to slow the game down quite noticeably. That doesn't mean I have any interest in fighting those people. When I see someone with WiFi and low fps wanting to fight, it's like "how fast can I hit this no button?"

You will get the its fine on my end because they are used to the drops while you suffer playing with 8 fps drops every time a particle effect shows up on screen.
I do believe this is a thing.

@Gooberking With rollback Netcode, I only recall about two or three matches of Mortal Kombat XL that was basically a slide show. During the PC beta, everything was smooth like butter save one match. I didn't end up playing online as much post-beta, just how life worked out, but it was really good.

Killer Instinct has been great in all but one match for me. That one was also a slide show.

I don't recall any major laggy matches for me in Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, but I haven't played the game a lot online as you know.

Looks like a placeholder string for the AWAY arrow, but what's odd is that both arrows show fine just above.

So something to do with when the string is added to another button string. Someone broke something, i guess will be fixed soon enough.

Raider

Noob
Anyone else find it weird that KP2 is not available on third-party stores like GMG, Humble Bundle or GamesPlanet?? GamesPlanet is offering Ultimate Edition but not KP2 separately.
Also there won't be Switch pre-order for the KP2 even on official Nintendo store, so they can't even get the pre-order skins pack. This is super weird!