What's new

PART 2: The History of the Modern MK Community

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
So, from reading this.... I am for player kreated kontent, i.e players finding stuff in game and making things which the developers didn't think of. I am against the idea of players abusing broken shit for wins, which does not define a generation of players to level up to beat broken shit with broken shit.

I bet part Three talks about Superman GP Infinite in MK vs DC and how that was abused and beaten with either rage or QR. This is my opinion from reading this thread. Nothing personal.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
@STB Shujinkydink

Good read. But wouldn't you say the "Playing-to-win" mentality crept into the scene during MKD...before REO?

I may be a little mistaken since I wasn't around during the post launch days of MKA, but during the later parts of the MKD era, right up to MKA's launch, much of the community was on a P2W kick, granted there were still some who tried to keep it "honorable".

I played on XBL during those days so I never got to play M2Dave's Dairou, but I played BNR, Stylezxxx (spelling), and a host of others who pushed unbreakable, infinites, and a host of other broken stuff to the limit.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
lol, I didn't play either of these games online as almost all my friends played them with me offline.

And there was no code, and no honor, and it was glorious.
Jimmy, do tell the legend of your red controller. I know it must have several tales. Make a thread and take a picture...love that controller. Its like a good luck charm to me

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
@STB Shujinkydink

Good read. But wouldn't you say the "Playing-to-win" mentality crept into the scene during MKD...before REO?

I may be a little mistaken since I wasn't around during the post launch days of MKA, but during the later parts of the MKD era, right up to MKA's launch, much of the community was on a P2W kick, granted there were still some who tried to keep it "honorable".

I played on XBL during those days so I never got to play M2Dave's Dairou, but I played BNR, Stylezxxx (spelling), and a host of others who pushed unbreakable, infinites, and a host of other broken stuff to the limit.
Indeed. Without taking anything away from his skills at fighting games, REO definitely did not pioneer the Playing To Win mentality. It was very much there during the days of MKD, and it had been around in other fighting games' communities for some time. Many a player during the MKD era had no qualms about using any and all tools available to them in the game in order to win.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
He was very footsie oriented. Had range with his Weapon stance and a fast launcher in H2H stance. His gameplay was built around moves and combos that gave him a free Summoned Fiend (a skull hand that came out of the ground wherever you were and grabbed you). Even his throw gave this free hit! This was unbreakable damage that could not be avoided.

Shinnok in MKA was awesome. Now just keep him this way and give him MK4 morph abilities and I'll be good ^_^
Since we're talking about MKA can you tell me about Noob and Chameleon? I never played this game too intensely but I'm curious to see how good they were and how they played, thanks. =3

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
@STB Shujinkydink

]

They definitely did, but the attitude was generally more scrubby, like bahaha you cant win ima just TS drop figure it out brah!

Reo kinda went into more detail about the strategy about it, but ya your right he didnt invent the tactic,just formally introduced it to the community at the time

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I loved him in MK4, but hated his MKA version ;_; ... I was so excited, and yet disappointed when I finally played him.

I look forward to maining Fujin in MK 10 :) I loved him in Mk 4 and in MKA, would be nice if Ermac got in there again too but who knows.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Part 2

So we had our new site! yay! But what to call it? with MK :Arnageddon announced and us waiting anxiously for it, being super stoked on it having every MK character ever in the game we decided on MKAC, or Mortal Kombat Armageddon Central. The site was run by someone named "MKAC Admin". Oddly enough he had no previous tag, no gamertag just seemingly came out of nowhere to help JTF run the site. We ended up asking who the hell he was and eventually learned that he was JTF's brother and had cancer and died or something, iunno.

A legend

Theres generally one person in a scene that rises above the rest, someone you can look up to and really admire. This person went by the tag "eazytobeat". Dont let the tag fool you though! he was anything but. He was without a doubt the TOP MKD/MKA player at the time. He was how we tested ourselves as it would be a few more years until we understood the offline scene.

Eazy was a stand up guy and wanted nothing more than to just play games with friends. He once made a tier list of all the players and how well they would do against him with Krayziebone(now known as EGP krayzie) Pig of the hut, MeSofly and I believe master Malone taking the top spots. He reminded us what it was to be a community and was always a stand up guy and mentor.

Back in those days the "GGs Thread" was a sacred thing. You ALWAYS posted in the thread after a series with anyone, if you didnt you were called on it. Games were always done in minimal sets of 10, 5 was acceptable if life was happening, anything less your god damn house better be burning down! It really helped us break down the game and I think is a rule that we really still follow to this day, which is why the older members of the community seem to thrive in the tournament scene. Training was fun, and at that time, tournaments weren't advertised on the front page, Clan wars were. They would be hyped up for weeks the same we do with tournaments today.

MKA arrived and with it the emergence of a kid we were unaware would become Possibly the greatest MK player of all time..

THE EMERGENCE OF REO

After MKA came out we decided to change the website name to Mortal Kombat Central so that we could accomodate future games. an influx of new talent emerged on the site but none as attention seeking and out there as the one we would soon call Reo.

Reo trolled the absolute shit out of that site, constantly getting banned from shoutbox and threads. At first he appeared nothing more than just your standard forum troll(that term by the way was not yet adopted. We called these people "Assholes"). But soon he caught on to a concept a lot of us found very foreign, the strategy of "playing to win".

Seeing as how I played on xbox and reo on psn, word started to get around about his sareena. We had a sareena player on xbox(bobby blaze) who would constantly mop us up, so eventually I got a ps3 and got a chance to play reo in a set. It was incredible what this kid was doing with sareena, the original IAGB. His spacing was spot on with a move she had, an OH advancing Launcher(think supermans F2 but an OH). I dont think I had ever lost a set that lopsided before and even though he'd been an absolute troll on the forums i still got a "gg" and sadly never got to play him again.

The community had adopted a set of rules to offset the many glitches the game had to offer but reo made us question this strategy, and showed us a more competitive way to play. If it wasnt for that I know a lot of us wouldnt have explored the game and our characters the way we did and developed fundamentals and a different attitude that would help us down the road. Like him or not, Reo was here to stay and he changed the community from then on.

The MKA era was one of the funnest I had the pleasure of being a part of. It brought in a whole new set of players such as burninoni007, Storms, Azuro(now known as THTB), and even some of the old MK3 guys came over. After MKAs run was done, MKDC was announced and that is the game that turned our community upside down and opened doors we never thought we'd venture into.

One man showed up and changed everything. Changed the way we thought about gaming, the way we played, the way we trained and more importantly where we trained.

In Part 3, the last and final part, I reveal who this gentleman is, the arrival of the offline scene, How TYM was created, and how MK9 saved the Franchise...that is if you the readers can wait to hear it :D

- STB|EGP Shujinkydink
You are definitely missing a lot of info from the start of the 3D Mk era but I don't care enough to add more info cause you got most of it. You definitely have a Xbox player perspective. I was on both systems.

FYI storms was around at the start of MkD.

Versatile was the best 3D mk player. Reo popped up half way through mkA's run but killed all that still played at that time.

I have some video of myself and ez2beat on my YouTube page if anyone cares.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I keep saying that they couldve put Shinnok in the game instead of Freddy and not have to change any of the moves. Hell Spikes couldve been Skeletal Hands.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
You are definitely missing a lot of info from the start of the 3D Mk era but I don't care enough to add more info cause you got most of it. You definitely have a Xbox player perspective. I was on both systems.

FYI storms was around at the start of MkD.

Versatile was the best 3D mk player. Reo popped up half way through mkA's run but killed all that still played at that time.

I have some video of myself and ez2beat on my YouTube page if anyone cares.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
I might check them out...

I'm glad you said that piece about the "xbox perspective" though, cause I remember the time both before and after the cross pollination of the ps2 and xbl mkd scenes.

Back before people started playing on both systems, I remember reaching a plateau in skill on xbl, and having players like Alexia09 and BNR being the only ones who could touch me at all. But then one day all things changed when I happened across a guy named Noobe, who then went on 10/1 me, and show me I still had much to learn.

It was only after that ass whooping that I learned he was from the ps2 side of things, and then my eyes were opened to the reality of a skill gap between the two mkd scenes. While I'd say us xbots stepped our game up greatly as time went on, there is no question that the majority of the elite players in the overall mkd scene lived on ps2.

It's too bad I never got to play Versatile, I heard awesome things.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So online was the shit back then? Dam

EDIT: THTB yo change your handle back to Azuro. It sounds cool. But would be a contradiction to your green characters
That name is long retired outside of created characters lol.

I keep saying that they couldve put Shinnok in the game instead of Freddy and not have to change any of the moves. Hell Spikes couldve been Skeletal Hands.
This x100000000000000000000!

Yeah, to back up Dancock, Versa was the best at MKA when he played. He quit early on into the game's lifespan.

God, MKA was a grand time. By far the best time I've ever had with a game online. PLAYING TO W1N when I move up to Cleveland finally, we should get back into this game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Where did it come from?
It was a name I randomly thought of when making an account for Runescape. I just kept it because it sounded cool. There's actually a company with the same name, I learned.

I changed names because I wanted a name that basically stuck as a username and not an anime character lol.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
It was a name I randomly thought of when making an account for Runescape. I just kept it because it sounded cool. There's actually a company with the same name, I learned.

I changed names because I wanted a name that basically stuck as a username and not an anime character lol.
So he went with The Huggable Tay Bear :D