What's new

PART 2: The History of the Modern MK Community

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Part 2

So we had our new site! yay! But what to call it? with MK :Arnageddon announced and us waiting anxiously for it, being super stoked on it having every MK character ever in the game we decided on MKAC, or Mortal Kombat Armageddon Central. The site was run by someone named "MKAC Admin". Oddly enough he had no previous tag, no gamertag just seemingly came out of nowhere to help JTF run the site. We ended up asking who the hell he was and eventually learned that he was JTF's brother and had cancer and died or something, iunno.

A legend

Theres generally one person in a scene that rises above the rest, someone you can look up to and really admire. This person went by the tag "eazytobeat". Dont let the tag fool you though! he was anything but. He was without a doubt the TOP MKD/MKA player at the time. He was how we tested ourselves as it would be a few more years until we understood the offline scene.

Eazy was a stand up guy and wanted nothing more than to just play games with friends. He once made a tier list of all the players and how well they would do against him with Krayziebone(now known as EGP krayzie) Pig of the hut, MeSofly and I believe master Malone taking the top spots. He reminded us what it was to be a community and was always a stand up guy and mentor.

Back in those days the "GGs Thread" was a sacred thing. You ALWAYS posted in the thread after a series with anyone, if you didnt you were called on it. Games were always done in minimal sets of 10, 5 was acceptable if life was happening, anything less your god damn house better be burning down! It really helped us break down the game and I think is a rule that we really still follow to this day, which is why the older members of the community seem to thrive in the tournament scene. Training was fun, and at that time, tournaments weren't advertised on the front page, Clan wars were. They would be hyped up for weeks the same we do with tournaments today.

MKA arrived and with it the emergence of a kid we were unaware would become Possibly the greatest MK player of all time..

THE EMERGENCE OF REO

After MKA came out we decided to change the website name to Mortal Kombat Central so that we could accomodate future games. an influx of new talent emerged on the site but none as attention seeking and out there as the one we would soon call Reo.

Reo trolled the absolute shit out of that site, constantly getting banned from shoutbox and threads. At first he appeared nothing more than just your standard forum troll(that term by the way was not yet adopted. We called these people "Assholes"). But soon he caught on to a concept a lot of us found very foreign, the strategy of "playing to win".

Seeing as how I played on xbox and reo on psn, word started to get around about his sareena. We had a sareena player on xbox(bobby blaze) who would constantly mop us up, so eventually I got a ps3 and got a chance to play reo in a set. It was incredible what this kid was doing with sareena, the original IAGB. His spacing was spot on with a move she had, an OH advancing Launcher(think supermans F2 but an OH). I dont think I had ever lost a set that lopsided before and even though he'd been an absolute troll on the forums i still got a "gg" and sadly never got to play him again.

The community had adopted a set of rules to offset the many glitches the game had to offer but reo made us question this strategy, and showed us a more competitive way to play. If it wasnt for that I know a lot of us wouldnt have explored the game and our characters the way we did and developed fundamentals and a different attitude that would help us down the road. Like him or not, Reo was here to stay and he changed the community from then on.

The MKA era was one of the funnest I had the pleasure of being a part of. It brought in a whole new set of players such as burninoni007, Storms, Azuro(now known as THTB), and even some of the old MK3 guys came over. After MKAs run was done, MKDC was announced and that is the game that turned our community upside down and opened doors we never thought we'd venture into.

One man showed up and changed everything. Changed the way we thought about gaming, the way we played, the way we trained and more importantly where we trained.

In Part 3, the last and final part, I reveal who this gentleman is, the arrival of the offline scene, How TYM was created, and how MK9 saved the Franchise...that is if you the readers can wait to hear it :D

- STB|EGP Shujinkydink

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The number one thing that I absolutely hated, but had to conform to so people would play me, is the stupid ass "honor code".

OMG I raged so much about it that sometimes I would snap and infinite someone anyways to make myself feel better.

Before MKDC came out near the end of MKA's life, I went back to play it again and I played mostly Shinnok (omg I hope MK10 keeps this playstyle) and Dairou. I got bodied most of the time, but when I landed a combo with Dairou, it was an air-infinite unless you broke me lol

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
The number one thing that I absolutely hated, but had to conform to so people would play me, is the stupid ass "honor code".

OMG I raged so much about it that sometimes I would snap and infinite someone anyways to make myself feel better.

Before MKDC came out near the end of MKA's life, I went back to play it again and I played mostly Shinnok (omg I hope MK10 keeps this playstyle) and Dairou. I got bodied most of the time, but when I landed a combo with Dairou, it was an air-infinite unless you broke me lol

lol honor code

Reactions: ZAQ
I missed this entire part of MK completely. 2 weeks after MKA was released, I moved onto UMK3 because of it's release on XBLA.

Lol, oh man, that game when it came to life had its own small history for a few years until mk9 came out.
People think the drama in tym was bad should have been around when ultimatemk.com was around lol good times.

AK-Israel

I'm Back
Great read,can't wait for part 3

*Oh a sidenote can this be stick,so that current and future member can read this,I think a lot of them would be happy to read and apperciate this*

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Yeah dude... Search for an old NEC or other east coast tournament where they were discussing MKD and MKA and see the ruleset for each game. It's absolutely ridiculous.
lol, I didn't play either of these games online as almost all my friends played them with me offline.

And there was no code, and no honor, and it was glorious.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
lol, I didn't play either of these games online as almost all my friends played them with me offline.

And there was no code, and no honor, and it was glorious.
It was a completely different game online and not just because of the "rules". All of the frame data was changed and 99% of all moves were 100% safe and spammable.

zaf

professor
Konqrr

How did shinnok play in mka?
When i had the game i played around with every character, but for the most part not at high level since I didn't know about the scene

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
It was a completely different game online and not just because of the "rules". All of the frame data was changed and 99% of all moves were 100% safe and spammable.
Yah I read that, and tried it one time and hated it enough to never go online again. You could still do some pretty fuckin dumb shit offline though lol, so we had our fun.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Konqrr

How did shinnok play in mka?
When i had the game i played around with every character, but for the most part not at high level since I didn't know about the scene
He was very footsie oriented. Had range with his Weapon stance and a fast launcher in H2H stance. His gameplay was built around moves and combos that gave him a free Summoned Fiend (a skull hand that came out of the ground wherever you were and grabbed you). Even his throw gave this free hit! This was unbreakable damage that could not be avoided.

Shinnok in MKA was awesome. Now just keep him this way and give him MK4 morph abilities and I'll be good ^_^

zaf

professor
He was very footsie oriented. Had range with his Weapon stance and a fast launcher in H2H stance. His gameplay was built around moves and combos that gave him a free Summoned Fiend (a skull hand that came out of the ground wherever you were and grabbed you). Even his throw gave this free hit! This was unbreakable damage that could not be avoided.

Shinnok in MKA was awesome. Now just keep him this way and give him MK4 morph abilities and I'll be good ^_^
I can't wait for Fujin. =]

zaf

professor
I loved him in MK4, but hated his MKA version ;_; ... I was so excited, and yet disappointed when I finally played him.
he is my mk4 main, did he suck in mka? I did use him a lot, thought he was awesome