What's new

Video Parry Inconsistency in MKXL by Ando1184

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Every character still follows the same rules universally, meaning no one can parry airborne opponents. But they can and all parry airborn-esc specials like mileena's tele kick and raiden's flying man attacks. The issue is that there are moves like raiden's flying man attack that go parried but then moves that share the same properties like LK flying kick, that can't be parried at all.

@FOREVER EL1TE
Yeah, it always puzzled me why raiden's superman or jax's dash punch can be parried, but not Liu's flying kick. It makes no sense, the nature of the moves is similar.

It's specially annoying in the Balanced vs Dragon's fire matchup. The fact that Liu gets a mb flying kick that on hit leads to damage and pressure, and on block is safe, is a win/win situation because Kenshi can't parry it, and when Liu gets in, it means basically game over.

ando1184

Noob
Yeah, it always puzzled me why raiden's superman or jax's dash punch can be parried, but not Liu's flying kick. It makes no sense, the nature of the moves is similar.

It's specially annoying in the Balanced vs Dragon's fire matchup. The fact that Liu gets a mb flying kick that on hit leads to damage and pressure, and on block is safe, is a win/win situation because Kenshi can't parry it, and when Liu gets in, it means basically game over.
Yeh I always felt the same way, same with Kung jin's flying kick.
Cassies diagonal 1 cant be parried by kotal.
I'm glad you guys are testing this stuff out too. It's bad enough special moves have altering properties but normal strings doing it just really complicates things :(

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Love the info in this thread. Hopefully there is an upcoming balance patch and that the inconsistencies mentioned here are dealt with. To those wanting instant recovery on Unbreakable's Parry though, it's better as is for dealing with KL's Hat Spin (it absorbs the hat as well as whatever button KL presses). If you're worried about chip, put on the Aura.

ando1184

Noob
Love the info in this thread. Hopefully there is an upcoming balance patch and that the inconsistencies mentioned here are dealt with. To those wanting instant recovery on Unbreakable's Parry though, it's better as is for dealing with KL's Hat Spin (it absorbs the hat as well as whatever button KL presses). If you're worried about chip, put on the Aura.
Not really worried about the chip per se, but it should recover fast enough to not eat a followup from 3/4 screen or worse. I mean it just looks as though you shouldn't even use it to absorb projectiles because the risk reward is highly one sided. It just sucks when you see something designed a certain way but can't be used to the extent of how it was designed.

Jeffrey Wolf

@ando1184, exactly, it's not meant to absorb projectiles, unlike, for example, Kotal's parry. It's just meant for absorbing attacks. With Unbreakable, you should either low profile projectiles with D4, if you even need to, or have Aura up.

ando1184

Noob
@ando1184, exactly, it's not meant to absorb projectiles, unlike, for example, Kotal's parry. It's just meant for absorbing attacks. With Unbreakable, you should either low profile projectiles with D4, if you even need to, or have Aura up.
See that's how I look at the move too, but since NRS gave it an absorbing property, players are likely to use it like that once in awhile I'm sure. That's my issue with it personally. If it's not intended to absorb then don't allow it to have that function period. If ya ask me, a nice touch to that move would be if a projectile does come in contact with parry then it should shatter like the ice clone post ice burst style. At least that would make the opponent respect that the parry was thrown out defensively and prevent them from aggressively zoning or advancing. That would keep the variation a defensively offensive style (like it originally appeared first glance upon reveal). But then again, that might be too big of a luxury buff, idk?

Jeffrey Wolf

KL puts on orbiting hat. You parry as he approaches. Because parry doesn't go away on projectile hit, he still gets frozen when he tries to attack/throw in tandem with the hat hit.

ando1184

Noob
Hey guys, I updated the OP with a list of parry able special moves. The list was supposed to be added when I created the thread but I forgot. Sorry bout that :p

Edit: I put a "(no)" for moves that are "Not" parry able. Sorry all this was saved and pasted from my phone so it's not as neat as I had hoped. I'll try and make it more presentable if I get time later.

Last edited:

xMEECH

Dyslexic
Great video ando!!

Small thing I'll add. Brawler Cassies overhead tackle. Commando has to do the low parry to parry it, despite it being an overhead.

ando1184

Noob
Great video ando!!

Small thing I'll add. Brawler Cassies overhead tackle. Commando has to do the low parry to parry it, despite it being an overhead.
Whaaaa? I thought they fixed all the parry issues like that? Thanks for bringing that to light here bud :)