What's new

Other M Discussion - NEW Metroid Game out for the WII: Sequel to Super Metroid!!!

WOW. Metroid Other M took everything that was great about Prime and made it better. As well, it took things that Prime was lacking and added it.

As some of you know, im a huge videogame fanatic. Im very picky about games. I consider Metroid Prime Trilogy the best games ever made with the exception of Guns of the Patriots. Other M manages to capture what was great about both MGS4 and MP Trilogy and blended it into one game.

Lastly, the combat system is INSANE. So simple, yet intuitive. The controls are also flawless. Best controls for a game i ever played. The wiimote is so perfect for this game. Switching from First Person view to 3rd is seemingless. Im only an hour into the game and i love it. Definitely the best Wii game to date.

The graphics rival any game i ever seen on ps3. Only a few explosions and whatnot are slightly cheesy.

Insane game. Pick it up if you have a WII. If you played Super Metroid, then you know well programmed that game is. Other M follows right in its footsteps.

Only minor so far is the camera panning in one direction, so running past enemies you cant see them unless you go all the way back in the opposite direction.

The game also has a huge sense of realism to it from every angle.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I've been meaning to check that game out sometime in the near future.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
hmm ur getting me to almost think about buying a wii again just for this game. i played all the way up to Prime. loved prime alot. havent played prime 2 or 3.

Thanks so much for your replies, guys. It means a lot. I dont buy games that often.

About the camera panning issue: This only occurs during "2.5D" areas like hallways and whatnot. Rarely ever comes into play. Once you get out into the atmospherics, its all free roam from there, and quite beautiful.

About the controls: Flawless as mentioned. The dodge system is next-level shit. An enemy goes into attack animation, you simply turn samus to the direction of the enemy, tap your attack button and she'll dodge. Its fucking awesome shit, and simple. You can choose to jump as well. Just as effective (for now).

Dan - I bought a WII just for Metroid.

Vids coming tomorrow.

If those few posts could be moved here, thank ya kindly.

Im about to post a random mini boss fight vid. I was waiting for the first boss, but every 3 rooms or so you face a new mini boss. ive ran through 3 or 4 twice so far. I could of posted a vid of any of the boss fights so far and they'd have all been different!! This game rocks.

Check thread later for Video updates to entice you.

Mistake about the dodging. Its actually just face the enemy then press the way you want to dodge but you have to time it right. works about 90% of the time. And YES you have to mix jumping in there. There are lethal attacks that are performed from the air. You catch a monster around the neck and put your arm cannon inside its mouth. Its just crucial to jump alongside dodging.

Recording a vid now for you guys.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
alright now i gotta finally finish FF13. i cant buy any new games till i finish that. so they got rid of the 1st person shooter type of look, and went back to the way it should be..

hmm wasnt the last Metroid killed in Super.. hmm dont tell me anything LOL im just babbling now.

Babbling Babin :)

Pretty much, but it still feels like playing a prime game, just in 3rd person. You can switch to first anytime and you dont have to press a button to get out of it, just turn your controller back the other way. Every flows real nice.

It has that classic annoyance nostalgia that you dont see in games anymore. You get to a room, you have no idea what to do. You think you skipped over a part of the game and are screwed, but in reality you are not. This happens a lot. Probably more then it should. But yea, the overall feeling is classic.

And playing with the wiimote sideways really makes it feel like an NES controller. Good times. The dpad is kinda small. The nunchuck would of been better, but at the same time, it would of made the game too easy i think.

Final Fantasy 13... great game, despite what people say. FF13 was the last game i bought before Other M. Enjoy it dude.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
i got real annoyed with FF13. i liked it much more then FF12 (my god ff12 :X). but i got to chaptor 10 and then quit playing, i got mad cause i know i didnt have to fight those mosters in that desert area, but i wanted to and they were just to strong. it was real annoying cause i know once i start backup im not going back to bother with the monsters there.. anyway yea im gonna beat the game and then i just mioght get this new met. oo another thing ihate about FF13 and quite frankly all newer games, is they tell u what to do and where to go. its like WTF did we get dumber over the years??? im always gonna find a short cut but dont make it that easy LOL

i got real annoyed with FF13. i liked it much more then FF12 (my god ff12 :X). but i got to chaptor 10 and then quit playing, i got mad cause i know i didnt have to fight those mosters in that desert area, but i wanted to and they were just to strong. it was real annoying cause i know once i start backup im not going back to bother with the monsters there.. anyway yea im gonna beat the game and then i just mioght get this new met. oo another thing ihate about FF13 and quite frankly all newer games, is they tell u what to do and where to go. its like WTF did we get dumber over the years??? im always gonna find a short cut but dont make it that easy LOL
Dan, they even tell you early on in the game that you may encounter enemies along the way that you simply cannot fight yet. Juggernaut in Chapter 11 is perfect example. Simply DONT FIGHT THEM.

You can exit any fight too, dude. Same way as running in the older FF's. Just press start during a fight and theres an exit mode that takes you right back to where you were right before you fought that monster.

Hope you get it, as well as Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Agreed 100% on the last part. So sad.

BTW, you might like Arkham Asylum. Check it out too :)

Alright, just had to post this because its cool.

If an enemy catches you in its version of your lethal strikes. It doesnt kill you, but you actually fight there together same way as you would dodge trying to reverse them, no stupid test your might metropolis meter or anything. Just pure skill.

And the cool part is, while that is common knowledge, till this time i never seen this particular counter she does. She does a Pop Up!! LOL. Now that shit was funny. Next time ima do, counter~popup~lethal strike. Yes, a Samus Combo :)

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Alright, just had to post this because its cool.

If an enemy catches you in its version of your lethal strikes. It doesnt kill you, but you actually fight there together same way as you would dodge trying to reverse them, no stupid test your might metropolis meter or anything. Just pure skill.

And the cool part is, while that is common knowledge, till this time i never seen this particular counter she does. She does a Pop Up!! LOL. Now that shit was funny. Next time ima do, counter~popup~lethal strike. Yes, a Samus Combo :)
oh my your having lots o ffun with that game.. im jealous :(

Damn Dan, you know i want to make you jealous :)

Get it. Really, just get it.

I did the same thing for FF13 when it came out. LOL, i cant help it now from testing MK all these years. I have to test everything :)

Oh, and she has an infinite :D. Hard to do, but you jump from enemy to enemy after each Lethal Strike. Lethal Strike Infinite Combo :)

and btw, Lethal strike doesnt kill in one hit. Only does at begining of the game.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
ooo i think i may be able to play this game on my computer. gonna find out how. i guess theres a wii emulator i had no clue..

I recorded another video for you guys. This time its just an example of what Metroid Other M is like. This was 3 rooms in a row! basically the whole game is like this, with only a few pauses in between for classic metroid exploration. beautfiful:

that boss at the end was actually the very first boss fight in the game.

Wow, Dan. Good luck trying to get that to work. Im sure you already know how fast your computer needs to be to run it. I know ded_ used it and its absolutely beautiful, especially the recording quality off it (If you decide to ever record any of it).

I still want to play Dan in MKDA!!! :(

Spic, what up dude. Long time. Yea the game is a bit dark. Try turning up your TV's brightness a bit. Should help resolve the issue.

Beat it earlier. Crazy Game. Postgame is even crazier. Yes theres a fucking postgame. Everything you'd hope for in a postgame for Metroid. I dont think any other game has even attempted a postgame in similar fashion. Shit is crazy, all im saying. Dont wanna spoil it. Fuck, i dont even know whats gonna happen in the post game. Shit is unreal.

Repeating myself. Carry on.

BOSSETTE

Noob
Shit, I love Samus. I always played her in like Super Smash Bros games but I've never played any Metriod games.
But by the looks of it, it looks like a pretty fun game.
I even saw the trailer of Other M in the movie theaters. :p

Shit, I love Samus. I always played her in like Super Smash Bros games but I've never played any Metriod games.
But by the looks of it, it looks like a pretty fun game.
I even saw the trailer of Other M in the movie theaters. :p
YOu already know we have the same taste in games, so i highly recommend it if you have a WII.

I only wish the game was longer, but the postgame is like 3 times as long as the story, so whatever lol.

THTB

This game is fucking sick. I love it. :D

I just got it yesterday. The game feels so much like a mix between a 3D version of Super Metroid and Ninja Gaiden combined.

Indeed. The jumping animation is straight out of the NES Ninja Gaidens. I love it! As for the gameplay similarities to newer Ninja Gaidens, its actually better LOL. Makes me kind of scared as to what to expect from the Ninja Gaiden franchise in the future.

Currently im collecting all the items to unlock hard mode. From what i hear, hard mode is one hit and you're dead. Must have this soon! I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy just to play MP1 and 2 on Hyper Mode. I live for hard mode in metroid games.

Spacing becomes incredibly important later on in the game. Enemies will cover so much distance with their attacks that you need enough space in between them to time your dodge/jump right. The optional final boss (Phantoon) is by far the best display of the combat system and its capabilities. I will record Phantoon soon. Just wait till you see this shit.

But out of all the bosses, Ridley owned me the hardest. Took a while to figure out his patterns, but in the end, it was me.

Me and my brother are right at the end of Super Metroid too, lol. Gonna beat it tonight with him.

The game is in every way a Super Metroid in 3D, with better controls. Even the story is almost like a retelling of SM. Brilliantly done. Just wait till you see what Other M is :)

THTB

Made it to Sector 3. Probably my favorite part of this area thus far is how it basically forces you to go through superheated areas w/o the Varia suit. I don't recall any other Metroid that did that.

Damn that was fast. Sector 3 is a few hours into it. Still plenty more where that came from.

Its amazing how really you cant collect too many items till postgame. This makes the postgame last really long, plus optional bosses along the way. Its really cool.

Magmoor Caverns in Metroid Prime had parts where you had to jump in the lava to get across because you didnt have Ice Beam/X ray yet, but nothing to the extent of atmosphere damage.

Atmosphere damage occured in Dark World almost all throughout Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Pretty sure the Light Suit protected you endgame for Dark World damage.

Just in closing about combat strats again - timing your dodges/jumps with proper spacing is crucial because enemies will track your dodges. You need to have enough space in between you so they cannot track you towards the end of their attack.