What's new

Option Selects......

so, curious, how many of you guys currently use option selects when you fight? further more what are all the known option selects in the game at this point?
I've recently start doing a specific jump in attack with Blue beetle. Even IF I cross myself up, I like what my input gets me. (input is ji2 b1 bf3 and a pointless df2 during the shield slam animation)

I intend to get his re-stand kick into shield bash, which combos on hit, and is a great tool on block.
(of course, I try to hit confirm into better things if I can)
Or if I cross up on accident, Beetle outputs a 13 flight cancel, and can jump in or out from there
(while this is negative on block, I've only ever been hit out of this when trying to loop it over-and-over on block in the corner)

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i need to learn stuff like this for my characters, these jump in OS's :/, plus theres other ones too right? like avoiding grabs?

I don't know about grabs.... I come from soulcalibur and that was DEFINITELY a thing there.... you would just mash 1 or 2 while holding the guard button...... I don't think you can do that in this, cause there is not a guard 'button', and hitting grab would start the animation (maybe mashing grab during attack animations just cause? idk if that would work.be worth it). But, if there is something I don't know, please let me know.

Its not really a option select, but air cancels are GREAT. For instance, If I am jumping JUST to fly cancel with blue beetle, or JUST to aerial shoot with blue beetle. I do jump 1 fly or jump 1 shot.... just to extend my fists because why not. (this does make you commit aslightly, as there is a certain window for the jump attack animation to last)

Man, I wish more ppl chimed in on this

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Bane is basically the king of OSing in this game. Multiple OS with tick throws or against delayed wake ups and can universally make any hit of a string after the first hit or any special cancelled into from a string or normal and make them only come out on hit by pumping up venom at the same time. Also his oki options almost always cover more than one option at once

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Wetdoba, can you give me some exapmple inputs? I might swap my secondary to bane, after the Atrocitus nerfing.
I mean, Atrocitus is still good lol. But here is an example using B2 into a mb b3 cancel so that the mb b3 only comes out if the B2 hits. If B2 is block then nothing comes out and Bane is safe at -5 so they still have to respect armor after.

I actually hit this on you @The_Tile when we played the other day and you blocked the low and then I just did armored F2D into mb b3 through the stage right after haha

So in this scenario the OS saves him 2 bars if they block but he can do this with just about anything. For instance he can B23 and make the 3 not come out on block (B23 being -16 vs B2 only -5). Or he can D1 elbow in footsies to make unsafe elbow only come out on hit etc

The way it works is you dial in the sequence like normally as if it were all hitting and then you pump up as the second to last hit connects and it will cancel the last hit out on block. So with B23 you would do B23 then pump up as the B2 connects to make the 3 not come out on block

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Bane is basically the king of OSing in this game. Multiple OS with tick throws or against delayed wake ups and can universally make any hit of a string after the first hit or any special cancelled into from a string or normal and make them only come out on hit by pumping up venom at the same time. Also his oki options almost always cover more than one option at once
how does his os's work then? i mean im sure other characters might have it. what do u do?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
how does his os's work then? i mean im sure other characters might have it. what do u do?
No other characters wont have it because it has to do with activating venom while in the middle of a string or special cancel to cancel the input. I explained how it works and the inputs in my last post with a few examples

it sounds like he mashes venom (4 aka trait) right at the end of a string and/or before a mb bounce cancel..... If his string landed hits, it combos into the finish. If it was blocked, venom trait is read instead of the final hit in the string/instead of bounce cancel

so, curious, how many of you guys currently use option selects when you fight? further more what are all the known option selects in the game at this point?
No other characters wont have it because it has to do with activating venom while in the middle of a string or special cancel to cancel the input. I explained how it works and the inputs in my last post with a few examples
thank you for this, I'dve never known if not for you 2. I do think think this is one of the best things to learn in fighting games, how to cover more options in one move, or how give your opponent the least 'correct' options.

I do wonder if there are any other traits that might act similarly...... clearly not every character trait.... but I mean.... aquaman can activate trait with the same time restrictions as bane(i.e. none). Clearly not as optimal, but it does make me curious.

I never liked option selects
lol, seconds before I say its one of the best things to learn. I understand why it seems like cheating, letting the compute make the right decision for you (2 options in 1) but their are non-option selects that allow you to cover more than one options.

I also think OS's are often a byproduct of a failure in design. If this is integral/intentional to the character, it should be in the move list or taught to the players in some way.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
thank you for this, I'dve never known if not for you 2. I do think think this is one of the best things to learn in fighting games, how to cover more options in one move, or how give your opponent the least 'correct' options.

I do wonder if there are any other traits that might act similarly...... clearly not every character trait.... but I mean.... aquaman can activate trait with the same time restrictions as bane(i.e. none). Clearly not as optimal, but it does make me curious.
Yes it would have to be a character with a trait that has zero start up or recovery so they are free to activate in the middle of other moves. The only possibikities would be Aqua, Atrocitus usibg Dexstarr attacks, Batman releasing bats, or maybe Brainiac releasing his trait? The only thing is I dont think amy of these will actually override the inputs of those moves besides maybe Aqua trait because Atrocitus, Batman, and Brainiac are desinged to attack with both normals and trait at the same time

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
seriously how the fuck does this game allow us to mash d1/d2 etc while blocking. yea, giving mashers frame traps can blow it up but thats not enough. if you press a strike input you should perform a strike and be hit.
wait u can mash while blocking? so thats why im being hit out of staggers....fucking trash that is -_-

wait u can mash while blocking? so thats why im being hit out of staggers....fucking trash that is -_-
depends on the block stun of the attack.

for instance jump in 2 -> b1 there is not gap for poking if the 2 hits low enough.
jump in 2 -> b1..... There is the smallest gap if 2 hits high enough. enough for you to stuff a poke, but a super would be perfect for that situation.

batman's trait has like NO block stun, so im sure you could mash between trait bats and get hit.... its also why you don't want to push block the trait, poke batman right after the last bat IF he is not timing his follow up perfectly.

But beetles d2 is so fast and good... I mash it sometimes just to disrespect people's pressure