What's new

(Opinion) Why NRS caused the polarizing customization crisis.

trufenix

bye felicia
After paying upfront and doing QA work for free, I think people have the right to complain about something not being to their liking
If you were actually qa-ing you wouldn't be complaining because you'd understand nothing in qa is final. Second, boon said it would be like this, day one. Third, and most importantly, ITS STILL IN THE GAME, Kasual Match isn't going anywhere.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Thank you for explaining what is already obvious.
I, like many others, have already pre-ordered and given my part of a return on the initial investment.

For clarity, what is your stance on all of this?
I'd love a custom variation competitive system that's balanced to the point where it's entirely up to the players facing off who will win.
Soul Calibur level balance would be enough.

Sadly, this would mean a year and a half long beta phase, AFTER all characters would be done being designed, or a really imbalanced game that more people would abandon than ideal for the scene to keep thriving.

My personal opinion is that we should accept what is offered and be happy we get so much amazing content to begin with.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I'd love a custom variation competitive system that's balanced to the point where it's entirely up to the players facing off who will win.
Soul Calibur level balance would be enough.

Sadly, this would mean a year and a half long beta phase, AFTER all characters would be done being designed, or a really imbalanced game that more people would abandon than ideal for the scene to keep thriving.

My personal opinion is that we should accept what is offered and be happy we get so much amazing content to begin with.
Fair enough. And a lot of it does come down to the marketing and the lack of clear-cut answers. I'm fine with variations if well done. I'm fine with whole characters with a plethora of moves. However, when they talked of custom variations, it struck as me pretty innovative. As a result, ofc, I and many others were looking forward to getting our hands on it.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I have a dream in life: to finish writing my book(s) and turn its universe into a fighting game like they did with Persona 4 Arena.
If I succeed, I'm immediately hiring @PLAYING TO WIN as my head of public relations, to make sure some dumb shit like this doesn't happen to me and kill the boners of all those who would battle in my arenas.

Because if they really sat on their hands with this just so it didn't impact preorders and the hype going into the beta, and they've been showing us nothing but custom builds for a game where customization isn't legal in competition...that's preeeeetty fucked up.
Your game would be in serious jeopardy then lol

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
hey, just so you guys know, when there isn't a beta next game or it only goes out to like, sonic fox, dynasty and max. . . don't be surprised, alright?
Or when they advertise anything about their next game pre-release and don't get sales before anyone reviews how the game actually works and what it actually contains NRS shouldn't be surprised either. The fuck is this shit? Advertises custom variations, last minute excludes them from some game modes. Advertises 25 initial roster chars, one of them is actually a pre-order bonus (maybe payed for later). Advertises 8 hour story mode, 4 weeks before release confirms it's 2,5 hours. Who knows hwat the hell they mean by adding better later dlc content? Their marketing team is doing a very bad job right now.

Thingy

Retired account
Just play custom variation matches if you like them. It is still in the game, for christs sake. As it has been said over and over, NRS said early on that set variations would be the competitive standard. This whole issue is making coming to this site so ridiculously predictable and vexing.

It is what it is. You will play the game anyway.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Or when they advertise anything about their next game pre-release and don't get sales before anyone reviews how the game actually works and what it actually contains NRS shouldn't be surprised either. The fuck is this shit? Advertises custom variations, last minute excludes them from some game modes. Advertises 25 initial roster chars, one of them is actually a pre-order bonus (maybe payed for later). Advertises 8 hour story mode, 4 weeks before release confirms it's 2,5 hours. Who knows hwat the hell they mean by adding better later dlc content? Their marketing team is doing a very bad job right now.
As a DOA fan and player as well as an MK fan and player:

You have NO idea what very bad marketing is if you think NRS is pooping the bed with MK11. It's miles away from garbage marketing. It's in a different universe than what I know as poor marketing.

I've not heard even 1 half-way convincing argument for preset variations. Not one. This remains a massive fuck up , and will stay a massive fuck up until they go back on it .
i don't like them because my friends are retarded and would change variation after every match. it's already a pain in the ass to play CoD or any game with loadouts with them.

KRYS9984

Noob
I agree with a majority of what @PLAYING TO WIN mentioned in the op; not being fully transparent on what the actual game will entail is a huge downfall on NRS's part and I'm sure leaves a bad impression on many people.

Additionally, dropping the recent Game Informer information this late (especially after the beta) is leaving a lot of people disappointed because they want to pick up where they left off i.e. playing the best and favorite versions of their characters using custom variations.

On a side note, this might not be a popular opinion but I wish that NRS would put a hold on the variation system and return to developing games / characters with set tool kits.

Variations ultimately cram a lot of content into a single character (which is then broken up) and prevents others from appearing in more games or the development of new characters. Gas Master Kabal could easily lend his moves to Bo Rai Cho and have him farting across the screen in MK11 (sounds funny, I know), Chain Reaction Scorpion could lend his moves to Takeda, etc... I would rather see a game with a lot more unique characters that fewer characters containing larger, broken up tool kits. Also, situations like this would be completely avoided.

Additionally, I think customized gear is fine and can appeal to the individuals that want to personalize their characters; this does not impact game play or balance so it's a harmless feature. However, I would rather have the characters that the developers envisioned (with possible alternate costumes) as opposed to a custom Sub-Zero that looks more like Meta Knight than a member of the Lin Kuei.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I hope this is true, but then they also said some characters may have 2 variations.
I'm pretty sure they never said that

When the did the Kombat Cast and showed 3 characters during the beat that only SHOWED 2 variations... but that was as they had a time constant on the show.... not because there was only 2. (Pretty sure the Kast is using custom variations anyway)

Xelz

Go over there!
I'm pretty sure they never said that

When the did the Kombat Cast and showed 3 characters during the beat that only SHOWED 2 variations... but that was as they had a time constant on the show.... not because there was only 2. (Pretty sure the Kast is using custom variations anyway)
It's a quote from the GameInformer article:

"The developer has confirmed each character will have at least two pre-built variations using the same three-slot system as custom variations, though the number of variations per character could differ."

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Just play custom variation matches if you like them. It is still in the game, for christs sake. As it has been said over and over, NRS said early on that set variations would be the competitive standard. This whole issue is making coming to this site so ridiculously predictable and vexing.

It is what it is. You will play the game anyway.
So what stat augments are you using with your kustom variation?

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Then why release a beta with full customization? Why did Tyler, two weeks ago, say they can’t tak about it? Why are kasts showing characters in full customization and not their variations? Not even a nod to the tournament seen in their most public venue.
These are not challenging questions.

1. Because casual gear permitted online play was popular in injustice 2. Because the beta wasn’t invite only and made up of exclusively competitive players and they wanted to show off the new feature. Or maybe even they wanted to see if their were any bugs related to the move selection system.

2. Because they had an agreement with various publications to give them exclusive content reveals to drive clicks. Because they have been tweaking the preset variations up until now and didn’t want to be inundated with questions regarding which moves would be included in the presets and “why isn’t this move included?!”. Because though early in development they had decided to go with presets they started kicking the tires on full customization.

3. Again, because they’re showing off this cool new mechanic they’ve included for single player content and casual matches that has been central to the game’s marketing. Because they hadn’t locked in the competitive variations. Because they decided not to reveal those details pre launch to avoid scrutiny if it changed. Because they have some rollout planned with a partner media outlet.

Dude I agree that custom could be cool and that it seemed successful in the beta, but this is getting ridiculous. It’s not hard to have plausible answers to these questions you’re asking.

And none of your evidence changes the fact that boom explicitly stated that there would likely be presets but have no fear because they are going to try and ensure that all moves are included in the presets.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
you guys just want an excuse for this game to fail just so you can say injustice 2 or mkx is better. This is so sad you guys really are full of it.

IamBatface

www.mixer.com/WilfyDee
It was states months ago that pre-set variations would be used for tournaments etc. And it’s always safe to assume that those same rules would apply to ranked.

They never said the story mode was 2.5hrs, it was said that all the cutscenes cut together would around 2.5hrs and then said that it will probably be a bit longer as that was around the same running time of the MKX cutscenes.

Keep pedalling these lies to justify your outrage all you want, all it will achieve is that the points you make won’t be taken seriously.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
It was states months ago that pre-set variations would be used for tournaments etc. And it’s always safe to assume that those same rules would apply to ranked.

They never said the story mode was 2.5hrs, it was said that all the cutscenes cut together would around 2.5hrs and then said that it will probably be a bit longer as that was around the same running time of the MKX cutscenes.

Keep pedalling these lies to justify your outrage all you want, all it will achieve is that the points you make won’t be taken seriously.
No it wasn't stated about variations. They dodged the question or responded they're not ready for an answer yet. And the was said to be aroud 8hrs around the time the game was revealed. Get your facts together. The only thing I'm outraged about is their bad marketing.

IamBatface

www.mixer.com/WilfyDee
No it wasn't stated about variations. They dodged the question or responded they're not ready for an answer yet. And the was said to be aroud 8hrs around the time the game was revealed. Get your facts together. The only thing I'm outraged about is their bad marketing.
Recently on Kombat Kast’s when they were pressed for an answer they avoided it as it was obviously promised as a reveal to gameinformer but 2 months ago Ed Boon stated in an interview that pre-set variations would be used for tournaments. The overall play through of the story was said to be 8 hours, the 2.5 hours (“it will be slightly longer” was also part of the quote) was the answer to how long the YouTube cut of all the cutscenes would be and not the total playtime. My facts are indeed together, sir.

LDA_DIgi

A changed man...or shokan master lol.
It doesnt matter what nrs wants. They're NOT the to's of your local/regional/major tournaments.

Nrs simply gives you the tools. You create the blueprints and carry them out.

If you want kustom variations at your tournaments. Then YOU make it happen.

Its so easy. Im not even sure why this discussed over and over again amongst so many slightly differently titled threads/polls lol.

We all agreed if nrs provides the in game character select added UI it would makes things "easier". But without it, it can still be done. Just takes a few extra seconds.

Its not hard folks.

Agilaz

It has begun
It doesnt matter what nrs wants. They're NOT the to's of your local/regional/major tournaments.

Nrs simply gives you the tools. You create the blueprints and carry them out.

If you want kustom variations at your tournaments. Then YOU make it happen.

Its so easy. Im not even sure why this discussed over and over again amongst so many slightly differently titled threads/polls lol.

We all agreed if nrs provides the in game character select added UI it would makes things "easier". But without it, it can still be done. Just takes a few extra seconds.

Its not hard folks.
Fine, you go ahead and learn two different, concurrent metas for one game, just so that you can compete.

Ranked and tournament play should be equal. Ranked meta especially should translate to tourney play without adjustments (except the fact you go from online to offline).