What's new

Opinion regarding SZ's visuals

STB BroZki

Don’t know what to put here
Love everything. His traditional style hat is starting to grow on me. Miss those white eyes though.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
He's a Lin Kuei. Which is an assassin or thief according to the mk wiki.

"Somewhere in the northern most parts of Asia, there exists a secret clan of assassins and thieves known as the Lin Kuei. This group has existed for centuries and thrives on the evil intention of the people who pay for their services. Its warriors are chosen at birth to be raised apart from the workings of day to day civilization and are stripped of their former lives. Only the clan knows their existence. Each of them posses certain skills and abilities that set them apart from normal men. These abilities are passed on from generation to generation and honed throughout the experiences of life. Certain Lin Kuei warriors possess supernatural abilities including those that commune with nature."

Basically they are killers for hire and have their own fighting styles.

To be a ninja you must be japanese and use the style known as ninjutsu

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
He's a Lin Kuei. Which is an assassin or thief according to the mk wiki.

"Somewhere in the northern most parts of Asia, there exists a secret clan of assassins and thieves known as the Lin Kuei. This group has existed for centuries and thrives on the evil intention of the people who pay for their services. Its warriors are chosen at birth to be raised apart from the workings of day to day civilization and are stripped of their former lives. Only the clan knows their existence. Each of them posses certain skills and abilities that set them apart from normal men. These abilities are passed on from generation to generation and honed throughout the experiences of life. Certain Lin Kuei warriors possess supernatural abilities including those that commune with nature."

Basically they are killers for hire and have their own fighting styles.

To be a ninja you must be japanese and use the style known as ninjutsu
Yes thank you!

Although the Lin Kuei under Sub-Zero is much less sinister than under Sektor or his father

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
And actually continuing on the topic,

I'm not sure Scorpion and Takeda classify as ninjas either. Neither have used the Ninjutsu style in the games (scorpion had hapkido in the 3d games) and idk what style takeda uses but I refer to it as bitchutsu.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter

I'm not sure Scorpion and Takeda classify as ninjas either. Neither have used the Ninjutsu style in the games (scorpion had hapkido in the 3d games) and idk what style takeda uses but I refer to it as bitchutsu.
I wouldn't take the actual fighting styles in the 3D era games as actual canon lore... it was more just gameplay implementation. I mean, they got switched around in MKA, just so everyone had one, and some characters switched weapons as well, so... yeah, don't read too much into that. XD

The Shirai Ryu is a ninja clan though, and the members are ninjas. However, as in most fictional stories, it's not 1:1 with real life. I mean, they wear yellow as their main colour...

There's this guy on youtube called GaijinGoombah who does a show where he compares fictional ninjas to how real ninjas were. Though I like his videos and find them interesting, I know he's not for everyone's tastes, and that's fair enough, but his points are pretty cool:

This was pre-MK11 reveal though, so have that in mind when you watch it.

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
I love the new Sub-Zero design including the hat and mask and him looking more traditionally Chinese.

I might play this new styled Sub-Zero, I've always been a fan of Kuai Liang.

His look seems like a positive step in the evolution of the character.
You're just playing him because he's hot, you're not fooling anyone Espio

STB BroZki

Don’t know what to put here
Im

Reed you sexy bastard I love you. Also ninjitsu is composed of 25 or so martial arts in one. I’m not 100% sure on which ones but that’s what I’ve read.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Im

Reed you sexy bastard I love you. Also ninjitsu is composed of 25 or so martial arts in one. I’m not 100% sure on which ones but that’s what I’ve read.
Looked it up:

" Ninjutsu traditionally focuses on the following 18 different martial arts skills
  • Seishinteki kyōyō – spiritual refinement
  • Taijutsu – unarmed combat
  • Kenjutsu – sword techniques
  • Bojutsu – stick and staff techniques
  • Sōjutsu – spear techniques
  • Naginatajutsu – naginata techniques
  • Kusarigamajutsu – kusarigama techniques
  • Shurikenjutsu – throwing weapons techniques (i.e. shuriken)
  • Kayakujutsu – pyrotechnics
  • Hensōjutsu – disguise and impersonation
  • Shinobi-iri – stealth and entering methods
  • Bajutsu – horsemanship
  • Sui-ren – water training
  • Bōryaku – tactics
  • Chōhō – espionage
  • Intonjutsu – escaping and concealment
  • Tenmon – meteorology
  • Chi-mon – geography
  • Hojojutsu – Rope techniques
"

Don't see Hapkido... suck it scorpion scrubs, he's not a ninja!

But, Kenshi is :p lmao

Idk why there are hyperlinks, but hey... if you wanna learn about those skills. There ya go :p

Wanted to share my thoughts and hear your's about Sub-Zero's various "visuals" by which i mean the stance, primary costume, and overall look and feel.

Starting with the stance, at first I didn't like it immediately nut overtime it looks very disciplined and stoic The walking animation looks great too.

Primary costume's head wrap feels like it is reminiscent of the traditional Chinese noble hat, again giving a Grand-master feel. The primary mask and over-all costume is okay. Although I personally do not like the Lin-Kuei emblem metallic arm guards and the knot to the front "hanging" piece of the costume. The maskless older version with the head band and beard looked the most amazing so far to me. I wish they'd bring back the turquoise color costume shader from MK3 alt costume.

The intro, victory animations are all very good as well as both of the fatalities are way better than MKX's. I feel that the fatal blow is kind of okay not too good (imo the frozen blood should have stayed red colored instead of turning all blue).

Also I did not mind the change to his eyes, now appearing normal from what used to be all white.
I'd say his first mkx fatality, freeze the body break the spine break you in half, is better than his mk11 chopping block fatality.

now suddenly everyone wants to argue the semantics of ninjas. it's always been that way. scorpion subzero etc. the ninjas. cyrax sektor the cyborgs. mileena kitana basically the female ninjas. since the dawn of mk the palette swaps.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I didn’t think he looked bad but sub can be better imo. I thought scorp and Raiden looked great but I didn’t feel the same about sub.

There has to be a shredder helm skin, they have to know how sick that looked with the fur and shit.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Mk2 Sub will forever be best looking sub. Everything else leaves something to be desired.....