What's new

Opinion on Character Loyalty

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
In the current era of streaming, character loyalty is so much more valuable than it used to be. I used to think like Sanford's "Pick a Top Tier" video, but now that sponsors are a thing, attention is almost as important as results. Of course nobody is gonna care if you placed 80th with your Raiden, but placing high and using a character people don't often see can lead to people tuning in just to see you play your character. Like Biohazard's Bane, HookGangGod's Piccolo or EyeMusician's Yoshimitsu. And all that attention can lead to sponsors trying to throw some cash your way.
That's actually a damn good point. In the realm of MK11, when I used to hear "Kitana," I always thought of Semiij. When I hear "Shao Kahn," I think VideoGamezYo. Cetrion? Dragon. Jade? KitanaPrime. D'Vorah? Honeybee.

There's definitely something to say about being a loyalist when it comes to being in the public eye. It's like having a brand.

I ca
I feel some of this post is directed at me lol

Not gonna lie, I know how it comes off sometimes, but i don't feel Shang is "garbage". No character in this game is truly garbage, not even Raiden. However I felt the nerfs he got were completely unjustified, especially in the light of others characters getting seriously buffed when they didn't need it to that degree.

It's just frustrating for me since it's been the story of my life with NRS games. Every time I decide on a main they turn out to be bad, or they start off good but then quickly get nerfed while others continue their reign of terror. MK9 was the first game I delved into on a more competitive level so I didn't have a true main - Sektor, Shang and Quan Chi were who I played the most.

In MKX, I just didn't like the roster so much. It took a long ass time for Goro and Kenshi to be good, and by then I had dropped the game. Triborg was super neat, but again, a bit too late.

In this game, I started off with Shao who - surprise surprise - was very lackluster on release. So I bear with him, knowing Shang is on the way and dude, words cannot describe how happy I was. Excellent visual design, gameplay that clicks with me, decent frames, good damage. CHT VOICING HIM??? HELL YES.

And then they nerf him. Just like that. Back to playing a character that can't afford to make mistakes cause he has no comeback factor, as well as suddenly being more forgiving of his opponent's mistakes.

I really wanna pick up Skarlet of Noob, but truth is I just don't like them AS MUCH as characters. Yet I could see myself dropping Shang for them since they're the same archetypes, but both Skarlet and Noob have an easier time killing their opponents. Just doesn't feel so good.

That said, I generally like the roster so much more in this game so of course I will end up with multiple characters. Terminator seems really fun atm, even if some MU's make my brain melt.
I can't agree with Noob having an easier time tbh. He doesn't kill the opponent, they kill themselves. He just has to give them the noose.

That's actually a damn good point. In the realm of MK11, when I used to hear "Kitana," I always thought of Semiij. When I hear "Shao Kahn," I think VideoGamezYo. Cetrion? Dragon. Jade? KitanaPrime. D'Vorah? Honeybee.

There's definitely something to say about being a loyalist when it comes to being in the public eye. It's like having a brand.
Don't forget Kung Lao and FoxyGrampa.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Don't forget Kung Lao and FoxyGrampa.
And even though KP used Jade I think he is more known for Kitana.
D'Vorah is more represented by Sonic now after DH MTL.
IrishMantis and Kombat = Johnny
BioHazard= Kano
HoneyBee= D'Vorah, Noob, Cassie
Dizzy/Scar= Sonya
Rewind/NinjaKilla = Liu Kang/Jacqui
Tweedy= Frost/Baraka/Geras
DJT= forever known as Cyrax/ChopChop
Deoxys = Geras
Hayatie = Erron
Gunshow = Jax
Furious Pillow/Azeez = Kotal
Wazminator = The one true Jade
Foxy = Shang/Lao/Nightwolf

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
I used only Dvorah for patch 1.
Than i only used kotal patch 2.
Now i use both, they were the characters i was most excited for.... but I've been a Jade fan since Mk3. Her playstyle just doesnt match. I like set ups

I mess around with other characters just to see their potential and find weaknesses in their game so I can better learn the matchup for my character of choice.

Technically I'm most loyal to Ermac. But he isn't in the game. So I play Sub Zero in a red outfit and try to pretend I'm playing Ermac. Skarlet, Kabal, Erron are my subs.

LawAbidingCitizen

In the current era of streaming, character loyalty is so much more valuable than it used to be. I used to think like Sanford's "Pick a Top Tier" video, but now that sponsors are a thing, attention is almost as important as results. Of course nobody is gonna care if you placed 80th with your Raiden, but placing high and using a character people don't often see can lead to people tuning in just to see you play your character. Like Biohazard's Bane, HookGangGod's Piccolo or EyeMusician's Yoshimitsu. And all that attention can lead to sponsors trying to throw some cash your way.
While that is true I think its rare to get a sponsor because you placed high with low tiers.
I'm not really advocating picking top tiers, quite the opposite actually. I'm saying I think its best players use all characters until they find the perfect fit. Every player has weaknesses and strengths and I think we should pick a character that fits our gameplay while reducing our weak areas.
But fromwhat I'm hearing is its very hard to get sponsored today and even players like NinjaKilla only recently got sponsored after years of dominance over many sponsored top players.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
I've usually stuck with one character for each NRS title, like I've played Jax since release, love his moveset but I've at least opened myself to playing another character (Nightwolf) to some extent which I had not really been able to do for a longtime in other games and struggled with it. but character loyalty usually means you'll most likely understand the MUs for that one character pretty well even in bad matchups and helps out.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I am a character loyalist in legacy games, but in MK some iterations of characters are so vastly different like Skarlet and Jacqui

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I agree: Loyalism shouldn't mean you don't lab.
Having a poor understanding is what leads to people believing certain characters are better than they are.

For example, Raiden shits on Jade hard. If I didn't lab him to see just how bad he is right now, I'd be on here trash-talking all the "Raiden downplayers", convinced they're the idiots while I don't lab.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I stay loyal. I'll always play kazuya. Sf I always play ken and I play liu in mk.

In saying that I finished sf4 with evil ryu and sagat and in Mkx I also played slasher Jason, stunt double johnny and cryomancer sub.

But I always find myself going back to my mains.

I dabbled with noctis in t7 but Kaz is my main since t4 and to be honest noctis bored the shit out of me.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
There are character loyalists who just play the game and find a way to get their character work no matter how bad the character is. (videogamesyo is a good example)
Then there are character "loyalists" who never stop complaining about their character, make 15 buff threads a week, and always blame their losses on their character and think picking a s-tier character will make them get top 8 in majors.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Character loyalty is great because you get to really develop your skill quickly and don't have to relearn how to play neutral with a new character all over again when you could be working on flawless blocking and things like that.

Picking up characters in this game is mad easy tho, and because most characters aren't super deep it's easy to do well with a new one, but I still think people should stick to mains for competitive purposes.

It's like in martial arts, you always use your dominant leg for kicks and you become great at it, you master it with that side even, but you still have to practice with your other leg even if you prioritize the dominant one. That's how I see it, I still focus on Cassie/Kano, but I mess around with other characters to practice different playstyles.

kcd117

Noob
I wish I could just stick with one character and keep playing it from day 1 to the end of the game’s tournament life lol I feel like not focusing in one or two characters hurts my performance sometimes.

Usually, I keep playing every single character I learn, and I learn a lot of characters just for the sake of knowing what gives them the hardest time and start applying it better against them.

The one thing that makes me stay away from a character or dropping it completely is when they dumb it down too much. One of my biggest disapointments in this game was playing Geras in the reveal build and getting hella excited to main him from day 1, only for him to be released this stupid.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I used to be a character loyalist but discovering things is my favorite thing to do in fighting games, so lately i tend to bounce around to different characters.

One thing I do want to say is that character loyalists tend to be much better players in my experience. Like when I play and win with Kotal or Jade i usually get counter picked pretty quick, but a lot of times i still win because I actually grind these characters instead of tapping out in bad matchups. Like you can always tell an actual Scorpion player from the ones who are just looking for an easy counter pick win.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
It's really up to the player. Personally I like taking a character, loving that character, learning every in and out you can...but I also have fun playing other characters. I don't go to tournaments anymore so I'm not trying to "cover bad MUs" or any of that shit nowadays, I just wanna do my thing and have fun.

If I was sponsored and had outside pressure to win I might be a Geras or Kang player.

I'm not a character loyalist, but sometimes I feel a special "click" with some character and i don't want to play anyone else. It's not like "damn, I love this character, must play her whatever it takes", I just don't really wanna play if it's not with my character. For example, in MKX I had fun playing around with most of the cast. In MK11 i tried Frost, Skarlet and later Cetrion. After playing Cetrion, I just stuck with her, because she's the perfect combination of I like the character, i like how she plays, her voice, animations, playstyle; and most importantly, because I LIKE playing her. I never felt as playing a character i don't like just cause she's better or gives me better chances at winning, I like to play characters that feels right. This time around, I'm lucky enough that my choice is also top tier, so i'm probably stuck with her for all the games lifespan.

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
I am and I'll always be a Kano main. I've been maining him since release and I will be playing him the last day before I finally drop this game (hopefully several years in the future).
As long as Kano remains in MK games, every other character I learn is condemned to be a mere secondary.
Sincerely, in this game I haven't found a true reason to not play the character I love, regardless of him being considered bottom tier before the patch. For an average player like me, I feel character flaws doesn't make such a difference (they have to be huge), and I believe it is the same for 80% of the playerbase. Therefore, I can't trust most of the people saying "I am a xxx character loyalist but I had to drop him because ... ":DOGE
At a pro level, as a mere spectator, I only care to watch matches in which at least one of the players can be considered a loyalist.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I've been bouncing around characters quite a bit. I mained Kung Lao for a long period of time. I was convinced that he was much better than bottom five and wanted to do my part to prove it. Nobody was playing him, even Foxy. But my two favorite MK characters, Kano and Kotal, I just couldnt make work at launch. Then Kotal got his D3 buff and I got yelled at by Qwark so I decided to pick him up. Then Kano got his buffs and his third variation and I couldnt be happier. I've mained him for every MK except this one but I really thought he was practically unfinished. Now I have my nice little mid-tier shell of my favorite characters

I really hate buff chasing like this, but this game's roster was all over the place at launch. I wouldnt play my two favorites because they were so weak in my eyes. I really tried tho. Feels kind of like I'm not an actual character loyalist now. I do love Kung Lao but he definitely wasnt my first choice

LawAbidingCitizen

There are character loyalists who just play the game and find a way to get their character work no matter how bad the character is. (videogamesyo is a good example)
Then there are character "loyalists" who never stop complaining about their character, make 15 buff threads a week, and always blame their losses on their character and think picking a s-tier character will make them get top 8 in majors.
That is definitely true. I think most of those loyalists problems would be fixed if they used a character that helped them close their weaknesses as a player. But yes many people blame loses on their character, MU's and other factors when its mostly them.

My first part of the OP is me stating how much respect I have for players like VideoGamezYo making it work.

Character loyalty is great because you get to really develop your skill quickly and don't have to relearn how to play neutral with a new character all over again when you could be working on flawless blocking and things like that.

Picking up characters in this game is mad easy tho, and because most characters aren't super deep it's easy to do well with a new one, but I still think people should stick to mains for competitive purposes.

It's like in martial arts, you always use your dominant leg for kicks and you become great at it, you master it with that side even, but you still have to practice with your other leg even if you prioritize the dominant one. That's how I see it, I still focus on Cassie/Kano, but I mess around with other characters to practice different playstyles.
I completely agree its important to master your mains. I don't feel using only one is necessary and that's reflected by top players who use 3-6 mains and are very effective.
No doubt mastering one character has its benefits over using everyone but I'm seeing a ton of players just on here who are using a character who they feel lacks in many areas and constantly complain about said character, because of this they hate other characters they struggle with.
I also don't think Top Tiers are the only choices in competitive play. Like Circus said in a recent thread: "It's OK for your character to be mid tier" if you pick a viable mid tier and that character helps you fix your issues as a player and strengthens your gameplay you can be effective with them vs Top Tiers like VideoGamezYo's Shao Kahn, Biohazards Kano(Prepatch), Sonics D'Vorah, waz's Jade, Semijj's Kitana(Prepatch).
You can put in the time with even top tiers and get nowhere if that characters tools doesn't fit you as a player.
For me I have to play a character that has
  1. the tools I need and
  2. One I have a passion for
Otherwise I wouldn't grind every matchup and find ways to win tough MU's or discover more tech.

I'm seeing people say:
"my character is bottom tier"
"My character does what everyone else does but shitter"
"My character has nothing to win vs X character, I labbed it"

But with that mindset you already gave up and think you discovered all that there is to find. In every MK we discover ground breaking tech years after the character is used and determined in the tiers.

I honestly don't blame these people for feeling that way because having a character you live but feel they are shit sucks. I understand loyalty but I say give others a try and have an open mind. You might just have a new main and a new perspective on the game, meta and characters.

I'm not a character loyalist, but sometimes I feel a special "click" with some character and i don't want to play anyone else. It's not like "damn, I love this character, must play her whatever it takes", I just don't really wanna play if it's not with my character. For example, in MKX I had fun playing around with most of the cast. In MK11 i tried Frost, Skarlet and later Cetrion. After playing Cetrion, I just stuck with her, because she's the perfect combination of I like the character, i like how she plays, her voice, animations, playstyle; and most importantly, because I LIKE playing her. I never felt as playing a character i don't like just cause she's better or gives me better chances at winning, I like to play characters that feels right. This time around, I'm lucky enough that my choice is also top tier, so i'm probably stuck with her for all the games lifespan.
Look at my post to Vslayer above^^

I get it though I'm like that too. I get a bond with my character and only have motivation for labbing my main. If I don't have the motivation I don't find everything I need.
I do get motivated by losing to a specific character which helps me grind the MU and find things to give me better odds in the MU.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Yeah im a loyalist through and through in mk9 was all noob i added others as the game progressed like sektor shang and skarlet
Injustice was all in on grundy and added martian manhunter cause of his fullscreen normals :DOGE
Mkx was ermac mainly spectral and once triborg released i went all in on cyrax
Skipped ij2 cause i had no console
And all in on noob again with no other char interesting me at all except final judgement terminator .
I think it hinders me quite a bit but i need to love all of the character to want to sit there for hours labbing shit

LawAbidingCitizen

Yeah im a loyalist through and through in mk9 was all noob i added others as the game progressed like sektor shang and skarlet
Injustice was all in on grundy and added martian manhunter cause of his fullscreen normals :DOGE
Mkx was ermac mainly spectral and once triborg released i went all in on cyrax
Skipped ij2 cause i had no console
And all in on noob again with no other char interesting me at all except final judgement terminator .
I think it hinders me quite a bit but i need to love all of the character to want to sit there for hours labbing shit
Yeah Final Judgment is my pseudo version of Cyrax. If Cyrax makes it in somehow I will no doubt stick with him instantly. He is my favorite character in the franchise. I will use others though, I need change to stay occupied while still focusing on mastering my mains and pockets. Love labbing new stuff. In MKX it was finding broke shit, Resets, HBT setups and sick combo setups with cyrax. In MK11 its discovery of OSes, and tech to destroy strong tools and labbing hard MU's that keeps me going.