What's new

Opinion on Breakaways

How do you feel about Breakaway?

• Total voters
I dislike it. I don’t like the fact that it’s entirely useless against combos that keep the opponent standing. It can also put either player at a huge disadvantage. If I break out early I could punish the opponent for doing their combo (ex:Breaking away before scorpion throws spear and getting a KB) but it also keeps the opponent in your face, which isn’t good at all for either party sometimes. I think it should reset neutral like it did in the last 2 games

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
@SixPathsOfHate thats an excuse, i never have this issue
Its not really an excuse but more of a fact. If every button were an individual hit instead of a string of hits then one would be able to react to breakaway with more consistency but currently its doing the string and guessing if the opponent is going to break. At certain heights it doesnt matter how long the string is because you will still recover fast enough to be at an advantage even if they breakaway but with characters whose strings/specials dont knock up high enough it becomes a straight up guessing game because you either guess it and d2 for max damage assuming you have enough time too which is another issue in itself or you continue on your with string because you HAVE to commit to a string since most characters cant juggle more than 1 normal and risk the breakaway and this game has Dial up combos.

Honestly my argument is that there was nothing wrong with the breaker system in MK9/X and was only changed cause NRS loves to change shit regardless of whether or not it works. Case and point, this game.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I hate it. You're almost never at advantage and the opponent is still right on top of you. I don't understand why they didn't just keep Breaker where at least neutral was reset
"Neutral" isn't neutral depending on your character. Breakaway gives the person on offense the "advantage" while being not as resource intensive as combo breakers were in MK9/X or even air escapes in INJ2.

Another part of it was the old meter system rewarding characters way more than others, which meant more breakers. Easy case example of this being a problem is a bad matchup where a rushdown character gets bopped by a zoner largely because there's a dramatic meter gain differential in the favor of the zoner.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I dislike it. I don’t like the fact that it’s entirely useless against combos that keep the opponent standing. It can also put either player at a huge disadvantage. If I break out early I could punish the opponent for doing their combo (ex:Breaking away before scorpion throws spear and getting a KB) but it also keeps the opponent in your face, which isn’t good at all for either party sometimes. I think it should reset neutral like it did in the last 2 games
This ^

SixPathsOfHate

@SixPathsOfHate What im saying is this: Why dont i have this issue?
Because it can be because your character you play since not all characters deal with this issue equally. It could be that it doesnt happen as often to you. Everyone plays the game differently and different playstyles lead to different things. I am betting more on the first but to say you have never had this issue sounds like a stretch. Pretty sure everyone has had the issue of doing a combo and dialing up the string only for the opponent to break out and punish you for doing said string. If not then you must be one lucky bastard.

Because it can be because your character you play since not all characters deal with this issue equally. It could be that it doesnt happen as often to you. Everyone plays the game differently and different playstyles lead to different things. I am betting more on the first but to say you have never had this issue sounds like a stretch. Pretty sure everyone has had the issue of doing a combo and dialing up the string only for the opponent to break out and punish you for doing said string. If not then you must be one lucky bastard.
I play Sub & it happens often. All of his 30% plus BnBs require your opponent to be airborne. Once they see me use his B1 string, it’s breakaway time and I’m getting punished.

now I don’t even use that string in juggles if they have meter. I just use S4.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
OK so i thought about what youre saying and its legit. Best example i can give is this: With kano i have the options to juggle with 3 moves for bnb.
I have 11/f2/22 and each of them have their own recovery. If you know your opponent has the bars, you pick either between d2 (seems to do most damage for least effort) or one of the faster recovering strings. That will solve it.

"Neutral" isn't neutral depending on your character. Breakaway gives the person on offense the "advantage" while being not as resource intensive as combo breakers were in MK9/X or even air escapes in INJ2.

Another part of it was the old meter system rewarding characters way more than others, which meant more breakers. Easy case example of this being a problem is a bad matchup where a rushdown character gets bopped by a zoner largely because there's a dramatic meter gain differential in the favor of the zoner.
I'd prefer the breakers in mk9/mkx because at least then the situation was reset which was the purpose of the breaker in the first place. What happens before or after that is MU dependent. But here with breakaway, it just feels like it's just saving you from some combo damage, if u make a read and time it well you might be able to punish some strings but that's if you can get the breakaway to come out, idk about you but it's hella inconsistent for me. I just perfer the straight forward "get off" of the breaker vs what we have now.

SixPathsOfHate

I'd prefer the breakers in mk9/mkx because at least then the situation was reset which was the purpose of the breaker in the first place. What happens before or after that is MU dependent. But here with breakaway, it just feels like it's just saving you from some combo damage, if u make a read and time it well you might be able to punish some strings but that's if you can get the breakaway to come out, idk about you but it's hella inconsistent for me. I just perfer the straight forward "get off" of the breaker vs what we have now.
In short, consistency is better if you are spending resources for it.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I’m on the fence. It bothers me sometimes. Like there’s will be super intense or close matches, I bust my ass to score a decisive hit, start a combo with the last bar of meter i have only to have someone break away during a part Id have to commit to for enough damage to win and punish me on recovery. But if I didn’t and stopped to bait they could get up and chip me out or something.

I think it wouldn’t be as bad if every character benefited from It. Some characters get ground damage on par with others who can only get that kind of damage with launchers.

Overall it’s odd to me how I’m more or less more cautious than my opponents are when THEY are the ones getting hit, in regards to break away and wake up options that exist. I shouldn’t have the thought in the back of my mind “damn I launched” or “ crap I knocked them down” at times.

Its fine, people jus salty for getting punished because they cant refrain from doing a full string LMAO

If i were to add anything it would be to allow us to combo into grabs like mkx and everyone gets a throw KB for grabbing someone out of the break away.
I actually like the sound of that.

MKF30

Well, the poll results are pretty obvious how majority feel. NRS please take note and bring back breakers. Thanks.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Well, the poll results are pretty obvious how majority feel. NRS please take note and bring back breakers. Thanks.
fuck yeah, agreed !

As defensive gameplay mechanics I will always defend combo breakers over breakaways anytime ! CB are much better, consistent and work exactly the way they are designed at first place ..... hope they get rid out of BW and come back with CB in MK12, sure !

MKF30

fuck yeah, agreed !

As defensive gameplay mechanics I will always defend combo breakers over breakaways anytime ! CB are much better, consistent and work exactly the way they are designed at first place ..... hope they get rid out of BW and come back with CB in MK12, sure !
Exactly! they worked perfectly in MK 9 and MK X, hell even MK vs DC and MK A.

haketh

Noob
Strongly prefer Breakaway to Breakers, Breakaway is interactive unlike Breaker & I actually have options as the aggressor to make a read on Breakaway & sneak in damage & then setup. As the defender I have the option to make certain combo routes unsafe or just not do it & get a person to end the combo early because they think I’m gonna break.

Breaker was you just do it & theirs no interaction it just happens, I always hated it. That’s not to say Breakaway is perfect but it’s more ideal being something closer to a GG Burst.

And yes you can circumvent Breakaway by doing grounded combos which is neat. I adore that kind of stuff that can influence combo paths, you don’t get that Breakers.

SixPathsOfHate

Strongly prefer Breakaway to Breakers, Breakaway is interactive unlike Breaker & I actually have options as the aggressor to make a read on Breakaway & sneak in damage & then setup. As the defender I have the option to make certain combo routes unsafe or just not do it & get a person to end the combo early because they think I’m gonna break.

Breaker was you just do it & theirs no interaction it just happens, I always hated it. That’s not to say Breakaway is perfect but it’s more ideal being something closer to a GG Burst.

And yes you can circumvent Breakaway by doing grounded combos which is neat. I adore that kind of stuff that can influence combo paths, you don’t get that Breakers.
But you did get that with breakers. Variations that had specials that took meter could use those to stop the opponent from breaking. You could also take notice that your opponent had bar and could alter you combo to use projectiles which could not be broken out of. I remember playing as Shinnok and seeing that my opponent had 2 bars coming up so I ended with Hell sparks to win the round. Now not everybody could react and counter it in the same way but there were options for most if not all variations and there was consistency with breakers.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I still hate them. It seems like 75% of every fucking combo I watch on stream is broken.

Finally land that big launching Krushing Blow? Get fucked. No combo for you and bye bye KB.

It's just yet another reason I don't find MK11 fun to play or watch.