What's new

Opinion on Breakaways

How do you feel about Breakaway?

• Total voters

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Curious to see how yall feel about it. Personally i would voted for option 4. It's not the worst thing in the world since it cost all your defensive meter, but I'm really not a fan.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
It used to come out very inconsistently and irritated me. I think they fixed it so it works as intended now.

But i'm very annoyed at how much they nerfed it. I don't think it needed to delay your defensive meter recovery. To breakaway or not to breakaway was a bit of a mind game. If they instead forced the longest possible delayed wakeup on use i don't think it would have been necessar to delay meter regen.

Just my two cents.

trufenix

bye felicia
It used to come out very inconsistently and irritated me. I think they fixed it so it works as intended now.

But i'm very annoyed at how much they nerfed it. I don't think it needed to delay your defensive meter recovery. To breakaway or not to breakaway was a bit of a mind game. If they instead forced the longest possible delayed wakeup on use i don't think it would have been necessar to delay meter regen.

Just my two cents.
Honestly, forcing a long delay would just make it death to use anywhere but absolutely middle of the screen, and veen then anti-breakaway strats would be plentiful.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Honestly, forcing a long delay would just make it death to use anywhere but absolutely middle of the screen, and veen then anti-breakaway strats would be plentiful.
Certainly possible. But even without forced delay, i don't think the meter should regen slowly

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I think its horrible

Some characters don't care about breakaway because the damage is grounded and if you breakaway they'll just pressure you and probably open you up anyway. Then with other characters you can break out of their combo and then launch them or they breakaway and it isn't in your best interest to try and attack even though they have no defensive bar

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
What I like:
  • it adds a new level of mind games
  • it still resembles MKX in that as long as you have the resource you can do it infinite number of times
  • you can still take damage during the breakaway
what I dislike:
  • some characters who are built around aerial combos are kind of shafted in that this game doesn’t revolve around large air combos so you might get one or two successful launchers and the opponent could leave them both easily
  • I find myself accidentally breaking away a lot, I don’t know if it is a me thing or a gameplay thing
  • it gives the incentive to save your defensive meter and by proxy the incentive to not use air based combos

on the whole I don’t hate it, but sometimes I do miss the original MK9/MKX style of breakaways

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Hate them honestly. Breakers were better. The fact that the person doing the combo can get punished due to slower recovery move on an early breakaway is utterly stupid. And from a defensive point of view it's a waste of 2 bars, you can still take damage and in some cases when you're recovering you get hit anyway as you're not getting space like a breaker.

The geras FB that someone mentioned is a prime example why it sucks. Breakers were superior in every way.

Another reason why it sucks is because unlike previous mks where you could break any offensive onslaught , I dont like how you can only breakaway in jugglers only. Especially this game with less combo chances and people just staggering you into free pressure to death. I should be able to break out of any kind of offense that's crowding the shit out of me not just juggles...

Last edited:

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
What would have been a happy compromise would have been to make Breakaways 1 bar and have the armor end quicker and only be 1 hit so doing it mid combo would mean a risk and then to add Breakers back which would cost 2 bars and serve the same function as MKX with resetting neutral.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I'm not a fan but I don't mind it being there. However, it should recover twice as slow as it does now once used.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
The similar mechanic worked better in Injustice 2 because you also had the clash.

But having this instead of breaker I dont like. I dont like how when you do it you have no option to wakeup so you're free to oki. Alternatively if it's when a the attacker is whiffing a special move you can get up and punish. So the attacker got punished for opening you up.

Breaker resetting neutral seemed fair to me.

I hate it. They toned down combos and took away breakers just to add breakaway lol. If I punish someone, they should take punishment like a man.

The only game with good breakers is KI imo.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I hate it but it could be worse.

Why I don't like it:

I feel it doesn't reset neutral like breakers did in previous MK's and there are unfair aspects to it.

1. Breakaway is available far too often making it very hard to combo and get that needed damage when they can just drop out over and over. It requires two combos consecutively to get a full combo punish.

2. Several characters have an advantage in this area while others are at disadvantage because it only works on Airborne opponents and many characters get optimum damage while keeping opponents grounded (Unbreakaway-able Kombos) this creates Inbalance but also makes characters different so there is that.

3. Some characters have high damage tools that still make 30% after they breakaway which is just insult.

4. Some fatal blows are fast enough and hitbox blessed to auto connect after opponents Breakaway. The problem is some characters can't use their Fatal Blow that way because if its wiffing issues or slow short range startup.

What I would like to have in place of Breakaway:
I would much rather have a breakaway that can only be used twice per match and I'd like for it to send both players away from each other giving the player who broke no more than 5f advantage but make sure both are completely out of range from the opponent.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
There are characters who can combo you over and over without needing to spend their offensive meter and you'll either have your hp deleted or out of meter and likely still have your hp deleted. As a character who only ever deals combo damage on a lucky 28f overhead hit, I kind of hate it.

But really, It's not breakaways I dislike, it's that they lied through their teeth about damage, the neutral, advancing mid launchers and pretty much everything.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
In a game this neutral heavy breakaway shouldn't even exist. I'd like NRS to consider an option in the future to disable it in competitive.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Its fine, people jus salty for getting punished because they cant refrain from doing a full string LMAO

If i were to add anything it would be to allow us to combo into grabs like mkx and everyone gets a throw KB for grabbing someone out of the break away.

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
Its fine, people jus salty for getting punished because they cant refrain from doing a full string LMAO

If i were to add anything it would be to allow us to combo into grabs like mkx and everyone gets a throw KB for grabbing someone out of the break away.
That would be fine if this game didnt have dial up combos but it does and in most cases you are either gonna read it and d2 or not have enough time to d2 and just try to setup pressure again.
Edit: An example would be BBTag where they bursts which call your assist in to stop the combo or blockstring and since there is no dial ups in that game you can react and punish accordingly which means that you want to burst when the opponent is doing something they cant cancel like a special.

Why should you be at advantage?
There's different types of advantage. It's not just about spacing or being plus to start your offence again.

The opponent is down 2 bars of defensive meter - no more breakaways, U3/U2's, escape rolls, or any specials that may use it either. That could be a huge loss depending on your character and/or playstyle. So you're at an advantage simply because of their lack of options.

You do the same thing that led to them using their breakaway and you've got a guaranteed 30%+ because they can't use it again.

As with most things in the game it could still be tweaked more to ensure some of the more annoying things don't happen.

But that's just through the eyes of a casual.