What's new

Omg at Geras’s 2nd fatality lol

Lol did you not play MKX? Cassie literally takes a selfie with a dead person with their jaw hanging off. You call that “more serious”?
Its hard to specify what I mean. I mean a selfie fatality is less serious yes. But most of the fatalities seemed more 'possible'. So mk11 cassie kicking out their bones and now this. It just less feasible/believable?.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
See when the fatalties make sense and are brutal, they are amazing. When they’re already dead and you keep doing shit to them, that’s when they’re “meh” to me. As they clearly demonstrated, you can make a brutal and effective fatality without it being... overkill.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
By far the most gruesome fatality so far, that's for sure.
Its hard to specify what I mean. I mean a selfie fatality is less serious yes. But most of the fatalities seemed more 'possible'. So mk11 cassie kicking out their bones and now this. It just less feasible/believable?.
Ed Boon has gone on record saying recently that he makes sure the fatalities aren't realistic enough that someone could recreate them.

He prefers to have them over the top and unbelievable over having them anywhere close to realistic.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
lol wow Geras's 2nd fatality so much better than his first, made me rub my skin after that fatality.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
By far the most gruesome fatality so far, that's for sure.

Ed Boon has gone on record saying recently that he makes sure the fatalities aren't realistic enough that someone could recreate them.

He prefers to have them over the top and unbelievable over having them anywhere close to realistic.
I can kinda sorta understand that from a business POV, but it still sucks for aesthetics IMO.

You have 80% of the game that's becoming more serious and more realistic with every installment (better graphics, more immersive world, better writing) and then you have shit like X-Rays and Fatalities that go hard 180* against that. It's like the game wants to be two things at the same time, extremely gritty and serious, and also extremely comical and silly. Sometimes it works great, like with Johnny, but most of the time it's just fucking bizarre to me.

After being an MK fan for 25 years I can honestly say that cartoony violence has little to no impact on me, so what am I supposed to take away from the fatality? It's not funny, it's not cool, it's not bad-ass, so what is it?

I think the slow mo finish ruined it slightly. It would have been more brutal to see Geras flop the front of her onto the floor or something. Still sick though
Yeah, not a fan of the slow mo finishes. I am not sure how desensitized I have become to violence at this point, but literally my only reaction after watching Geras' second fatality was, "Meh, the slow mo sucks."

I will say that I like the look on Raiden's face during his second fatality. Whatever human traits Raiden used to posses have apparently left him as he just annihilates his mortal opponent without a shred of guilt or emotion. Good stuff.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I can kinda sorta understand that from a business POV, but it still sucks for aesthetics IMO.

You have 80% of the game that's becoming more serious and more realistic with every installment (better graphics, more immersive world, better writing) and then you have shit like X-Rays and Fatalities that go hard 180* against that. It's like the game wants to be two things at the same time, extremely gritty and serious, and also extremely comical and silly. Sometimes it works great, like with Johnny, but most of the time it's just fucking bizarre to me.

After being an MK fan for 25 years I can honestly say that cartoony violence has little to no impact on me, so what am I supposed to take away from the fatality? It's not funny, it's not cool, it's not bad-ass, so what is it?
IMO, the series has always been gritty and serious with very comical and silly overtones, with maybe exceptions to the first game. They kind of start walking on a weird line where the more realistic the games become, the more you're just kind of watching realistic caricatures get murdered. I'm guessing it'll continue this way so the fatalities stay more entertaining and don't cross into morbid territory.

That’s fair enough. But mkx seemed a lot more realistic with the mature atmosphere they seemed to move towards. Mk11 kinda went more OTT and fantasy based. But some fatalities still look good like sonya, especially her second.