What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn (OLD) Kotal Kahn Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

What variation do you plan on using the most?

• War God

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Sun God

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Blood God

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • All Equally

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'd like to add that when they showed the pause screen at the end of that "match" there were still only the three special moves we've seen so far(overhead chop, low sweep, and the weapon throw) so this is apparently not a special move(?)

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
And yet another reason why you guys shouldn't be sleeping on War God:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the swinging animation actually has a hitbox, or this is a sort of rekka/stance where he can choose a different attack out of it.
Slow on startup, and looks quite bad on whiff. Easily reactable/interuptable however I have some ideas how it could be used.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
It it's definitely slow as hell, but like I said, I have a good feeling that there is more to that move than what we see here.

I wonder if it's just a low, or if it's an unblockable.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
And yet another reason why you guys shouldn't be sleeping on War God:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the swinging animation actually has a hitbox, or this is a sort of rekka/stance where he can choose a different attack out of it.
In MKX there are moves that has similar propieties, and watching Shinnok variations in training mode I saw a move sooooo similar with his bone shaker(i think its called like this) and its UNBREAKABLE , sooooo its obvious this move will be unbreakable but slow also

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
*Unblockable
Anyway. Doomsday had one, Sheeva had three. Big freaking deal.
I can buy it if it's a stance with a lot of followup options, otherwise... Meh.
Well, you have an overhead,a low and a proyectile with this weapon, so.... I think there is plenty of mixups

And sorry for the "unbreakable" ... I´m playing KI and also english is not my language :oops:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Well, you have an overhead,a low and a proyectile with this weapon, so.... I think there is plenty of mixups

And sorry for the "unblockable" ... I´m playing KI and also english is not my language :oops:
Unbreakable usually refers to attacks you can't use combo breaker against. Kinda like juggling projectiles in MK9 or b3/f3 in IGAU or supers in both.

I'm not saying War God doesn't get other tools, I'm saying that if what we are seeing right here is just a single 70f move then it will be too gimmicky to be really useful later on. Granted, the beginning of animation will be probably similar to other strikes, but I still don't have faith in such a slow move.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
I'm not saying War God doesn't get other tools, I'm saying that if what we are seeing right here is just a single 70f move then it will be too gimmicky to be really useful later on. Granted, the beginning of animation will be probably similar to other strikes, but I still don't have faith in such a slow move.
Think in mid-long range and the opp. eats a proyectile(which I think its fast and has big hitbox) ,....then he blocks and eat the unblockable...Also if you reach mid-short range you can change low-overhead in a distance where pokes dont reach,etc....
I think this variation is to play footsies with mancuahtl(whatever its called),not for big combos

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Think in mid-long range and the opp. eats a proyectile(which I think its fast and has big hitbox) ,....then he blocks and eat the unblockable...
That's the problem, you don't just eat anything this slow unless you only fight against this character once a blue moon. Kotal's projectile (regular one, not sword throw) doesn't look like something special either.
Up close it may be different if said animation is misleading enough, which is the point I'm making.

Also if you reach mid-short range you can change low-overhead in a distance where pokes dont reach,etc....
I hear ya. I was talking about earth shake specifically.

I think this variation is to play footsies with mancuahtl(whatever its called),not for big combos
His ex-strikes with the sword look like something that launch actually. I also don't buy what NRS have said about "combo variations". They said it about Thundergod, yet it was reported that if anything, Displacer is the "combo variation". TG looks more like something with A-list pressure mindgame shenanigans with extending strings or not instead of charging them (if not just bonus chip damage, which would be rather boring and disappointing).

On Kotal specifically, his Blood/Sun god variations don't seem to have additional launching tools unlike War god btw.

Anyway, I don't feel like I'm saying anything useful right now. I mean, combo or not, who cares. It's damage that matters in the end.

REYTHEGREAT

I think the best variation that Kotal has right now is Blood God. In War God he gets a giant weapon with a huge reach but from the looks of it, it has slow start up and it doesnt look very safe. In Sun God he has to land 3 command grabs in order to get some good damage in. Landing 3 commands grabs in a round its not easy when you are fighting someone who is not a noob to the game.

So I think Blood God is the one for me.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
I think the best variation that Kotal has right now is Blood God. In War God he gets a giant weapon with a huge reach but from the looks of it, it has slow start up and it doesnt look very safe. In Sun God he has to land 3 command grabs in order to get some good damage in. Landing 3 commands grabs in a round its not easy when you are fighting someone who is not a noob to the game.

So I think Blood God is the one for me.
I think(correct me if i am wrong) the command grab is a combo ender too, soo it wont be as difficult to do 2 or 3 in a round.

Unbreakable usually refers to attacks you can't use combo breaker against. Kinda like juggling projectiles in MK9 or b3/f3 in IGAU or supers in both.

maybe it has a use for pressure after knockdown

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
That's the problem, you don't just eat anything this slow unless you only fight against this character once a blue moon. Kotal's projectile (regular one, not sword throw) doesn't look like something special either.
Up close it may be different if said animation is misleading enough, which is the point I'm making.
Its obvious I was talking about the sword proyectile which I repeat is above average from what ive seen... when the opponent see the mancauhatl up, then he wont know what to do, if he respect the proyectile and block ,you can do the unblockable. If he tries to jump or close distance, launch the sword. I think this long distance simple setup is very good against people without teleport

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

I hear ya. I was talking about earth shake specifically.

His ex-strikes with the sword look like something that launch actually. I also don't buy what NRS have said about "combo variations". They said it about Thundergod, yet it was reported that if anything, Displacer is the "combo variation". TG looks more like something with A-list pressure mindgame shenanigans with extending strings or not instead of charging them (if not just bonus chip damage, which would be rather boring and disappointing).

On Kotal specifically, his Blood/Sun god variations don't seem to have additional launching tools unlike War god btw.

Anyway, I don't feel like I'm saying anything useful right now. I mean, combo or not, who cares. It's damage that matters in the end.
In regards to Thunder God, in a clip I saw a while ago Raiden's extra lighting attacks in that variation push the opponent upwards in juggles, so in the corner it lets you get some pretty nasty combos in. Outside it seems like just flat damage buff and extra hits though I'm sure you can land an electric-fly out of a smart juggle combo and push them to the corner where the variation really shines.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Its obvious I was talking about the sword proyectile which I repeat is above average from what ive seen... when the opponent see the mancauhatl up, then he wont know what to do, if he respect the proyectile and block ,you can do the unblockable. If he tries to jump or close distance, launch the sword. I think this long distance simple setup is very good against people without teleport
Man, sword throw is super slow, and I'm not exactly sold on it being indistinguishable from ground slam. What you suggest relies on exactly what we are talking about - having sword stance which you could continue into throw or slam in order to react to jumps.

I think(correct me if i am wrong) the command grab is a combo ender too, soo it wont be as difficult to do 2 or 3 in a round.
If you landed these combos as Kotal, you're probably already won though.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Yeah, that's the weird thing about Sun God.

By the time you land three command grabs to power it up, you're more than likely already winning. I guess it's just a nice round 2 buff.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Yeah, that's the weird thing about Sun God.

By the time you land three command grabs to power it up, you're more than likely already winning. I guess it's just a nice round 2 buff.
Pretty much, although if you hit opponent with just a couple of tick throws and then use MB Scorch (preferably without being hit in the face for that), health swing is already okay-ish. There are other options as well as far as we know...

Status
Not open for further replies.