What's new

Okay Mileena Players, Justify this too me.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
My strategy for beating every top 10 ranked Mileena I've ever fought (there's been some good ones):

EX Telekick - downblock and after 2nd hit uppercut for a free 12% and them wasting a bar, regardless of them using airdaggers or not after 2nd hit
Ball roll - ...I'm not sure what the issue is here. I've never been caught by a ball that made me think "how did he hit me with that?" Either way, anticipate the roll, it's not hard to block
U4 overhead kick - bait them into this by crouchblocking, then fuzzy guard into high block. Almost every single Mileena player I have fought will fall for this bait, giving you the crossover kick to knock them on their ass for 7%

My strategy vs Mileena is not to get 40%+ combos on her - it's to take her strategies apart at the seams and make her feel (and rightly so) that she can't do any of her moves or combo setups without getting punished for 7-12%, not to mention wasting bars on EX moves that fail.

Hope that helps.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
NW is 6-4 on Mileena

when i get some videos recorded my mil vs his NW ill pm you them to help

its VERY winnable for NW
I'd appreciate it. I did win a few so I know it is a winnable fight. I just wish I haden't lost the few I did. When it's razor thin and I lose my last 30% on a low starter it irritates me.

Also, everyone saying "Tons of people have starters from low and high" that is not true, there are about 3 or 4 characters in the game that do. Liu Kang has both and I'm not sure if there is a downside to his or not. Scorpion has both, but the trade off is that if he misses there is a huge punish window. Something Mileena doesn't have (her punish windows are very small). Other mixup characters only have one or the other. Kabal (whose central game is mixup) only has a low starter, there is no overhead for him to combo out of). Sektor (who is a decent mixup character) only has a low starter as well (as far as I know).

MOST characters don't have both, only a select few do, usually with a balancing fact that they are easily punished.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
im tired of people crying over Mileenas d4 no one complained about it till after REO took her to EVO and used it. boo hoo he showed people she can do 3% damage as a poke! oh whats that it lowers her hit box too? NERF NERF SHES OP SHE NEEDS A NERF we all thought she was low teir but now that REO placed well with her SHES OP NERF HER.
Lol, I hated d4 way before Evo. I've had problems against Mileena since I started playing the game. I don't know why you mistook my posts for rage. The reason the match bothers me is because d4>Kitana's d1 due to distance. But if you want me to turn into someone who rages and screams nerf feel free to keep posting aggressive responses.

I said "d4 all day" because it's a good move...

redeyes

Button Masher
Lol, I hated d4 way before Evo. I've had problems against Mileena since I started playing the game. I don't know why you mistook my posts for rage. The reason the match bothers me is because d4>Kitana's d1 due to distance. But if you want me to turn into someone who rages and screams nerf feel free to keep posting aggressive responses.

I said "d4 all day" because it's a good move...

i raged because ive seen you complain about d4 multiple times.

and you play kitana? jump in kick then do a fan boom free combo. d4 isnt that hard to deal with...
or dont get into a poke war!

Creepy00

Noob
Also, everyone saying "Tons of people have starters from low and high" that is not true, there are about 3 or 4 characters in the game that do. Liu Kang has both and I'm not sure if there is a downside to his or not. Scorpion has both, but the trade off is that if he misses there is a huge punish window. Something Mileena doesn't have (her punish windows are very small). Other mixup characters only have one or the other. Kabal (whose central game is mixup) only has a low starter, there is no overhead for him to combo out of). Sektor (who is a decent mixup character) only has a low starter as well (as far as I know).

MOST characters don't have both, only a select few do, usually with a balancing fact that they are easily punished.
Shang tsung, Freddy, Kenshi, Stryker, etc look them up :D

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
I'm not gonna get into Freddy because he is going to get a nerf.

Other than that you listed 3 characters who's central game is zoning all of who have many other issues to deal with (mainly being slow as Christmas) so their starters aren't really that big of an issue.

Her B3 into roll is unsafe, and the hit confirm window is very small. If you throw it out there and it gets blocked, you get punished.

U4 is technically unsafe.

B14 is easy to block.

Her B3 En roll requires her to be right next to the opponent, otherwise it completely whiffs.

On block B3/B3B4 leave her at disadvantage I believe.

She's slow.

redeyes

Button Masher
I'm not gonna get into Freddy because he is going to get a nerf.

Other than that you listed 3 characters who's central game is zoning all of who have many other issues to deal with (mainly being slow as Christmas) so their starters aren't really that big of an issue.
Mileena's normals are very slow also she is normally played as a zoner then you punish with a roll or tele if they mess up.

Standing 1 is 9 frames.

F3, which stuffs just about anything, is 11 frames.

His uppercut is 7 frames.

Shoulder is 10-15 frames.

Mileena has no frame data yet, but you can tell just by looking at her she's nowhere near that.

Nightwolf isn't slow. ♡

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
I used to advise people to block high against Mileena, and that seems to be the consensus. I've since realized I was wrong. What you actually want to do is block low and fuzzy guard overheads on reaction.

Off of b3, Mileena has 3 options: roll (high), en roll (mid), and b4 (low). Once you've blocked b3 (low), immediately go into standing block. This will guard against both versions of roll, which both lead to ~30% combos. Blocked rolls are, of course, very bad news for the Mileena player. The option she can hit you with if you're blocking neutral (b4) does 6%, if memory serves, and allows you the option of a wakeup attack.

It is possible that the Mileena player will skip the b3 and go straight for en roll, which has very fast startup. This is limited by meter, and I know that I personally almost always use b3 first, since most people are blocking high against Mileena anyway; when they are blocking low, most people don't fuzzy guard properly.

U4 overhead kick - bait them into this by crouchblocking, then fuzzy guard into high block. Almost every single Mileena player I have fought will fall for this bait, giving you the crossover kick to knock them on their ass for 7%
Yep.

Evrain

Noob
Mileenas combo starters are slow, but that's what her mixup/mind games are for. I tend to use b3/b4 or d4 to try and bait the player into blocking low so I can follow up into u4. It's hit and miss really - most of the time players do fall for it as I suppose they get irritated from the low attacks, despite them not doing much damage and then make the mistake of blocking low which I follow up with a combo that is obviously way more than a few % from the low attacks. If they have breaker though that's when they start getting smart so trying to do the same bait again is a bit predictable.

cyke_out

Noob
I'd appreciate it. I did win a few so I know it is a winnable fight. I just wish I haden't lost the few I did. When it's razor thin and I lose my last 30% on a low starter it irritates me.

Sektor has an overhead and a low out of his leg lift stance that leads to full combo
Kano has a low combo starter for 27% and his overhead can be comboed for 21%
Scorpion has b+2 overhead for full combo and f+4 into spear for full combo
Quan chi has both a low and an overhead combo starter

I could go on, but you get the point, this is not something limited to just mileena.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
You don't block high against Mileena, you block low and you let go of d when you see her overhead kick coming. After she uses her low kick, you must also go back to neutral right away or the ball will launch you. You can punish the blocked ball with full combo. If the connection is bad there's literally nothing you can do against her, however.

I love having my jip miss because of Mileena's d4, too. Doesn't it feel great. Also, when I whiff a slide because she jumps on my wakeup, she can launch me from full screen with a roll into full combo to punish, lmao.

"What the fuck?
welcome to fighting games.

"Isn't that a little overpowered?"
no.

does anybody have any tips when playing against Mil to help me avoid eating a full combo whenever my op feels like feeding me one?
everyone has their own view on things. here's some basic yet sound untrolling ways to avoid eating a full combo: 1. practice solid defense and punishment. 2. practice safe offense and reliable consistent full combos with oki. 3. combo break if you have it.

of course this all easier said than done. hope that helps at all.

cyke_out

Noob
Mileena is so fun to use, becuase she can get a combo off of anything

overhead
low
air to air sai's or telekick, or punch
anti-air with 4, roll or d+4/d+1

I don't understand. If you block U4, Mileena has massive frame advantage. Unless you meant crouch blocking, and you see her do the kick and then you go for a cross up jk?

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
You don't block high against Mileena, you block low and you let go of d when you see her overhead kick coming. After she uses her low kick, you must also go back to neutral right away or the ball will launch you. You can punish the blocked ball with full combo. If the connection is bad there's literally nothing you can do against her, however.

I love having my jip miss because of Mileena's d4, too. Doesn't it feel great. Also, when I whiff a slide because she jumps on my wakeup, she can launch me from full screen with a roll into full combo to punish, lmao.
Yeah, That is what I'm going to attempt next time.

cyke_out

Noob

O.K. first of all roll doesn't full screen, it's sounds like you're just salty at mileena, and making shit up now.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
seeing as nightwolf is my secondary character heres my thoughts on the matchup.

I feel mileena takes it here personally, nightwolf may not be an awfully slow character but in this matchup he certainly is, if all the mileena does is down 4 there isnt a whole lot nightwolf can do to hurt her. You can always attempt to jump kick her on jump but even if you go for that mileena can air to air you first or catch you with a jump back sai which will lead to further damage.

you cant charge her because of the down 4, he cant do any projectiles as mileena can teleport on reaction due to to their speed. He also can't lay on any pressure do to the wakeup teleport mileena has. In my playstyle i find nightwolf can punish moves heavily which is why in most matchups im ok, just wait for them to hit the ground and punish with a meaty F3,1,up strike combo but because you cant do that to mileena you cant really punish her too great for her errors. unless theres im missing.

still experimenting with matchups right now but at THIS point i strongly feel mileena can comfortably beat nightwolf, by no means is she overpowered though, most characters have answers for her tricks.

you know, mileena is ridiculous..... definitely high tier, but NOT the best.

and i hate how people praise REO just for using her. They say "REO makes a terrible character look good". mileena is amazing. shes like scorpion with IAFbs