What's new

Question ok guys, is her trait even playable/usable?

i love the mix up that people have found with this character and there is probably still stuff that has yet to be found out

there are so few people playing this character but she is mad fun

but one thing for sure is that i feel her trait is just awful, you get punished for FREE!
by the time they finish doing a combo on you, w/e buff you had is gone
to top it off the thing is based on random.

and i have seen a couple of setups people use to have a safe trait activation but you would sacrifice whatever pressure/wakeup/setup you may have had which is where harley really shines! lol i mean cmon

im not sure what they were thinking with her trait, i believe there is a thread discussing possible buffs but i would be happy if they just improve her trait

BlackRam

Noob
From what I have read, traits are safe at the end of some combos and right after your super move. Now are they even useful at that point most likely not.

I haven't used 4 in such a long time, I forget its there. My fingers know the 1,2,3 positions and the R and L positions but my fingers are dumb when it comes to the trait button. Being a Harley user, I never press it unless its a pseudo taunt.

But yeah the move is lackluster, random, and not safe to use. Oh supposedly its useful in KOTH challenge matches where you are given a bonus for not using traits....

SHARKY

Noob
I play Batman but I've been feeling her out in the lab.I can't even really understand what it does.
Anyone care to explain? ??
She is a very interesting character and her j2 is an A2A world beater.

Ronald_A_Knox

Clipeum Aurea
It is supposed to be balanced out by your opponent being wary of running straight into TNT. But the animations are too obvious on when it isn't TNT, still giving your opponents time to blow you up. However, some combo enders DO in fact allow you to trait safely, one of them is f2, 3.

BlackRam

Noob
I play Batman but I've been feeling her out in the lab.I can't even really understand what it does.
Anyone care to explain? ??
She is a very interesting character and her j2 is an A2A world beater.
Harleys Trait

You activate the trait which comes out and must complete the entire animation in order for the action to occur.

One of Three abilities selected at Random:

TNT - Harley throws TNT at the opponent mid-ish range, knock down, unblockable
Rose - Harley smells a flower and restores health over a few seconds, I have read its 12%, which may even be high, I notice that my health bar ever so slightly ticks up.
Joker Picture - Harley kisses a picture then gains increased damage for a few seconds

Harley has a wonderful J2 and J3. Her J3 is great damage comes out quick. J2 is good to open some combos, nice range, quick.

Harley doesn't have the best anti-air you have J2, Upper gun shot, and cupcake, which are all situational. They will work though.

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
Harley's trait is flat out badly designed. Even if it "worked" it would still end up being "I SURE HOPE I GET DYNAMITE THIS TIME." I'd rather it be more like GG Faust, where she throws random projectiles/hazards out. Sure it'd be derivative, but Faust is pretty much the go-to example of a properly designed "random" character and it'd be more fun then this current shit. I highly doubt that'll happen though, it'd take a lot of work to implement and FG developers typically don't drastically redesign characters unless they badly need it (And for good reason).

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
However, some combo enders DO in fact allow you to trait safely, one of them is f2, 3.
False. Anyone with a ranged wakeup can punish any trait use. Go ahead and try it. Turn on tech roll and wake up with Joker and you'll eat a magnum shot and a pie to the face if you try to trait after f2,3.

If TNT goes off and the ranged punish is a high however, the duck animation of the TNT can duck the high.

Ronald_A_Knox

Clipeum Aurea
False. Anyone with a ranged wakeup can punish any trait use. Go ahead and try it. Turn on tech roll and wake up with Joker and you'll eat a magnum shot and a pie to the face if you try to trait after f2,3.
True. Not everyone's got a ranged wakeup though. f2, 3 does its best to not make you eat a combo when you trait, and that's it.

Don't misunderstand me, it's still a shitty trait and it needs something to be done about it. But there is one way by which you don't eat a combo when using it.

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
True. Not everyone's got a ranged wakeup though. f2, 3 does its best to not make you eat a combo when you trait, and that's it.

Don't misunderstand me, it's still a shitty trait and it needs something to be done about it. But there is one way by which you don't eat a combo when using it.
Hard not to misunderstand you when you generalize it saying she does have a safe setup when its completely reliant on matchup.

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
Sorry. I doubt anything will be done about the trait though. Our voices will probably not reach NRS.
You'd be surprised. A lot of the changes that were in MK9 were from opinions voiced by the community. However, in hindsight, some of that can be looked at as shitty.

General concensus is that Harley's trait is ass though, so I suspect it will get a tweek.

Ronald_A_Knox

Clipeum Aurea
You'd be surprised. A lot of the changes that were in MK9 were from opinions voiced by the community. However, in hindsight, some of that can be looked at as shitty.

General concensus is that Harley's trait is ass though, so I suspect it will get a tweek.
NRS cherry-picked the Kano complaints in MK9. He got nerfed. And... that's it. NRS doesn't have unlimited resources to do everything, so they picked the most vocal issue and did it. And it didn't help MK9 in the slightest. I'm not even sure NRS will realise it has to buff struggling characters this time instead of just nerfing one guy. Injustice's fate by itself will depend entirely on whether or not NRS will realise that.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Her trait is shit.

They'd have been better off giving her the same trait, but pushing a direction with the trait button (a la Ares) to get the desired effect. Also, it needs to be cancellable within combos (a la Superman or Green Lantern). Sitting through that entire animation to MAYBE get a damage boost is fucking pointless.

Dulllyanna

NRS cherry-picked the Kano complaints in MK9. He got nerfed. And... that's it. NRS doesn't have unlimited resources to do everything, so they picked the most vocal issue and did it. And it didn't help MK9 in the slightest. I'm not even sure NRS will realise it has to buff struggling characters this time instead of just nerfing one guy. Injustice's fate by itself will depend entirely on whether or not NRS will realise that.
Thankfully the common message (On here at least) is that people just want buffs, and nobody worth a shit wants DS or anybody else to become Kano. Developer's word isn't worth much but they HAVE said that they're mostly going to just buff characters. NRS makes mistakes, but they're steadily getting better about it.

Edit: I really like the idea of her just choosing what she wants, and it'd be easy to do. I'd want the unblockable replaced by another buff in that case though, because it'd likely either end up being too strong or just a dumb reaction test.

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
It wasn't just Kano. A lot of the armor moves that were added, KL's low hat nerf, the slew of Cyrax "nerfs", the attempted nerf of Kabal's NMDC, were all heavily voiced by the community.

NRS this time around has stated that they'd rather buff the lesser characters to make them more on par with the higher characters instead of nerfing shit into the ground, unless it is obviously broken of course. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Ronald_A_Knox

Clipeum Aurea
NRS this time around has stated that they'd rather buff the lesser characters to make them more on par with the higher characters instead of nerfing shit into the ground, unless it is obviously broken of course. So we'll just have to wait and see.
Well they also said there will be no guest characters and the shadow of Scorpion is lurking. But i agree, let's wait and see.

Edit: I really like the idea of her just choosing what she wants, and it'd be easy to do. I'd want the unblockable replaced by another buff in that case though, because it'd likely either end up being too strong or just a dumb reaction test.
Defense buff? Taking less chip would do wonders against Kal-El the Spam Of Krypton and such.

Dulllyanna

That'd definitely work, but I'd prefer walk speed up or maybe even overall speed up as a potential EX, since she doesn't really need meter for combos. Have her hit the crack pipe and go nuts for a couple seconds.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Thankfully the common message (On here at least) is that people just want buffs, and nobody worth a shit wants DS or anybody else to become Kano. Developer's word isn't worth much but they HAVE said that they're mostly going to just buff characters. NRS makes mistakes, but they're steadily getting better about it.

True, but they are only going to address the issues that are most vocal, so making a lot of noise will get their attention. I feel though this time around they are trully out looking for the most abusable tricks to consider doing anything about. I have to agree Harley's trait is useless in a match and doesn't even do much to help yield any higher advantage if one manages to successfully use it. I have almost giving up on using her and have since moved to two other characters that I was just able to pick up on better. I won't give up on her though I like using her and still want to get better with her, I just can't seem to figure out how you use this chick, she is just a completely different style than I am use to altogether.

natey2k4

Noob
If I'm going to use my trait, it's after I charge a full .... silly gun shot (no idea what its called), that's unblockable. But that only works versus bad-to-medium players. Most good players know enough to not let you get that shot off.