What's new

Official Pre-EVO 2012 Mortal Kombat Tier List

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Sektor out of the top 15? They have won...

Well a TIER list doesn't necessarily act like a traditional ranking system...

Each level consists of "even players"... So if you look at Sektor he can be looked at as Top 5 because he is apart of the 5th Tier Level...

So according to REO Sektor is AS GOOD as (Raiden, Skarlet, Rain, Reptile, Shang Tsung) and ONLY below the Kabal group, Sonya group, KL group and Smoke group. I think that is a good way to look at Tier groupings....

NKZero

Noob
I'm not a player that plays the best in the game or anything, but I find it hard to believe Baraka is that low. I think he should be bumped up 1 tier. Hopefully people will change there minds as time goes on, but the rest I can't argue about.
I have Baraka in C+ tier :)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
This is the current tier list for Mortal Kombat as of May 9th, 2012. Do you guys think this list will change after EVO? What do you think of this list?

S+ - Kabal
S - Sonya, Kenshi, Jax
A+ - Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Freddy Krueger
A - Smoke, Kitana, Cyrax
A- - Raiden, Skarlet, Rain, Reptile, Shang Tsung
B+ - Sub-Zero, Sektor, Liu Kang, Ermac
B - Quan Chi, Mileena, Jade
C+ - Cyber Sub-Zero, Nightwolf, Sindel
C - Sheeva, Scorpion, Baraka, Stryker, Noob Saibot
D - Kano

Discuss.
I anticipate Freddy, raiden, skarlet, and jade moving up after evo.

I think Kung Lao will drop some (so over rated), so will jax, and kitana.

The whole list is much more compact than Reo's I think. This game is very balanced.

My list:
S+ - Kabal, skarlet
S - Sonya, Kenshi, Freddy Krueger
A+ - Johnny Cage, Jax, cyrax
A - Raiden, Kitana, smoke, mileena
A- - Kung Lao, Rain, Reptile, Shang Tsung, sektor, Luis kang
B+ - Sub-Zero, Ermac, jade, sindel
B - Quan Chi, nightwolf, Stryker, baraka, scorpian
C+ - Cyber Sub-Zero, sheeva, noob,
C - Kano

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?

The whole list is much more compact than Reo's I think. This game is very balanced.

My list:
S+ - Kabal, skarlet
C - Kano
I was going to mention that Skarlet may be more similar to Kabal than perhaps people realize...but being the Skarlet mod with no tournament experience (yet) I didnt want to say anything.

Their tools vary slightly but are similar or balance out in many ways. I'll list them out if anyone wants later on, when I'm not taking a dump at work (don't act like you haven't done the same! ;))

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master

My list:
S+ - Kabal, skarlet
C - Kano
I respect your placement of Baraka. just sayin.

S+ - Kabal
S - Sonya, Kenshi, Jax
A+ - Kitana, Johnny Cage, Freddy Krueger
A - Smoke, Kung Lao, Cyrax
D - Kano

Kitana is better than cage and kung lao and id say even whit freddy... based on matchups but i believe shed be 5th in the top 5 rest I can agree whit dont know why Kano is soooo bad but maybe u know more about that one.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
1. When you don't know a character's potential, you cannot accurately tier them.
2. To properly showcase a character's true potential, you need an amazing player to pick them up and main them.

This tier list is excellent as of now. It's only been a year since the game came out. Games need multiple years of play and evolution to find everything. Particularly due to the small number of high-level players in MK9 versus, for instance, the Capcom community, it will probably take until 2014 before we know the real power of the entire cast.

Just based on her tools, Skarlet in particular seems like a complete beast whose true potential has yet to be demonstrated. Show us all at Evo, Ninj!

NariTuba

disMember
This is the current tier list for Mortal Kombat as of May 9th, 2012. Do you guys think this list will change after EVO? What do you think of this list?

S+ - Kabal
S - Sonya, Kenshi, Jax
A+ - Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Freddy Krueger
A - Smoke, Kitana, Cyrax
D - Kano

Discuss.
Sektor is better than Raiden, Rain, Reptile, Shang, Sub-Zero and Cyrax

Id say Jax and Cage are about the same level

Kitana is better than Kung Lao

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"

My list:
S+ - Kabal, skarlet
C - Kano
YES..YES people have begun to understand..
EDIT: Sonya is only S tier when you guess right 90% of the time if not I'd say she is A+.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
I would put sektor at the top of the A- tier, spot 13th overall and put Skarlett in A+ and​
Rain in A. If you guys haven't noticed the trend yet, all the DLC characters are A tier and above cuz NRS just threw in ridiculous characters.​
Besides that, list looks good.​

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Where did REO get the Mu numbers in order to complete this tier list when not everyone who was assigned to be the community representative for their character has finished their Mu #'s for their corresponding character or decided on a whole number system or a .5 number system in order to finish their characters Mu chart?

How can kabal be S+ when REO even admits that Kabal has Mu's that can cripple Kabal a bit?
I.E. Jax, Sektor, etc

To be S+ means your character is beyond S tier which means no bad mu's. Even S tier characters have 1 or 2 bad Mu's so for someone to be S+ means they can't have flaws at all which means no bad Mu's which isn't the case for Kabal b/c according to kabal players he has Bad Mu's.

How can characters like ermac and noob be so low when Ermac has like anywhere between 4 or 5 bad Mu's according to Metzos and the rest of the ermac community and a hand full of matches in his favor with a huge # of even matchups

OR

Noob having a crap ton of Bad Matchups with as well have the same # of Good mu's with the rest being even as well.

You can't make a tier list just based on guessing where he character goes. You need the proper data which hasn't been compiled yet b/c half of us can't agree on whether were doing a whole number system ***cough cough which is stupid and pointless cough cough*** or a .5 mu system.

I'm not yelling or complaining at anyone its just I'm tired of these "tier list threads" popping up all the time when we as a community don't even have all the Mu numbers finished. ESPECIALLY when tier lists make the front page. Not everyone in this community uses certain characters and if they do they don't use them tot heir fullest abilities. I don't expect a semi completed tier list anytime soon but well get their eventually.

...but hey what do I know? I don't top right?

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Sektor is better than Raiden, Rain, Reptile, Shang, Sub-Zero and Cyrax

Id say Jax and Cage are about the same level

Kitana is better than Kung Lao
I disagree with all three comments.

On paper, Rain is so god like. Safe armor that leads into combo and reset pressure instantly makes a character not only tournament viable, but tournament winnable. His footsies are also arguably one of, if not the best in the game. People think that Kitana and Sektor are top tier footsie characters, take a look at Rain. Raiden was overated by PL, but that doesn't stop Raiden from being one of the only characters in the game who makes every character not do what they want to do. I don't understand how people don't think Reptile is an A tier character... there are tons of Reptile players out there proving this on a daily basis. Sub Zero was also dramatically underplayed by Brady, and people took his word for it. This character can and should be winning tournaments. Cyrax well... he's Cyrax. There's really three great playstyles out there for this character - when combined I can't image what kind of beast you would have. Maxter's, Noobe's, and Mustard's.

Cage is stupid tier. Jax is at the very least not stupid.

I think Kitana is a great character, but despite nurfs, Lao still has the best mobility in the game. And behind a player who makes near flawless reads, he is almost impossible to beat on paper.

Flagg

Noob
I disagree with all three comments.

On paper, Rain is so god like. Safe armor that leads into combo and reset pressure instantly makes a character not only tournament viable, but tournament winnable. His footsies are also arguably one of, if not the best in the game. People think that Kitana and Sektor are top tier footsie characters, take a look at Rain. Raiden was overated by PL, but that doesn't stop Raiden from being one of the only characters in the game who makes every character not do what they want to do. I don't understand how people don't think Reptile is an A tier character... there are tons of Reptile players out there proving this on a daily basis. Sub Zero was also dramatically underplayed by Brady, and people took his word for it. This character can and should be winning tournaments. Cyrax well... he's Cyrax. There's really three great playstyles out there for this character - when combined I can't image what kind of beast you would have. Maxter's, Noobe's, and Mustard's.

Cage is stupid tier. Jax is at the very least not stupid.

I think Kitana is a great character, but despite nurfs, Lao still has the best mobility in the game. And behind a player who makes near flawless reads, he is almost impossible to beat on paper.
Absolutely brilliant post, couldn't agree more. I don't mind losing to Jax as he requires some brain power, I find Cage an utterly brain dead creation in this game. Reptile and SZ are still as good as people thought they were since day 1.

A few people on the Ermac forums suspect Ermac has nothing worse than 6:4 at most. I mean cmon, we're talking about a character that can get 40% off a aa1. Though there is more to a character than big damage, Ermac is probably the best punisher in the game.

NariTuba, how the Hell do you see Kitana as better than Kung Lao. To be honest, for awhile I've suspected Kitana to be slightly overrated. Anyone with half decent pressure, once they knock her down, it's game over. The only character possibly better than Kung Lao is Kabal. Jax could give KL some problems as well.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
If I wasn't deeply in love with Sektor, I would main Rain and drop everyone else.
Cool character concept, great moves, highest meterless damage in the game, best armor, good footsies(idk where people get this bad footsies from). Complicated character so people cant just pick up and play.

He has a couple glaring holes like 43~RH being stuffed by certain characters d3 and it being armored through and him getting outzoned cuz he doesn't have a projectile that can trade or a safe tele, but their are ways to play around them.

For istance, doing 43~ExRh or just doing 4~roundhouse to mix it up and making good reads to make the tele safe. Also random fact....water bubble is really good against kabal...

archon

Noob
What makes this official? Whose input generated this list? Is a match-up chart correlating with this list forthcoming?

Why do "Tier" lists matter at all in people's minds? Just play who you like, learn every detail about their moves, and execute well enough to win with them. Plain and simple. I've been a Kitana main since the MK2 days and haven't looked back. In the end, Character loyalty is what winds up winning anyway.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
It's just an opinion based chart based on characters gameplay at present time. In the first post reo asked for people to state their opinion on how it will change after evo.

There are no numbers represented in this list. It's just for fun and it's obviously not perfect but it will never be. This game is still being discovered.

derOeler

Death comes to all!
I would put Sektor and Scorpion a least one tier higher and Rain one tier lower.

Skarlet has yet to be demonstrated and it seems we need another reo to execute with her.

Sub Zero could be A Tier but has lost his damagepotential (but Cyrax kept it (in the vita as well, dafuq!) lol).

The DLCs are powerful but I play KL so no problem :d:u:fk ;)