What's new

Official Mortal Kombat 8 News Thread

I didn't see another post like this. I'm not a fan of the 3D MKs, but I'm very interested to see what MK8 looks like.

I read somewhere, Ed Boon said they were going to kill off a lot of old characters and bring in a lot of new ones.

I think it's awesome they are using the unreal 3 engine for MK8.

If you have any MK8 related news post it here.

I'll keep adding new links in this first post as I find them. So come back to check for updates if you are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_8
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/mortalkombat/index.html?tag=result;title;7
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/04/ed_boon_gets_se.html
http://ps3.qj.net/tags/ed-boon/7635 Lot's of interesting rumors
http://www.trmk.org/news/11082/rumor_mill_next_mortal_kombat_to_be_a_versus_title.html
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162494
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2007/02/05/new-mortal-kombat-8-will-be-dark-gritty-and-completely-reinvented-fighting-on-xbox-360-ps3-maybe-wii-in-november-2008.htm

RoGE

Noob
Can't wait for gameplay vodeos, thats what really gets me excited for the next MK game.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nahh, I think SF had too many complaints for similar reasons...keeping it 2D and oldschool.

MK8 isn't going to be 2D....SF failed totally going 3D, but MK needs to just improve on it. MK:DA is a very good game honestly, MKA did better then MKD did in a lot of ways.

I can't wait to see MK8 news, btw yeah most of the characters will die or not return however I'll bet anything Scorpion, Sub-Zero will return...there's never been an MK game or revision without these two.

I hope Ermac, Fujin and Raiden return honestly...storyline wise they're important as well. 8)

MKF30 said:
Nahh, I think SF had too many complaints for similar reasons...keeping it 2D and oldschool.

MK8 isn't going to be 2D....SF failed totally going 3D, but MK needs to just improve on it. MK:DA is a very good game honestly, MKA did better then MKD did in a lot of ways.

I can't wait to see MK8 news, btw yeah most of the characters will die or not return however I'll bet anything Scorpion, Sub-Zero will return...there's never been an MK game or revision without these two.

I hope Ermac, Fujin and Raiden return honestly...storyline wise they're important as well. 8)
Maybe you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I did not say it was going to be 2D, I said it would be nice if it was 3D with 2D movement like how the new SF4 will be. Also, the new street fighter is 3D but you can only move in 2D. That's what I mean, no side stepping.

I wish MK8 was 2D, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Yeap, it would be definitely good... but I don't think that's gonna happen; in my oppinion MK8 will be a War of Gods... with stages in the universe and stuff... flying like Dragon Ball Budokai series and well... also I supose it will be like 3 games exploiting this gameplay, like MK3, UMK3 and MKT... MK4, and MKG... MKDA, MKD and MKA... and well I know I'm not gonna like this game :?

Re: ...

FrozenWorm said:
MK8 will be a War of Gods... with stages in the universe and stuff...
That would be awesome.

I doubt I'll like MK8 either, I'm not fond of any of the 3D MKs. I gave them a shot. They are cool games I just don't like them as much as the 2D MKs.

I hope Midway teams up with another franchise, that would be neat. Midway vs Capcom would be a dream come ture :D

MKF30

Sir-Jabs-Alot said:
MKF30 said:

Maybe you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I did not say it was going to be 2D, I said it would be nice if it was 3D with 2D movement like how the new SF4 will be. Also, the new street fighter is 3D but you can only move in 2D. That's what I mean, no side stepping.

I wish MK8 was 2D, but I doubt that will ever happen.
In otherwords you want it to look 3D but play 2D, MK did that already with MK 4 and it kind of flunked dude. MK should stay 3D and will have to with the UR engine, btw I see what you're saying but I think you're misunderstanding me now a little bit when I refer to "2d and 3D"

When I say 2D or 3D I'm referring to gameplay wise, (not look wise) 8) lookwise, MK started looking 3D since MK4 man. Unreal looking MK is going to look off the hook sick! :D

Re: ...

Scheisse said:
Sir-Jabs-Alot said:
FrozenWorm said:
MK8 will be a War of Gods... with stages in the universe and stuff...
That would be awesome.

I doubt I'll like MK8 either, I'm not fond of any of the 3D MKs. I gave them a shot. They are cool games I just don't like them as much as the 2D MKs.

I hope Midway teams up with another franchise, that would be neat. Midway vs Capcom would be a dream come torture :D
If MK8 is anything like MKA, I'll just get the achievements for the 360, and then throw it away.

MKF30

It won't be, Midway and Boon already said they're ditching everything that was in MKA and starting fresh, Unreal Engine for starters...that's a massive change as it is, they do have to bring back common elements though since it's 3D like parries, tech rolling etc, etc.

If they at least bring back the old fatalities by making them different for each character, I'll be satisfied. I'm just hoping for something better than the other 3D MK's. Maybe adding to KAFighter would be cool, and you could make a fatality with your fighter (not like gay ass MKA KAFatilty, but more creation and variety).

I might just play MK8 alot simplt b/c of the Unreal Engine. Its gonna look and feel insane!

Tim Static

Adminerator
MKF30 said:
Wrong.

MK3 had no Scorpion. And trust me,there was a long time in between MK3 & UMK3. :p

Sektor

Noob
I hope they kill off the new characters. I think the Trilogy characters were the best selection (You had Scorpion and the rest from UMK3, and they also brought back all the old characters they neglected to put in MK3.)

dreemernj

Ambassador
I'd be fine with a complete character reset myself. One of the things I liked about MK3 was that they changed up the roster so much.

Also, the grittier new look inspired by Gears of War sounds promising. There are a couple characters I would like to see reappear in that style: Stryker, Kano, Kabal and Jax. I think if they were smart about it they could have amazing GoW style characters based on them.

But, all new is cool too. I think I've almost completely stopped caring about the story of fighters, and I have mostly stopped caring about what the characters look like. I just want something that's actually good to play.

MKF30

Tim Static said:
MKF30 said:
Wrong.

MK3 had no Scorpion. And trust me,there was a long time in between MK3 & UMK3. :p

Actually, you're wrong re-read what I said. "or revision" ^^ 8) MK 3 wasn't nearly complete as they had intended, thus why they made UMK3 with improvements, more balance and missed characters they intended originally to be put in MK3 such as Scorpion, Kitana :wink: I'm well aware that Scorpion wasn't in "MK3" but again Boon/Midway intended for him, Rep and Kitana, Jade etc to BE in MK3 but being since Midway rushes the MK team with deadlines there was no time to put him in there like they wanted to, thus why UMK3 was made among for improving gameplay etc. Believe me, I read alot about MK, interviews, buy all the exclusive shit and Boon has said this himself as well.

BTW, UMK3 was made a year later roughly that's not that long of a time really as oppose to the time of MK4-MK5 aka MK:DA now that's a long time.

Phoenix, yeah a lot of fans complained about missing oldschool fatalities and hated the ones in MKA. So, I'm sure they'll bring those back. KAK was awesome btw, I loved it. Definitely the best KAK in any fighting game thus far. SC3's sucked...so I hope they expand on the KAK again and make it even better.

@Dreemer, yeah well I agree with you about the darkness etc. MK is dark as hell already so to go back to the oldschool, "seriousness" with no comedy what so ever is awesome. Boon is also a huge fanatic of GOW series as he said that in another interview I read about that was after MKA that MKO posted.

I want to see Ermac, Raiden, Kabal, Fujin, Sub and Scorpion especially. There's going to be a lot of new characters, I think we're going to see another "MK2 and MK:DA" revamped MK game with newer characters and that should be sweet.

MKF30 said:
MK 3 wasn't nearly complete as they had intended, thus why they made UMK3 with improvements
I doubt this will happen with MK8. Boon himself said he was taking the creation of this game very serious. So pretty much, no fucking around :). Can't wait to see some screens or game play footage.

Sir-Jabs-Alot said:
MKF30 said:
MK 3 wasn't nearly complete as they had intended, thus why they made UMK3 with improvements
I doubt this will happen with MK8. Boon himself said he was taking the creation of this game very serious. So pretty much, no fucking around :). Can't wait to see some screens or game play footage.
Any word on when they are aiming for a release?