What's new

Official MK1 Homelander First Look Footage

Comments

I just realized that The Boys Season 4 drops the same weekend as Final Kombat as well. I expect some kinda synergy there.

The Boys is scheduled to release June 13th while the weekend of Final Kombat is June 14th

I like how they are emphasizing his gross behavior with the milk drinking. Might discourage some edgy young adults/teenagers hyping him up as good role model "CaUsE I'm PoLlITIcaLLy InCOrRecT aNd HoMElAndER sAyS iT LiKE it IS LmAO".
The marketing for The Boys rn is crazy! I’m curious to see what they’re going to reference from the show.

That being said I still wish we could stick to MK only DLC characters but that dream died a long time ago…

The marketing for The Boys rn is crazy! I’m curious to see what they’re going to reference from the show.

That being said I still wish we could stick to MK only DLC characters but that dream died a long time ago…
Im gonna take this one step further and wish we didnt have DLC at all. Maybe 2 characters with an aftermath expansion but thats it. I remember when games used to not have post content but deliver an arguably more complete package at launch. Then we had expansion packs, which would only start development after the game was fully launched and those added lots of cool things for a reasonable price. Then we started having those DLC which were mostly just "content we wished to ship with the full game but didnt finish before the deadline so now we will charge for something that should have been base game". We are now in the era of DLC starting before the game is even finished. And dont get me started on microtransactions.

However, this might no be the thread for this discussion hah. All in all, I don't mind homelander because he is popular right now, which means MONEY, which means they can keep adding MK DLC characters instead of just guests, who majorly outsell the mk characters.

so you are basically admitting that you saw my topic and then decided to post yours anyways, and when your was already created, you assumed that people would prefer yours (by whatever reason) and decided to close [not delete, I never said you deleted it] mine. Instead, you could have realized that you created the thread on topic that already existed and then delete yours.

I don't need any credit at all. I just wanted to point out that I find it kind of weird. :)
That’s not what he said. He said after he posted this thread, he saw that you had just posted a similar one. And that since this one was on the front page and had more info, he didn’t delete this one. Someone else deleted yours because there’s no reason to have 2 of the same exact threads. And since this one was on the front page, it’s only logical that this one would remain and the other deleted.

I really don’t understand what the issue is here.

Glad they're finally getting second "superman" out the way. I'm sure takeda will be cool. Now where's noob and an actual ninja version of rain

Then we had expansion packs, which would only start development after the game was fully launched and those added lots of cool things for a reasonable price. Then we started having those DLC which were mostly just "content we wished to ship with the full game but didnt finish before the deadline so now we will charge for something that should have been base game".
Expansion packs were absolutely still using cut content that didn't make it into the original game as well as adding new stuff. They were the analog precursor to what DLC is now.
The main difference between then and now is DLC is factored into a game's budget from the start so the content has to also be planned ahead of time, whereas back then whatever content didn't make it into a game was never going to see daylight.

There definitely seems to be less pride in making the work at least look finished compared to back then. Marketing tactics evolving, too.
"Warrior Shrine koming sooooooon"

I 100% agree that Homelander is far from a Superman clone lore wise. But as far as powers go, he’s a Superman clone, lol. He can fly, super strength, bulletproof, super fast, laser beam eyes, can see through things, super hearing, etc. Only thing different is their weaknesses. Superman is weak to kryptonite, while Homelander is weak to mommy milkers & breast milk. Well, weak in a MUCH different way…

Expansion packs were absolutely still using cut content that didn't make it into the original game as well as adding new stuff. They were the analog precursor to what DLC is now.
The main difference between then and now is DLC is factored into a game's budget from the start so the content has to also be planned ahead of time, whereas back then whatever content didn't make it into a game was never going to see daylight.

There definitely seems to be less pride in making the work at least look finished compared to back then. Marketing tactics evolving, too.
"Warrior Shrine koming sooooooon"
Of course. But I still feel like they were more in the vibe of "look, this new system/concept/enemy/animation/area COULD be done and shipped with the game but it would probably cost way too much extra time and resources while we were ironing out the other parts of the product so we shelved it. After the success of the game we feel confident we can direct resources and time to implement them in an expansion pack". This is basically what FromSoftware did with Dark Souls 1 DLC - they never intended to have DLC in the first place, and lots of prototype enemies and areas are in the base game files, tucked away. After being blown away by the game's success, only then they decided to take those prototypes, polish them and add them alongside new things that were not even scraps of development.

Now? DLC is announced before the game is even finished. Dumb as fuck.

Im gonna take this one step further and wish we didnt have DLC at all. Maybe 2 characters with an aftermath expansion but thats it. I remember when games used to not have post content but deliver an arguably more complete package at launch. Then we had expansion packs, which would only start development after the game was fully launched and those added lots of cool things for a reasonable price. Then we started having those DLC which were mostly just "content we wished to ship with the full game but didnt finish before the deadline so now we will charge for something that should have been base game". We are now in the era of DLC starting before the game is even finished. And dont get me started on microtransactions.

However, this might no be the thread for this discussion hah. All in all, I don't mind homelander because he is popular right now, which means MONEY, which means they can keep adding MK DLC characters instead of just guests, who majorly outsell the mk characters.
I think it’s easy to forget how things used to be, though.

For example, MK3 launched with only 14 characters. By the time they got around to filling out the roster with UMK3, they sold it as a completely new retail game.

MK9 launched with double the number of characters (28), but a number of them were either completely broken, or flat-out didn’t work (pokes negative on hit, barebones kit that didn’t work together, etc). The lowest tier characters in MK1 have infinitely more love given to them than a character like Stryker in MK9. And MK9 ended its life that way, with several characters broken beyond all belief, and several that were left basically unviable.

Anyway, I think everything’s remembered better in hindsight, but all this stuff was actually controversial at the time. We just dealt with it and made the best of it anyway.

Of course. But I still feel like they were more in the vibe of "look, this new system/concept/enemy/animation/area COULD be done and shipped with the game but it would probably cost way too much extra time and resources while we were ironing out the other parts of the product so we shelved it. After the success of the game we feel confident we can direct resources and time to implement them in an expansion pack". This is basically what FromSoftware did with Dark Souls 1 DLC - they never intended to have DLC in the first place, and lots of prototype enemies and areas are in the base game files, tucked away. After being blown away by the game's success, only then they decided to take those prototypes, polish them and add them alongside new things that were not even scraps of development.

Now? DLC is announced before the game is even finished. Dumb as fuck.
Yeah this is the cut content I mean. There's always stuff that doesn't make it into a game that designers wish they could have made work but ran out of time/whatever and expansions were the opportunity to do that without releasing another game. After this proved successful more games began being built with hooks in place to allow stuff to be added in the future as expansions became more popular.

DLC being announced ahead of time is more of a preorder culture issue than the DLC itself since that content is already planned out ahead whether they tell us about it or not. It's planned out because it's more efficient to do that in a reality where everyone expects some kind of addition post-release anyway. We expect it because of the many great games that have made it work, which has left a lot of room for the more predatory strategies the medium allows. I can totally understand being bitter about the latter part, but the idea of pre-planning extra stuff for later in the game's lifetime isn't the bad part, just realistic. The pricing certainly might be, though. I could be wrong but I think Dark Souls 1 was the first game FromSoft has ever made DLC for so it would make sense that's how they handled it. They also never had any intention on porting their games to PC but now both things are expected of any game they make ever since. FromSoft for sure would go in the group of studios that do extra content right, but they still have to plan out the possibility of making it even when they say they have no current plans to.

The industry itself has gotten so big that there's serious money behind it so on a multi million $ game project it makes sense to have everything laid out in advance. They could simply not tell us about it, but they want us to know since that'll make us eager to buy it and someone figured out we'd be willing to hand over our money in advance, too.

On the bright side, you can make a more informed decision about buying, assuming whatever Stuff Pass™ actually shows what it's selling you.

I think it’s easy to forget how things used to be, though.

For example, MK3 launched with only 14 characters. By the time they got around to filling out the roster with UMK3, they sold it as a completely new retail game.

MK9 launched with double the number of characters (28), but a number of them were either completely broken, or flat-out didn’t work (pokes negative on hit, barebones kit that didn’t work together, etc). The lowest tier characters in MK1 have infinitely more love given to them than a character like Stryker in MK9. And MK9 ended its life that way, with several characters broken beyond all belief, and several that were left basically unviable.

Anyway, I think everything’s remembered better in hindsight, but all this stuff was actually controversial at the time. We just dealt with it and made the best of it anyway.
Don't forget the four or five versions of Street Fighter 2. Stuff like this was the DLC or balance patches back then.