What's new

General/Other OBS|KH Rattlehead (blind Cyrax player) appreciation thread

Matix218

Get over here!
@OBS|KH Rattlehead that was some truly impressive play that you showed. Shoutouts to you for not only blowing all of our minds but also making it to winners finals in your pool at EVO. You are the true Kenshi of the MKC (even though you play Cyrax). Shame that you had to play a cyrax in pool winners finals :( given that you play by sound that must literally be impossible... Good showing against Tryant in losers finals though man. You are an inspiration to not just the MK community but the entire fighting game community!

webreg

Noob
OH SHAT, THAT IS LEGIT. But how does he post and read on the forums? I'm confused? A proxy?
No. Text to speech software has improved tremendously in the last 10 years and is nowadays capable of parsing websites and OS windows very well. Some software is even able to recognize individual postings and can jump forward and backward inside a thread and ignores all those useless html tags along the way. There are also a lot of very nice voices available and the days of those strange sounding robot voices is all but gone. Go to this website here and listen for yourself (you can write your own text in the upper left box). However, some blind people prefer the robot voices because they can be understood better at higher speeds.

Braille readers are still being used but younger people who are tech savvy seem to prefer text to speech because it is much more flexible.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
OH SHAT, THAT IS LEGIT. But how does he post and read on the forums? I'm confused? A proxy?
Screen reader. He does not use a mouse since you can do everything with a keyboard.

The main way he learns combos and what strings do and their frame data is from forums like these who post all the info on characters moves and their attributes.
They really help him a ton.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Screen reader. He does not use a mouse since you can do everything with a keyboard.

The main way he learns combos and what strings do and their frame data is from forums like these who post all the info on characters moves and their attributes.
They really help him a ton.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
He is 10x the player I am or will ever be. Mad props to you Rattlesnake.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Hey I try lol. But thanks a lot, seriously. I hope to continue playing with players better than me so it can help me level up even better. Especially now in Injustice and when the new MK comes out. As far as sound learning went, I learned them when the Demo came out and listening to the character reveal trailers carefully, that way when I popped in the game in the console, I would know what to expect in a general sense. And with the layout of training mode, the main menu, and character select screen, I had my bro go over it with me a few times till I completely memorized it.
Wow that's awesome. How are you liking Injustice? Who do you main?

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
Sure I've played it some but I suck horribly at it. Aprone, the sighted developer is a nice guy though and helped me understand what is important if you attempt to write software for the sight impaired. I was for example unaware that blindness is actually rarely a digital state. Quite a lot of people still perceive brightness differences, basic colors or even rough shapes and that's why it is nice to have some simple visual elements in your game but they should never be necessary to play the game.

Have you tried out Karateka? It's a rhythm fighter based on sound patterns that works amazingly well for a lot of people. Sadly it doesn't feature any competitive elements and it seems to be too easy for blind players. Here is a video of it.
Oh that's cool to know your awareness and understanding of the importance of sound and that there are blind gamers out there. Not to mention the various audio games that exist as well.
nah, I haven't heard of that game until now, but I'll check the vid out and will see what's it all about.

OBS|KH Rattlehead

As a Cyrax OG, I take a knee and tip my hat. You are a fucking WARRIOR, my friend.
As a Cyrax OG, I take a knee and tip my hat. You are a fucking WARRIOR, my friend.
haha thank you sir. I hope I repped the character for all the Cyrax players okay at least, even though DJT showed a totally new level of play, especially against Rio's Kabal.

OBS|KH Rattlehead

I use a screen reading software that allows me to read what's on the screen. It also uses keyboard commands that help me navigate anywhere without using a mouse.
Here's a brief intro of what it is and how it works if interested.
http://www.freedomscientific.com/jaws-hq.asp

OBS|KH Rattlehead

I like Injustice. It's fun to play. My only concern is the interactibles since it's hard to know where they are in order to utilize them. I don't turn them off either cuz I want to learn how to totally avoid them. And I main Scorpion, Aquaman, and soon about to pick up Ares because teleporting characters seem to be the best option for me.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I like Injustice. It's fun to play. My only concern is the interactibles since it's hard to know where they are in order to utilize them. I don't turn them off either cuz I want to learn how to totally avoid them. And I main Scorpion, Aquaman, and soon about to pick up Ares because teleporting characters seem to be the best option for me.

Oh awesome. I play Raven and Nightwing, some Scorpion every now and then.

webreg

Noob
OBS|KH Rattlehead
I'm not surprised you play Scorpion because you get an immediate sound feedback based whether the opponent was hit by the teleport or has blocked/ducked it and you can follow it up nicely. Spear and hellfire seem to work in your favor as well because each of them are very distinct in their different individual sound cues, track the opponent and hellfire especially helps you locate your opponent because he either gets hit or needs to jump it.

Anyway, how accessible would you rate Injustice overall based on user interface, gameplay and convenience? Did you enjoy the story mode?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
OBS|KH Rattlehead - This only just occurred to me but, are you able to use Human Cyrax? I guess with the timing on the enhanced bombs and the ambiguity of the regular bombs having no sound he's harder to use but perhaps it would be easier for the Cyrax mirror?

OBS|KH Rattlehead

OBS|KH Rattlehead
I'm not surprised you play Scorpion because you get an immediate sound feedback based whether the opponent was hit by the teleport or has blocked/ducked it and you can follow it up nicely. Spear and hellfire seem to work in your favor as well because each of them are very distinct in their different individual sound cues, track the opponent and hellfire especially helps you locate your opponent because he either gets hit or needs to jump it.

Anyway, how accessible would you rate Injustice overall based on user interface, gameplay and convenience? Did you enjoy the story mode?
That's exactly why I chose Scorpion as soon as he came out. At the time I was focused on Aquaman, but I had trouble getting in whenever opponents would zone or when in online they'd spam only one move. So Scorpion gave me the option to teleport out of it or when the opponent would back off, I'd just throw a hell fire to figure out their location on the screen.And his vortex setups are easy to utilize, I just had to learn what were his best options.

As far as accessibility, Injustice is probably 75% playable. The missions on the S.T.A.R. Labs are not that accessible for blind players and as I mentioned before, the interactibles are a disadvantage. The main gameplay still remains easy to pick up though and yet it's pretty hard when taken at a higher level, which its fun for me IMO. Oh and the story was pretty awesome. I just wished that it was the original Superman gone to the dark side instead of using the idea of multiuniverses. Still it was a pretty awesome story mode.

OBS|KH Rattlehead

OBS|KH Rattlehead - This only just occurred to me but, are you able to use Human Cyrax? I guess with the timing on the enhanced bombs and the ambiguity of the regular bombs having no sound he's harder to use but perhaps it would be easier for the Cyrax mirror?
With Human Cyrax is harder. Like you said, his bombs don't have sound, so it's hard to keep trakk of them. Plus, I don't no any of his BMBS. his teleport is safe too, so I figured he'd be better. So I'm stuck with Robo Cyrax.

AntMan

Banned
Wait, are you typing with your eyes? Sounds unhealthy. I use my fingers and you should too.
I type with my corneas, yes.

But that's besides the point. I was referring to the process of actually seeing the posts you're replying to and "liking" before you type.

Does he have someone by his side whenever he types?

webreg

Noob
Does he have someone by his side whenever he types?
If you still don't get it, watch this. Watch at the 5:20 mark to see how freaking fast some blind people can hear texts. Some can read a text up to 5 times faster than we do. So much for handicap. Being blind always sucks but there has never been a better time for sight impaired people than this day and age in the civilized world. Computer technology and the internet are amazing substitutions for a lot of things these days and you might have chatted and communicated with quite a few blind people in the past without even realizing it. Such is the power of the web.

AntMan

Banned
If you still don't get it, watch this. Watch at the 5:20 mark to see how freaking fast some blind people can hear texts. Some can read a text up to 10 times faster than we do. So much for handicap. Being blind always sucks but there has never been a better time for sight impaired people than this day and age in the civilized world. Computer technology and the internet are amazing substitutions for a lot of things these days and you might have chatted and communicated with quite a few blind people in the past without even realizing it. Such is the power of the web.
Interesting. Wasn't aware.