What's new

Strategy Objective discussion for 1.06 Raven and the metagame

Owerbart

I miss you
Hi. So we had some threads joking about how Raven didn't get a single touch. Yep, its funny. But right now I think that it is in our best interest to try to learn and assimilate the changes in the game overall, which would be stupid to say are not important for us. If any mod thinks this thread shouldn't exist, in my defense I'll say that I'm trying to be objective, so at least merge the OP with the current Raven patch notes thread. Also, the next statements are entirely my opinion and not the ultimate truth, so everyone is welcome to apport their thoughts.

Starting with the gameplay changes:

The b3 and f3 buff: This is huge specially for Raven IMO. Since most of our BnBs include a b3 after a lift, we are going to get more damage from our regular combos, probably out damaging those who don't use b3 in their combos regularly (Deathstroke, Aquaman, Bane, Cyborg?)
Also, in my experience I've been trying to implement MB F3s as part of my game for a somewhat "focus" attack. Now they are encouraged since you take less damage.

Meter burning interactables: On the bright side, those pesky MBs of stages like Metropolis will have less of an impact, also due to the fact that Raven controls the interactable game fairly well. On the dark side, now the interactables that favored zoning such as the Atlantis sink or the missile launcher in Ferris Aircraft aren't going to be as buttsavers as they were.

Stage Specific:

Metropolis, rooftop: Less WASPs are going to play in our favor. We are not a power character and other characters use them better than we.

Insurgency, Lex Lab: Besides backdash and tele while in demon mode, Raven is really vulnerable to those damn lamps and the head thing, because of how big the hitboxes were. Maybe now it's going to be a little more easier.

Insurgency, Command center: Same goes here for the TVs. They were so fucked up that one time, I completely front dashed ending BEHIND the power character, and the damn TV still got me. Nice to see the change here too.

Overall, this is a buff for characters with weak interactable interaction (?), like us.

Characters, let's discuss how THEIR changes affect US.

Aquaman: His cooldown of water of life might be significant for some characters, but since most of our combos start with an early juggle, we already have THAT aspect covered.

Ares: 22 is going to turn in more of a true mid and therefore we won't be able to sneak d1s so easily. His pressure is going to be a harder.
His option to relocate himself with the teles and the ability to meter burn them for best recovery are nice. They grant him better mindgames and even a harder time zoning him

Bane: His damage reduction is not that much of a deal IMO. I think that no Bane player will start pumping venom to reduct the damage unless it is a life or death situation. I've never seen a Bane player using the F2D3, so not sure how much of that buff affects us. Still being -8 still leaves it technically punishable.

Batgirl: Nothing too much to say IMO. I had some cases where F2 would whiff so nice it won't happen anymore.

Batman: His nerfs are HUGE for us. Mechanical bats were a true conditioner for our zoning and because of most of the time Bruce cancels his B23 into bats, the more recovery means less space for him to abuse his oki game against our poor wake-ups. Being able to reflect his grapple is one hell of a buff too. Now he has no such mindgame as Grapple->Release bats->Grapple.

Black Adam: At first glance I think they overnerfed this guy. Already with patience the MU was winnable. MB lighting being negative means that the long range game may be inclined in our favor now. Also hitting GROUNDED OPPONENTS ONLY is also huge.
Another thing that we need to take advantage now is his back dash in the closegame. BA is a great whiff-punisher due to his amazing B2. Now he'll have a harder time with weaker dashes.
The orbs nerf also help in the endgame, and the bootstomp being even more punishable is also nice.

Catwoman: Her catdash having 2 hits of armor means that baiting the EX Catdash with a close pillar and then enhancing it is no longer available. Other than that, we are not very trouble by it due to our nice recovery in Shadow Ravens.

Cyborg: His trait buff is huge and makes the turtle game a lot better. He can now speculate with the life gain if we decide to turtle.

Deathstroke: I would really like to see how his trait buff unfolds. He can turn out deadly with his strings that have shots.

Doomsday: Is going to still be an uphill matchup. But the two hits of armor won't give him that much more of an advantage. With patience I realised this is a pretty winnable matchup.

Flash: The nerf on his d2 is nice, but I don't have that much exp against him. Any thoughts are more than welcome.

Green Arrow: His slide with frame advantage becomes scary, because he now has one more tool to get in. We'll see how much of frame advantage he gets.

Green Lantern: This will still be an easy MU.

Harley Quinn: I'm concerned on how much her B2 got improved. We might need to take special care with our spacing here.

Hawkgirl: Not enough exp here. Anyone is welcomed to contribute.

Joker: His parry buffs and the acid blossom isn't that much of a big deal since we're going to be zoning most of the time. Crowbar being safe now could be a new tool he has to get in.

Killer Frost: So, her parry got buffed. The MU is going to be pretty much the same.

Lex Luthor: Still he will have his same shitty execution, but now orbs are much more menacing. I'm curious to see how much damage he gets from lance blasts and how much his overall hitbox is increased.

Lobo: Not enough exp :( Anyone willing to contribute is welcome.

Martian Manhunter: Not enough exp. Any opinion is apreciated.

Scorpion: I'm not sure on how much his close-up game got nerfed with the 2U3. It's still going to be a very care-needed match-up. The ability to reflect spears is nice because of the shitty recovery.

Shazam: So, even more buffs. His b23 starting combos is HUGE for his up-close game. We're fucked if he comes close.

Sinestro: Not enough exp. Blind_Man care to share how much this affects the current MU?

Solomon Grundy: Buffing the grave rot means it's even nicer for him to turtle if he gets the lifelead and gets his defense chain on.

Superman: F2 got exactly the nerf that we needed. The range. Some things may stop being punishable. Already we got the lasers covered thankfully. The startup on his super might be a good thing in the endgame.

Zatanna: Not enough exp. Anyone is welcome.

Zod: I'm not sure how his changes will affect our MU. Any experience here is also welcome.

Overall, I adress once again that NRS did the right choice leaving Raven the way she is. In fact I was waiting for some nerfs for her, glad we didn't have any. She doesn't need any buffs.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Sinestros B12 is -5 and if he cancels into anything it's a full combo. It helps sinestro because at that distance he had no safe options without trait. I don't think it changes the mu THAT significantly. I still think its 5-5.

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
The b3 and f3 buff: This is huge specially for Raven IMO. Since most of our BnBs include a b3 after a lift, we are going to get more damage from our regular combos, probably out damaging those who don't use b3 in their combos regularly (Deathstroke, Aquaman, Bane, Cyborg?)
It's actually only MB b3/f3 that's getting the damage buff I believe.

You do realize it got shortened and the cooldown/debuff timer lengthened, and he does less damage in it now, right? Right? He got a minor startup buff and nothing else.
Unless you were actually using his trait in high level play effectively, it's a buff. It was very difficult to ever actually use his trait and taking less damage but with much better setups makes his trait more deadly in my opinion. You can probably get it up off of any knockdown now. But we will see

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Shut the fuck up, it's a buff. Don't bring your stupidity to other areas.
Don't bring your hostility around where it's not warranted. Not you, or anyone else, has actually ever logically justified why it's better - and it's because you can't. Last post I'll make on this subject here, because it's not a DS thread. Suffice it to say, Raven has little to fear from it anyways - if he pops trait, she always has a projectile reflect to fall back on, which I believe still works against trait bullets.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
So you guys in the Raven community feel that Raven is fine the way she is? Just wondering, I honestly would've given her some small changes here and there. However, I could see why you guys would think that.

Blind_Ducky

Don't bring your hostility around where it's not warranted. Not you, or anyone else, has actually ever logically justified why it's better - and it's because you can't. Last post I'll make on this subject here, because it's not a DS thread. Suffice it to say, Raven has little to fear from it anyways - if he pops trait, she always has a projectile reflect to fall back on, which I believe still works against trait bullets.
Impossible to react to gunshots & if you mb them then they go through reflect or machine gun beats reflect.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Impossible to react to gunshots & if you mb them then they go through reflect or machine gun beats reflect.
Oh, for sure. But it's an option, along with all her other zoning tools, that's going to diminish the usefulness of his trait against her. Just have to do it on a read, but then if he has trait up and three seconds to use unblockable bullets, that read will get easier...

Blind_Ducky

Oh, for sure. But it's an option, along with all her other zoning tools, that's going to diminish the usefulness of his trait against her. Just have to do it on a read, but then if he has trait up and three seconds to use unblockable bullets, that read will get easier...
Every post you make about deathstroke a trait buff makes me so salty.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Every post you make about deathstroke a trait buff makes me so salty.
I really don't know why. The best option for DS will still be, by far, to run her down and make her deal with oki. She still has basically nothing that gets her out of his shit.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Pushblock?
Not on wakeup! For reference, DS is still only going to be able to get a safe trait activation - especially against Raven - via a combo setup. If he gets her in a combo, it's a better call to finish with sword flip and then chase after her, rather than let her be at range. She's much too hard to fight at a distance, and has a glaring weakness to his ground oki.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
As far as flash goes the only thing that remotely changes it depends on the amount of the damage scaling.

Even if his trait BnBs get toned down to 50% he still just overwhelms her with his tools. Probably going to a stay a solid 6-4 him.

Sami

Noob
Thought this was a Raven thread, not Deathstroke.

Quick opinion: bad MUs got worse (lol 2 hits of armour), bad stages got better. Shame they didn't fix the f22 bug (strange as they fixed quite a few bugs in this one) and make some of her normals more useful (looking at the patch notes it's not surprising, as it's mainly bug fixes and BIG changes).

Shame they didn't fix the f22 bug (strange as they fixed quite a few bugs in this one) and make some of her normals more useful (looking at the patch notes it's not surprising, as it's mainly bug fixes and BIG changes).

That's all I really wanted (or could think of) for her in this patch. Fix the f22 bug and make f2233 not so utterly garbage.