What's new

Question - Cyrax NRS...why did you do this to Cyrax?

JDM

Noob
Deal with it. I'm not crying about CSZ
I think NRS should fix a few of their changes with Triborg. They went way overboard on a lot of them, CSZ included. If I was a CSZ player I'd be complaining too. I really hope they don't leave Triborg like this, it would be so sad. This character was one of the main reasons I stopped with SFV and played MKX again. :(

If they leave them alone so be it.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I too was concerned about the lack of discussion of these nerfs by Mustard. Ketchup put a video out about the Sektor stealth nerf, but Mustard has been absent.

Cyrax definitely needed a few changes, but NRS went a bit too hard on him. I'd totally understand if they just adjusted the amount of bombs you can do in one combo. No one wants to sit there and watch your character bounced around on screen for a full minute. Having said that, I feel awful for the players who put so much time into the Cyrax combo threads and what not. 90% of those combos no longer work now. It's crazy that you can pay for something and then have it completely changed right under your feet.

What happened to NRS nerfing Cyrax but inadvertently buffing him by making his resets even easier? The leaky boat shit was hilarious. Here's to hoping someone finds some new dirt with Cyrax. I'd hate to think he's unviable now. If I'm not mistaken, Mustard made top 8 ay Hypespotting with him, so I hope we all aren't freaking out over nothing.

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
I think NRS should fix a few of their changes with Triborg. They went way overboard on a lot of them, CSZ included. If I was a CSZ player I'd be complaining too. I really hope they don't leave Triborg like this, it would be so sad. This character was one of the main reasons I stopped with SFV and played MKX again. :(

It would be nice if they buffed them a bit. 30 different nerfs is a lot but in the end we have no control over what happens

JDM

Noob
It would be nice if they buffed them a bit. 30 different nerfs is a lot but in the end we have no control over what happens
I don't get this mentality.

Sure we do lol. You know how many nerfs and buffs have happened because the community has been outspoken?? Good or bad NRS definitely takes TYM into account when balancing. I'm pretty sure the large majority of people here believe Triborg has been overnerfed.

I didn't see his post. Yeah Cyrax got overnerfed hard.

And yes, I think he's a bad character. If we're talking compared to the good characters or even the mediocre ones, what does he bring to the table exactly? This is coming from someone who used pre patch Jason and thought he was a damn good character besides a few needed tools (like a better d1 which they gave him, I actually think Jason is very good now). The main things Cyrax has a good whiff punisher and a great backdash. Other than that his design is fundamentally flawed right now. he's a setup character with no real setups like Mustard said outside of the corner.

I don't know, I just don't see it. I'm trying to work with him it's just so.... bad. :(

Edit: I strongly disagree with your post by the way. His combos were annoyingly long and yeah I agree they should have been toned down (which they have obv) but he needed to get rid of the loopable air net htb. It was way too obnoxious and basically presented no risk for the cyrax player. They could have went about it better. Especially since raw bombs grant almost NO significant advantage now. And they definitely shouldn't have made it so EX bomb makes net missfire. What a stupid fucking "Fix".
HTB is only HTB if you incorrectly commit to blocking. If sonya runs at you from full screen and then does a 50/50 is that broken because you incorrectly commited to blocking it?

Kinda reminds me of the whole Cassie setup thing. People were freaking out about that one when all you had to do was hold down.

Back dashes have invincible frames in this games don't they? (seriously asking. I forgot).

Nevermind that though.. Make blocking a viable solution or it's broken is the dominating idea since release here. The other three options that work aren't good enough because one of them isn't hold block.

Last edited:

JDM

Noob
HTB is only HTB if you incorrectly commit to blocking. If sonya runs at you from full screen and then does a 50/50 is that broken because you incorrectly commited to blocking it?

Kinda reminds me of the whole Cassie setup thing. People were freaking out about that one when all you had to do was hold down.

Back dashes have invincible frames in this games don't they? (seriously asking. I forgot).

Nevermind that though.. Make blocking a viable solution or it's broken is the dominating idea since release here. The other three options that work aren't good enough because one of them isn't hold block.
The aerial net HTB's had non-static timing though that's what was so cheap. Sometimes it was overhead low and low overhead. And yes that's pretty broken.

Yeah backdashes are invincible but B2 was so active it would catch backdashes or jumps (still does, but if you try to time it to get the unblockable the net will release too early and you can just jump out)

That loopable vortex was pretty broke. The thing is they could have just made it so one rep of it made your net missfire, not EX bomb or a raw bomb. OR make EX net not missfire on a bomb so you could have looped it, but it would have costed meter, and a raw bomb still has an opportunity to grant another setup/ decent combo. :/

Rebourne07

The only Metallic player left
There are a lot of great ideas in here. I hope NRS can restore Cyrax to glory while keeping him honest. I'm not looking for S++, but I'm sure not looking for D- either.

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
I don't get this mentality.

Sure we do lol. You know how many nerfs and buffs have happened because the community has been outspoken?? Good or bad NRS definitely takes TYM into account when balancing. I'm pretty sure the large majority of people here believe Triborg has been overnerfed.
No changes occur because people like REO create threads (the CSZ thread one day after release) without labbing the character fully make ridiculous claims for the time (CSZ is potentially the best in the game). Then the scrubs who don't lab who don't learn about the game start crying. Ultimately the changes occur because of people like REO (not just reo)

It happens because a select few are outspoken

Last edited:

JDM

Noob
No changes occur because people like REO create threads (the CSZ thread one day after release) without labbing the character fully make ridiculous claims for the time (CSZ is potentially the best in the game). Then the scrubs who don't lab who don't learn about the game start crying. Ultimately the changes occur because of people like REO (not just reo)

It happens because a select few are outspoken
Not really. Pretty sure Reptile got buffed at first cause of the "Reptile Bottom 5?" thread made by Ofidyan.

Maybe it takes higher level people to agree/speak up to get attention but regardless talking about it CAN change stuff.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I highly doubt tym has that much influence on balancing. It's paulo's game and he is going to buff and nerf what he thinks needs buffing or nerfing. Tym may bring things to his attention but the final decision is always up to paulo.

John the Savage

"Safeties disabled, combat mode engaged."

Except you are not incorrectly commiting to blocking with Cyrax. If done correctly blocking a 1 frame oh-low or low-oh is your ONLY option. You cannot backdash, you cannot jump out, there are maybe only 3 armor moves in the game that can escape, and also most X-rays even get stuffed. You are FORCED to commit to blocking something that is almost impossible to block consistently. His ground bomb b2 loop aboslutly needed to go.

Because the last group of characters was added waaaaaay to close to the game's end-of-patch-support.

Overzealously nerfing the late-added wildcards is a safer bet than letting potential problems be.

If they didn't release the "last major patch" at the same time they added a bunch of new characters- my guess is this wouldn't be an issue.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I've been a Cyrax main and loyalist since Mortal Kombat 3 over 20 years ago. When they announced he'd be in MKX I was ecstatic. When he came out I played him nonstop learning everything about him. I decided to learn not just his combos but his match ups and character specific tech, strategies and punishes. It was by far the most fun I have ever had with a fighting game. And then one day I wake up on 3/29 and ALL OF THAT IS GONE! They didn't just make him slower or less safe, they absolutely ruined him. Many of the nerfs were ok and even necessary but decreasing the net timer made it to where NONE of his old bnbs worked anymore. There was a thread of combos here on testyourmight.com that was dozens and dozens of pages long and now he can't do ANY of it. They may as well have removed him from the game. I can't imagine how @PND_Mustard must feel. I think it's very telling that we haven't heard anything from him since it happened. The hype for this game is gone, the addiction is slowly waning. It's a sad day to be a Mortal Kombat fan.
On the subject I've played MK since MK1...that said you should know this has happened to him before anyway. From Vanilla MK3 to UMK3 he got WRECKED because he was one of the few incredibly OP characters. He's usually that way when he comes into a game, then they tone him down lol

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
sup, did you misunderstand me, let me explain what was said, some memebr said that because you made it to top 10 with cyrax that he is still top tier or top mid close to top tier.

i do not believe this.

i am well aware that Cyrax has many struggles in a few matchups.

and i think that the main cause that you placed 8th was only do to your skill, and not that he is broken or has many powerful tools to set him apart from the rest.

i also believe that you have stated that his nerfs where unwarranted and he droped down the tier list, and i also think you may feel that he might need something to compensate for these nerfs.

if im correct about your feelings from what i have read, may i ask what you think about what he might need for small adjustments to help him in his struggles?

Rebourne07

The only Metallic player left
On the subject I've played MK since MK1...that said you should know this has happened to him before anyway. From Vanilla MK3 to UMK3 he got WRECKED because he was one of the few incredibly OP characters. He's usually that way when he comes into a game, then they tone him down lol
Are you 801Vegeta?

Except you are not incorrectly commiting to blocking with Cyrax. If done correctly blocking a 1 frame oh-low or low-oh is your ONLY option. You cannot backdash, you cannot jump out, there are maybe only 3 armor moves in the game that can escape, and also most X-rays even get stuffed. You are FORCED to commit to blocking something that is almost impossible to block consistently. His ground bomb b2 loop aboslutly needed to go.
My timing was probably bad then. I was convinced that you could always just jump or backdash out.