What's new

Question - Cyrax NRS...why did you do this to Cyrax?

Levaranoia

War God
I don't cry when characters get nerfed at least not in public, my complaints are more about general gameplay rules that overwhelmingly benefits more type of playstyle than others, and bug reports, the only character i cry the most is about hat trick not getting buffed.
You still make threads crying about stuff so you have no right to criticize anybody else when you living in a glass house yourself.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You still make threads crying about stuff so you have no right to criticize anybody else when you living in a glass house yourself.
I'm living in the glass house for the past 3 years lol (Green Arrow main)

I'm not criticizing at all, he has all the right to like cyrax, but if he can't learn new combos and somewhat can't adapt to the changes his character got, he should consider moving to another one, there is no need to say " NRS why did you do this to cyrax". We can say pretty much the exact same thing to every single character that got nerfed or wasn't buffed.

Everyone who was here since MK9 know the freakin nightmare Cyrax was when he was allowed to dream, even paulo had his fair share annoyance by nerfing cyrax patch after patch and he still be completely broken to the point that NRS gave up patching the game. This feels more like a safety measure since history was cleary repeating itself

Still, i think they went overboard with the nerfs of the triborg, and the things given to compensate (Cyrax and CSZ) doesn't really address the fact that most of his normals can be low profiled for days, his combos where somewhat hard to come by despite the anti-gravity bombs, i think a gravity scaling should solve most of the issues. But we can't confirm because our version of theory was never truly tested.

Still a good cyrax is yet to be seen, BM-T (our cyrax player) already decided to switch to scorpion after he read the patch notes, he didn't even dropped a tear while everyone else was laughing at the nerfs he character got, considering he is losing in the league yet to win someone with the character by 10 games.

A piece of advice, don't get too attached to characters, NRS can decide to not include them in the next game, can consider to nerf him so bad that will make you cry, either you learn from this or learn the hard way.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I'm not criticizing at all, he has all the right to like cyrax, but if he can't learn new combos and somewhat can't adapt to the changes his character got, he should consider moving to another one, there is no need to say " NRS why did you do this to cyrax". We can say pretty much the exact same thing to every single character that got nerfed or wasn't buffed.

No matter who gets nerfed this should always be talked about, especially when they hit the wrong things just to get one thing out.

and ive learned all the combo's, they arnt worth anything.

33%- meterless.

whats worse is any starter is punishable, only one you can truly hit confirm is 111, and thats reserved for close up punishes.

Some people want to use their favorite character, some people on this site should respect that.

Everyone who was here since MK9 know the freakin nightmare Cyrax was when he was allowed to dream, even paulo had his fair share annoyance by nerfing cyrax patch after patch and he still be completely broken to the point that NRS gave up patching the game. This feels more like a safety measure since history was cleary repeating itself

more like waving a wand hoping they takle the right things, then letting whatever happends slide.

its not ok, and shouldn't be ok no matter what character they did it to. MK9 is MK9 and MKX is MKX.
Cyrax in this game has nothing to do with MK9 cyrax and we all know it. there is no Yank 212 into unblockable bombs, or readable responses into 22 to force them out of a jump out into full reset.

when Cyrax throws a bomb, your response should be laugh and run through.

the recovery is horrible.

on MK9 it was met with fear, you couldn't block them, you where forced to dash cancel or jump out of the way. its a new day we have RUN. no need to worrie, and if they Cast net to close, Full combo punish for you.

Still, i think they went overboard with the nerfs of the triborg, and the things given to compensate (Cyrax and CSZ) doesn't really address the fact that most of his normals can be low profiled for days, his combos where somewhat hard to come by despite the anti-gravity bombs

^this i agree with

Still a good cyrax is yet to be seen, BM-T (our cyrax player) already decided to switch to scorpion after he read the patch notes, he didn't even dropped a tear while everyone else was laughing at the nerfs he character got, considering he is losing in the league yet to win someone with the character by 10 games.
thats because he is not a character loyalist, he does not care about Cyrax, he cares about characters he can win with, like most that play at tournaments, the saying "play to win"

A piece of advice, don't get too attached to characters, NRS can decide to not include them in the next game, can consider to nerf him so bad that will make you cry, either you learn from this or learn the hard way.

Many of us have played Cyrax since MK3 as have I

Last edited:

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
I'm trying to learn Cyrax in these days and I think that some nerfs were needed but they hit him and Triborg in general, too hard.

The nerf that doesn't make sense, for me, are:
- net trap time reduction: I don't know if they do that to avoid HTB, but a huge amount of combos are now impossibile and that destroy a lot of mid screen option for Cyrax. It could be fine if there isn't already a damage bombs combo reduction.
- armor on EX teleport that doesn't allow combo: seriously, this is insane. Cyrax can finally escape pressure and do armored wakeup (that are extremely unsafe, of course) only to not be allow to combo from it? A lot of character have (un)safe armored launcher, and why Cyrax doesn't?

Bomb and nerf damage are ok, nobody wants to wait for a 40 second meterless combo that do 40% damage.
HTB are a bane, in my opinion, and I'm fine if Cyrax can't do that, but net that doesn't came out after a bomb is a big meh...

I always think that, if you nerf a character in a field, you need to buff him in another field.
Since now, all of Cyrax' tools received only nerfs.

And I don't want to talk about Triborg's normal nerf that affect every variation.

Carloz MK

Germany
I've been a Cyrax main and loyalist since Mortal Kombat 3 over 20 years ago. When they announced he'd be in MKX I was ecstatic. When he came out I played him nonstop learning everything about him. I decided to learn not just his combos but his match ups and character specific tech, strategies and punishes. It was by far the most fun I have ever had with a fighting game. And then one day I wake up on 3/29 and ALL OF THAT IS GONE! They didn't just make him slower or less safe, they absolutely ruined him. Many of the nerfs were ok and even necessary but decreasing the net timer made it to where NONE of his old bnbs worked anymore. There was a thread of combos here on testyourmight.com that was dozens and dozens of pages long and now he can't do ANY of it. They may as well have removed him from the game. I can't imagine how @PNDMustard must feel. I think it's very telling that we haven't heard anything from him since it happened. The hype for this game is gone, the addiction is slowly waning. It's a sad day to be a Mortal Kombat fan.
rofl

:´D

JDM

Noob
I did a quick writeup of what I think about current Cyrax. And decent buffs for him:

My thoughts on the Current Cyrax:

After playing with and against Cyrax for a decent amount of time now, I can accurately gauge how bad his nerfs hurt him. IMO, the worst nerf of all was the capture state nerf for net. Now, you're throwing a very unsafe projectile that on trade, will likely not grant you a combo of more than ~20 percent without meter.This is even less if you want an "ok" setup for a bomb, which in reality most of his midscreen meterless setups are not very good anymore now that net misfires after a bomb comes out. Now, it's very hard to get a far bomb after a net on trade (if not usually impossible), and its noticeably difficult to get your normal bnb without run. This all comes together with a damage nerf on top of that, so you're only doing around ~33 percent meterless on an optimal hit. The next nerf that hurt badly was net misfiring after a bomb hits. I completely understand why they did this, as they clearly didn't wantto be able to loop the unblockable back into itself, and I guess they thought this would be the best way to mitigate that. I don't mind that. The reason this nerf hurts so badly, is because stray bombs cannot be converted into even okay damage for the most part. You usually get around ~20-25 into a bomb setup. WHICH IS STILL OKAY. The main problem with this nerf, is imo his best prepatch tool (besides maybe net), was EX bomb.
This move granted a combo on hit and ok pressure on block. However now you get very little damage for spending meter into a bomb setup. Note: none of these meterless bomb setups are very good, they usually get blown up by quick roll/backdash. Maybe something will come along later
that I'm not aware of right now, but right now I think they are very gimmicky. Now, to get decent damage midscreen and stay safe, you need to spend meter for EX buzzsaw, which you cannot hitconfirm for the most part. So you're spending meter on EX buzzsaw,and EX bombs no longer grant you decent combos/setups. I used to be able to end my strings in EX bombs (which could be armored/backdash, but was still a great option as it was + on block and could catch backdashes if you used far bomb) and get a full combo and a good setup afterward.However now I'm FORCED to use EX buzzsaw if I want to capture with net afterwards. There were other nerfs like hit advantages getting nerfed (2,1 no longer grants an unblockable setup after net, however I believe 2 does, but it's much stricter than prepatch), that all take its toll on Cyrax.But his main issue is the capture state on the net.

Also: His "unblockables" (which are his main meterless setups), while still in the game, have always been nothing more than a gimmick. B3D4 pseudo-unblockable has always had a static timing of low low overhead/instant low. With a decent amount of practice you should be blocking it relatively consistently, and the string is unsafe even with a bomb out.

I propose two changes to Cyrax to make him a decent mid tier character:
1: Revert the net change. His combos become impossible/very hard to do from trades or even from simple hits if he's not nearly point blank. The damage nerf was fine but both this and a damage nerf were far too much.
2: EX bomb no longer causes net to missfire. This buff would give Cyrax an ok neutral game again combined with his new ex teleport, seeing as how his net can't combo from mid/full screen on trade, and bombs grant very little damage/weak setups on hit.
EX should be able to loop back into a capture state at least once, since you're spending meter.

his major problems right now:

-His ground net setups have been nerfed a good amount
-His air net setups have been nerfed severely (cannot do it after a normal or EX bomb, net does not hold long enough to actually grant a good setup unless extremely high in the air, which is very hard to time perfectly, you can usually backdash/jump out without a problem now)
-His combos are much more strict, and do less damage
-He's more meter reliant because buzzsaw is the only capture move you can do after a bomb, and this grants weaker setups than prepatch meterless.
-He has no really good mids, no decent pressure tools, no real reason to pick him over a lot of characters. They took his identity away for the most part.

I don't see any point of picking him unless you like being gimmicky and struggling in a lot of matchups with your favorite character.

Before anyone talks about how "Cyrax is still good" read this please.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Are you guys seriously still weeping? Get over it lol. He got nerfed, they're just moving on to injustice 2 and they just did these changes just to make esl season 3 not be like CEO 2015.

Rebourne07

The only Metallic player left
I did a quick writeup of what I think about current Cyrax. And decent buffs for him:

My thoughts on the Current Cyrax:

After playing with and against Cyrax for a decent amount of time now, I can accurately gauge how bad his nerfs hurt him. IMO, the worst nerf of all was the capture state nerf for net. Now, you're throwing a very unsafe projectile that on trade, will likely not grant you a combo of more than ~20 percent without meter.This is even less if you want an "ok" setup for a bomb, which in reality most of his midscreen meterless setups are not very good anymore now that net misfires after a bomb comes out. Now, it's very hard to get a far bomb after a net on trade (if not usually impossible), and its noticeably difficult to get your normal bnb without run. This all comes together with a damage nerf on top of that, so you're only doing around ~33 percent meterless on an optimal hit. The next nerf that hurt badly was net misfiring after a bomb hits. I completely understand why they did this, as they clearly didn't wantto be able to loop the unblockable back into itself, and I guess they thought this would be the best way to mitigate that. I don't mind that. The reason this nerf hurts so badly, is because stray bombs cannot be converted into even okay damage for the most part. You usually get around ~20-25 into a bomb setup. WHICH IS STILL OKAY. The main problem with this nerf, is imo his best prepatch tool (besides maybe net), was EX bomb.
This move granted a combo on hit and ok pressure on block. However now you get very little damage for spending meter into a bomb setup. Note: none of these meterless bomb setups are very good, they usually get blown up by quick roll/backdash. Maybe something will come along later
that I'm not aware of right now, but right now I think they are very gimmicky. Now, to get decent damage midscreen and stay safe, you need to spend meter for EX buzzsaw, which you cannot hitconfirm for the most part. So you're spending meter on EX buzzsaw,and EX bombs no longer grant you decent combos/setups. I used to be able to end my strings in EX bombs (which could be armored/backdash, but was still a great option as it was + on block and could catch backdashes if you used far bomb) and get a full combo and a good setup afterward.However now I'm FORCED to use EX buzzsaw if I want to capture with net afterwards. There were other nerfs like hit advantages getting nerfed (2,1 no longer grants an unblockable setup after net, however I believe 2 does, but it's much stricter than prepatch), that all take its toll on Cyrax.But his main issue is the capture state on the net.

Also: His "unblockables" (which are his main meterless setups), while still in the game, have always been nothing more than a gimmick. B3D4 pseudo-unblockable has always had a static timing of low low overhead/instant low. With a decent amount of practice you should be blocking it relatively consistently, and the string is unsafe even with a bomb out.

I propose two changes to Cyrax to make him a decent mid tier character:
1: Revert the net change. His combos become impossible/very hard to do from trades or even from simple hits if he's not nearly point blank. The damage nerf was fine but both this and a damage nerf were far too much.
2: EX bomb no longer causes net to missfire. This buff would give Cyrax an ok neutral game again combined with his new ex teleport, seeing as how his net can't combo from mid/full screen on trade, and bombs grant very little damage/weak setups on hit.
EX should be able to loop back into a capture state at least once, since you're spending meter.

his major problems right now:

-His ground net setups have been nerfed a good amount
-His air net setups have been nerfed severely (cannot do it after a normal or EX bomb, net does not hold long enough to actually grant a good setup unless extremely high in the air, which is very hard to time perfectly, you can usually backdash/jump out without a problem now)
-His combos are much more strict, and do less damage
-He's more meter reliant because buzzsaw is the only capture move you can do after a bomb, and this grants weaker setups than prepatch meterless.
-He has no really good mids, no decent pressure tools, no real reason to pick him over a lot of characters. They took his identity away for the most part.

I don't see any point of picking him unless you like being gimmicky and struggling in a lot of matchups with your favorite character.

Before anyone talks about how "Cyrax is still good" read this please.
NRS PLEASE READ THIS! This is the perfect solution!!!

Reactions: JDM

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
He's not Cyrax.
He's Triborg with a Cyrax variation.

He's not Mr. Krabs. He's just a robot.

Few human beings alive can rival the bond I share with Cyrax, and I despised at first the way they put him together compared to MK9, even pre-patch with 15 bomb in a combo BnBs and the fucktoblockables. But it isn't his fault, because he's not Cyrax anymore; he's Triborg in a Cyrax suit, pooling from a list of pretty much universal moves and fishing for lows and overheads like everybody else. All NRS did was trigger the coin operated self destruct. And now more devoted determined players will reassemble the pieces and find a way to make him work, because even Imitation Cyrax is still indisputably hard to kill.

#RavioliRavioliGiveMeTheFormuoli

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
He's not Cyrax.
He's Triborg with a Cyrax variation.

He's not Mr. Krabs. He's just a robot.

Few human beings alive can rival the bond I share with Cyrax, and I despised at first the way they put him together compared to MK9, even pre-patch with 15 bomb in a combo BnBs and the fucktoblockables. But it isn't his fault, because he's not Cyrax anymore; he's Triborg in a Cyrax suit, pooling from a list of pretty much universal moves and fishing for lows and overheads like everybody else. All NRS did was trigger the coin operated self destruct. And now more devoted determined players will reassemble the pieces and find a way to make him work, because even Imitation Cyrax is still indisputably hard to kill.

#RavioliRavioliGiveMeTheFormuoli
i can show u some of his new dirt breh :tonyt

musgrave000

Cyrax on rax on rax
Man there's just so much hate hate hate from both sides. I wish we could all just shut up and get along lol. I love my Cyrax, he's my favorite character. After this patch though, I just feel like what I put in doesn't equal what I get out of it, that's all. I just bought a fifth of vodka, locked myself in my room, cried myself to sleep, and begged my ex to take me back (Tanya). Simple as that.

musgrave000

Cyrax on rax on rax
Finally got to use Cyrax on hitbox. Felt much better on it.

This character is still a nightmare, but people are simply doing it wrong.
Can I take this time to apologize for my name? I had no idea there was a Cyrax player named Krayzie, I feel like an asshole now. I just combined my favorite rapper with my favorite MK character lol. I've used this name for many usernames in the past

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Can I take this time to apologize for my name? I had no idea there was a Cyrax player named Krayzie, I feel like an asshole now. I just combined my favorite rapper with my favorite MK character lol. I've used this name for many usernames in the past
I highly doubt Krayzie will even be offended by it. It sounds like a coincidence, nothing more.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
i can show u some of his new dirt breh :tonyt
Mehhhh...it just ain't the same :(.
But you definitely need to show me what you got next time we duel.

I still want him to succeed though. I am way too comfy with the team I have now to turn back, but there's no way Tri-Rax is done making people hate their lives in this game. Not a chance. The way I figure it, the first time I compete with Leatherface, I'm gonna end up having to fight a Cyrax player at some point and my universes will crash into each other.