What's new

NRS please refine the input buffer window to activate special moves

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The one from MKX is still not that good actually, and some character who shared buttons and directional inputs with special moves were accidentally triggering special moves instead of command normals. This issue was such a turn off for MKX and made some already not that good characters pretty hard to use.

Since NRS games input difficulty isn't really that hard which bridges with casual players, it works as a double edged sword and situations like this one can happen.

If you will, this will only make our game far better and more responsive to precise players and ppl who are able to input codes at much faster rate in reaction response to a move already expected.

Injustice 2 is the perfect opportunity to start to refine this, specially now since the beta is on.

If you by any chance you feel ppl have mixed feelings about it, add it as a new negative edge turn off option and name it "precise" or something, to set itself a part from the other controls, preference above all, and enjoyment above everything.

I have a few suggestions
1. reduce input buffer window up a bit, but make sure ppl can still trigger specials by letting go off block.

2. do not allow directional inputs to charge (store) the input for longer than 7 frames or 14 so this way when ppl crouch block a special and respond with a directional input trying to jump or using a command normal while walking back or neutral crouching for a instant, it won't randomly trigger a special move.

I really wish i could provide some videos with it, but i feel like it isn't needed, really hope u guys look into this, it may look like something of minor importance, but its actually huge in competitive gaming.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I remember having a similar problem with Cassie Cage. Don't remember which combo it was, but something kept messing up. Possibly causing an accidental environment interaction, if I recall correctly. I eventually just stopped trying to use her. I think they may have fixed it later, but I'd already moved on to someone else.

EDIT: Actually now that I re-read your post, I guess it's not all that similar, haha. Whoops. Though I do still recall some occurrences of the problem you mentioned. Can't recall specifics though since it's been quite a while.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Can confirm getting df2 when doing f2 from crouch as Superman and db1 when doing b12 from crouch as Supergirl. I'm trying to remember not to press the button as quickly, but right now it's a bit too lenient on the timing.
The input buffer window is probably just the same as MKX, however since I2 is a b2b game, people will feel this more since blocking requires directional inputs to be held either back or down, when going for command normals this will tend to happen a lot.

i've been suffering from this since MKX since on stick i block with back and DB as well (arcade habits) together with the block button, and playing BF characters makes it pretty hard to space other normals.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
100% agreed, even with shortcuts and negative edge off I get so many random things out and my inputs in training are shown as accurate :(

Reactions: GAV

Thingy

Retired account
If NRS can pull this off without any other unintended issues arising, I am in full support of the original post.

The one from MKX is still not that good actually, and some character who shared buttons and directional inputs with special moves were accidentally triggering special moves instead of command normals. This issue was such a turn off for MKX and made some already not that good characters pretty hard to use.

Since NRS games input difficulty isn't really that hard which bridges with casual players, it works as a double edged sword and situations like this one can happen.

If you will, this will only make our game far better and more responsive to precise players and ppl who are able to input codes at much faster rate in reaction response to a move already expected.

Injustice 2 is the perfect opportunity to start to refine this, specially now since the beta is on.

If you by any chance you feel ppl have mixed feelings about it, add it as a new negative edge turn off option and name it "precise" or something, to set itself a part from the other controls, preference above all, and enjoyment above everything.

I have a few suggestions
1. reduce input buffer window up a bit, but make sure ppl can still trigger specials by letting go off block.

2. do not allow directional inputs to charge (store) the input for longer than 7 frames or 14 so this way when ppl crouch block a special and respond with a directional input trying to jump or using a command normal while walking back or neutral crouching for a instant, it won't randomly trigger a special move.

I really wish i could provide some videos with it, but i feel like it isn't needed, really hope u guys look into this, it may look like something of minor importance, but its actually huge in competitive gaming.
Im fairly new to fighting games so all these technical terms are hard for me to follow. Now, forgive me if Im wrong but I think you're talking about how when Im crouching or crouch blocking with Jason and I go to punish someone with b1 and that silly db1 anti-air throw comes out. Am I right?

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Sinestro suffered with this problem in IGAU.

If I ever did b1 or d1 in crouching animation, the system registers it as db1. I can alt controls but that prevents me from doing instant air stuff.

I hope this gets resolved since I'd lose games because of this.

shura30

Shura
I remember having a similar problem with Cassie Cage. Don't remember which combo it was, but something kept messing up. Possibly causing an accidental environment interaction, if I recall correctly. I eventually just stopped trying to use her. I think they may have fixed it later, but I'd already moved on to someone else.

EDIT: Actually now that I re-read your post, I guess it's not all that similar, haha. Whoops. Though I do still recall some occurrences of the problem you mentioned. Can't recall specifics though since it's been quite a while.
btw the string you were talking about was b212d1+2 then changed to b212d2+4

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Im fairly new to fighting games so all these technical terms are hard for me to follow. Now, forgive me if Im wrong but I think you're talking about how when Im crouching or crouch blocking with Jason and I go to punish someone with b1 and that silly db1 anti-air throw comes out. Am I right?
Yes

I fully support this and I hope they can pull his off. In inj 1 I would always go from crouch blocking into b1 with aquaman and get raw scoop which was death. Thank god for trait ;)

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Would love to actually frame count the the max window and then skit in SFV to see the difference

I understand why the window is so big but I feel the big window (the way it is now) should be locked in to negative edge ON and reduced by at least 1/3 when off

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Would love to actually frame count the the max window and then skit in SFV to see the difference

I understand why the window is so big but I feel the big window (the way it is now) should be locked in to negative edge ON and reduced by at least 1/3 when off
Since tomorrow is holyday here i can definitely put a test on.
I did this before but i though it was just my stick having issues, somehow i completely forgot about it, but its an issue i wanted to adress long time ago even before the larger block stuns on punishable moves.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Since tomorrow is holyday here i can definitely put a test on.
I did this before but i though it was just my stick having issues, somehow i completely forgot about it, but its an issue i wanted to adress long time ago even before the larger block stuns on punishable moves.
Yeah I can try myself but it's awkward as fuck

But if you're testing it needs to be tested in 60FPS as because if you count in 30fps you can get 10 which could be 9,10 or 11 so 60 will give you an accurate number