What's new

Discussion NRS Patching - Genuine Balance or Mere Tier Shifting?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
A few characters were handled very well, others were pointless destroyed, and others got a bunch of useless buffs that didn't really help them at all.
tbh, there are a bunch of useless normals and strings (look at Sonya's move list). That's how NRS make fighting game.
After 1st March patch everyone said Tanya is shit tier. Then NRS decided to give her the most useless buff in the history of fighting game (24 now hits duck blocking more consistently). They be like "you guys are complaining? Here, one buff for her, shut up. Just shut the f*** up"

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
NRS needs to look within themselves and identify their problem when it comes to creating a balanced game. Paulo is amazing with the community and all around good guy, but it SEEMS like he has no clue how to get close to anything resembling a good balance in his work.

Level up, Paulo. NRS fans deserve a game that they can be proud of for once.
If you read Daves post and think all those issues are from a man/team who is competent at their job...I don't know what to say.

Paulo plays with the balance of a game like it is his action figures.
All I ask for is more accountability from NRS. MKX has failed the fan but did not fail financially. Players dropped out at record rates, the scene seemed so scattered since no one could possibly understand this game let alone agree, NRS shit on the PC gaming fans, the "balance" has been all over the place, riddled with bugs that took way to long to fix, online sucked bad until the recentish netcode patch....where the hell is the accountability? Their best trait is their biggest weakness, community involvement. Yet regardless of how involved they are, NRS continues to not be very forthcoming and make knee jerk decisions based on fan reaction.

I do not want anyone to lose their job, I just want to see some maturity from this team.

I will not even go into their business model of releasing broken characters for sales purposes. Whether you agree with Dave or not in the past, he is 100% right in this thread.

trufenix

bye felicia
All I ask for is more accountability from NRS. MKX has failed the fan but did not fail financially. Players dropped out at record rates, the scene seemed so scattered since no one could possibly understand this game let alone agree, NRS shit on the PC gaming fans, the "balance" has been all over the place, riddled with bugs that took way to long to fix, online sucked bad until the recentish netcode patch....where the hell is the accountability? Their best trait is their biggest weakness, community involvement. Yet regardless of how involved they are, NRS continues to not be very forthcoming and make knee jerk decisions based on fan reaction.
This entire paragraph is a contradiction. I get that you're mad about pc, I guess. But you can't say there's no accountability in a game that is patched according to "fan reaction" and had its bugs and netcode fixed.

I do not want anyone to lose their job, I just want to see some maturity from this team.
What are you looking for that NRS hasn't given? What does a mature staff look like?

I will not even go into their business model of releasing broken characters for sales purposes. Whether you agree with Dave or not in the past, he is 100% right in this thread.
This is nonsense. Do people actually believe this?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Dead Space 2, there's a qte near the end of the game where Isaac needs to shove a needle through the very center of his eye. If you blow it, that happens.
I still need to play those games, maybe if there is a remaster with the 3 of them. That gif is just too funny in a really fucked up way.

trufenix

bye felicia
I still need to play those games, maybe if there is a remaster with the 3 of them. That gif is just too funny in a really fucked up way.
You definitely need to play DS2. It still goes on super cheap steam sales and turns up in humble bundles all the time, I would not waste the time on 1, and I would only play 3 if you have a co-op buddy. The story is not strong enough to carry the single player campaign.

Edit: If you're looking for the gore though, there's no shortage of youtube compilations of all the ways Isaac (and Carver) can get fucking destroyed in those games.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
You definitely need to play DS2. It still goes on super cheap steam sales and turns up in humble bundles all the time, I would not waste the time on 1, and I would only play 3 if you have a co-op buddy. The story is not strong enough to carry the single player campaign.

Edit: If you're looking for the gore though, there's no shortage of youtube compilations of all the ways Isaac (and Carver) can get fucking destroyed in those games.
Thanks i need something to fap to :DOGE

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I only ever played DS1 because I wanted a RE4 fix.

DS2 looked more action oriented, and by the time it came out I was so sick of 3rd person shooters I just couldn't even think of playing it.

I should get around to it eventually, I have heard ok things.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
trufenix said:
You call MKX a disaster for failing to accomplish in 5 years what it has taken Street Fighter 30 to accomplish. You ignore the year long beta SFV had or the year prior than that when it's alpha masqueraded as Omega mode. It has half the cast (many of whom have issues both + and -) many of whom only slightly different from the last game they were in. It forgoed every (literally every) other possible fighting game feature to deliver an (admittedly pretty good) experience, that still has comfortable top tiers and bottom tiers.
Mortal Kombat X was tested too. I know so because I talk to the testers on a regular basis. Perhaps the game was not tested to the extent that Street Fighter V was. Nonetheless, testing was involved as high level players were invited to test the beta.

Also, I have no idea what "You call MKX a disaster for failing to accomplish in 5 years what it has taken Street Fighter 30 to accomplish" means.

trufenix said:
Dude, I keep tabs. I'm from cc too. And I appreciate whatever torch you still carry for the city and the game, but this delusion that MKX (or NRS in general) is the purveyor of 50/50s and vortexes is nonsense. KoF exists. Marvel exists. Melee exists. Guilty Gear exists. Tekken exists. SF4 exists. All games where getting knocked down is often the end of your turn for a long fucking time.
I have played Street Fighter IV and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. The 50/50 mix ups in those two games are nothing like the 50/50 mix ups in Mortal Kombat X. I have not met a player who is educated in both games who shares this opinion. From my experience, players who do are either scrubs or ignorant people who mindlessly mention random fighting games in order to prove a false premise. Yes, once upon a time Tekken had simple mix ups in previous iterations like Tekken 4 and Tekken 5.0. Both games are universally considered to be trash.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
So a healthy discussion brought by dave, somehow members attack Dave instead and telling things like "M2dave hates the game" lol

like seriously what have we become?
These guys know NRS devs read the forums.

What would Paulo think if they are seen trash talking? How ever will their characters get buffs?

In my opinion best example of proper balancing is what Keits does with Killer Instinct. He does not listen social media or tournament pros opinion, he just changes what he and IG team thinks should be changed.

shura30

Shura
to me, it's not like 50/50 are a problem per se because guessing in other fighting games is there too because crossups (straight from KI's training mode: crossups can be timed to be ambiguous)

in mkx it's the tools that force the (in most cases) guaranteed guessing situation:

- restands
- massive plus frames
- hard knockdowns

and in spite of other fighting games having a few tools to defend against, in MKX the risk/reward ratio is completely off because a 2% damage, frame perfect poke has to withstand a 40% damage potential string/launcher

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I would imagine my opinion is not popular with the brown nosing type.
> You have no idea how the NRS development process works.
> You have no idea what goes and who's involved into balancing and testing.
> You assume things based on half-understood concepts.
> You think you know better than the designers of the game.
> I have no idea who you are and I have never seen you play or met you offline, so I can't say you play at a high level and you understand how game design work, or even how the game should work. But somehow you think whatever personal opinion you have is the truth. You're obviously not being objective so I'm gonna call you out on it, especially considering you're not a proven voice.
> Your assessment of the state of the community and NRS involvement with it is wrong and misinformed. Also, TYM is not where the community is, so just because you're here don't think NRS owes you anything.

Last edited: