What's new

NRS Noob w/ Questions regarding character archetypes

Hey all, don't know much about MK or NRS games in general but MK11 looks like one of the better fighting games released in recent years. I have been disappointed by other fighters recently and I'm desperately looking for something worthwhile that I can really sink my teeth into.

Sorry about the introduction, anyways my question is regarding what kind of character archetypes does the MK universe have in regards to play style? For example in other games I've experience characters that excel in rush down, combo heavy characters, grapplers, zoning or defensive play style.

I tend to lean towards grapplers, zoning and defensive style characters.

I believe there are 8 confirmed characters right now, if anyone would be so kind to give a quick summary of the confirmed character play styles. I assume Geras is a grappler although I could be wrong, Sonya kind of looks like a zoner I would like but I am unfamiliar with variations and how that changes play style.

I wouldn't mind character suggestions and a history lesson on characters from previous Mortal Kombat's that fall into my preferred play style, perhaps they might make it into the game who knows.

Thanks for taking the time to read a noobs post, this game looks pretty dope.

leoj89

Noob
NRS changes things radically from title to title so you never know what you'll get in a character outside of iconic special moves.

Most characters in MK seem to get a little bit of everything while only slightly leaning into a specific play style.

Also while I haven't played the new game I'm almost certain you'll find a strong zoner lol.

Check out these Youtube channels to get a better idea of whats in store for MK11.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PNDKetchup
https://www.youtube.com/user/HoneyBeeCommandeur

NRS changes things radically from title to title so you never know what you'll get in a character outside of iconic special moves.

Most characters in MK seem to get a little bit of everything while only slightly leaning into a specific play style.

Also while I haven't played the new game I'm almost certain you'll find a strong zoner lol.

Check out these Youtube channels to get a better idea of whats in store for MK11.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PNDKetchup
https://www.youtube.com/user/HoneyBeeCommandeur
Thank you, appreciate it.

Hey all, don't know much about MK or NRS games in general but MK11 looks like one of the better fighting games released in recent years. I have been disappointed by other fighters recently and I'm desperately looking for something worthwhile that I can really sink my teeth into.

Sorry about the introduction, anyways my question is regarding what kind of character archetypes does the MK universe have in regards to play style? For example in other games I've experience characters that excel in rush down, combo heavy characters, grapplers, zoning or defensive play style.

I tend to lean towards grapplers, zoning and defensive style characters.

I believe there are 8 confirmed characters right now, if anyone would be so kind to give a quick summary of the confirmed character play styles. I assume Geras is a grappler although I could be wrong, Sonya kind of looks like a zoner I would like but I am unfamiliar with variations and how that changes play style.

I wouldn't mind character suggestions and a history lesson on characters from previous Mortal Kombat's that fall into my preferred play style, perhaps they might make it into the game who knows.

Thanks for taking the time to read a noobs post, this game looks pretty dope.
mk characters are often a little quirky and have unusual combinations of skills, so its hard to tell real archetypes. you have rushdown sorcerers, tactical big guys, grapplers with zonig set-ups - the geras analysis video in his forum might give you an idea.

mk characters are often a little quirky and have unusual combinations of skills, so its hard to tell real archetypes. you have rushdown sorcerers, tactical big guys, grapplers with zonig set-ups - the geras analysis video in his forum might give you an idea.

Thanks, I will take a look.

Baraka looks the most badass appearance wise but I am unsure if his play style fits me, Sonya and Geras look more my style however I don't think they look as cool as Baraka.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
You will find all of thise archetypes in this game, i think the only type of fighter that they don’t have is Boxer.

and with Kustom Variations, i would think you could min-max the fuck out of these characters cause you can cover holes in their game

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Grapplers unite! Keep your eyes peeled for the following characters to be added: Kano, Jax, Kotal Kahn. All three will almost certainly return from MKX to MK11, and all three will almost certainly have grappler variations.

If you want to get a feel for them, you can check out MKX's story mode on youtube, and/or look up their reveal trailers or gameplay, e.g.

for Kano and

for Jax.