What's new

NRS Cancels Last Chance Qualifier Event, Removes Live Audience From Final Kombat Just Day Before the Event

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don't think @Agilaz was displaying a lack of empathy in his post, he certainly didn't call anyone dispensable, thats fucking insane. I think it's fair to say that it is somewhat overblown in terms of how hysterical people can get. Obviously it's very dangerous if caught and every precaution should be taken to avoid it (like NRS did, certainly the right move). While the burden of the virus is intense if someone contracts it, especially if they have a pre-existing health issue, the incidence and prevalence of coronavirus is still low. My heart goes out to anyone affected by the virus, but some people are making it out to be a zombie outbreak lol.

haketh

Noob
You do know this thing has an incubation period of 6-14 days, right?
And it doesn’t show in kids like it does anyone else which is why people are playing it careful.

I do wonder due to the sudden timing of the City or the Venue is who ultimately made the decision to cancel the LCQ. As much as people like to harp on NRS for lack of communication I’m pretty sure if it was up to them they wouldn’t have decided on this so late, especially with them refunding everything travel expense wise.

One of the lead designers on the game has pretty much alluded to this not being NRS’ decision.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
You guys seem to be confusing death rate with total deaths. Obviously the total is lower because the epidemic only started a couple months ago. It continues to grow higher over time.

That doesn’t mean that people should be hysterical about it. But reasonable precautions are in order. There’s no vaccine for it yet, so figuring out how to manage the spread is just as important as treating the people who get it.

We all have parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends who are older, so hopefully we all have a bit of empathy for the people who suffer most from this. And the doctor who first reported this outbreak died — and he was neither old, nor chronically ill, and was a medical professional. So I think it’s best to not be cavalier.

Imo ‘calm but smart’ is the best course of action.
It's not an epidemic

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
You do know this thing has an incubation period of 6-14 days, right?
Yes, and that's unfortunate which why I also stress staying home as long as possible and more importantly doing everything you can to prevent it, protect yourself like using hand sanitizer with 60 to 70% minimum, wash your hands often youd be surprised how many people if ore a simple task.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's not an epidemic
It clearly is — look up the word

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

It clearly is — look up the word

Isn't it a pandemic by this point?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Isn't it a pandemic by this point?
If he read my post, it was referring to the outbreak in China two months ago, which was (and still is) classified as an epidemic.

The WHO hasn’t officially declared it a pandemic yet (even though I think it is), but declaring it a pandemic still doesn’t preclude it from being an epidemic when you’re talking about a specific country (China, Italy, etc).

I think a lot of people don’t know what these terms really mean.

E

Eldriken

If he read my post, it was referring to the outbreak in China two months ago, which was (and still is) classified as an epidemic.

The WHO hasn’t officially declared it a pandemic yet (even though I think it is), but declaring it a pandemic still doesn’t preclude it from being an epidemic when you’re talking about a specific country (China, Italy, etc).

I think a lot of people don’t know what these terms really mean.
Oh, I know and agree. Just making sure. =P

UGL Preon

The Casual God
I totally understand the reason for shutting it down. And trying to keep the numbers low. Its good on them that there refunding... any of the funds for the folks who came out. My only point of contention on why I disagree with the move overall is... the players are already there or were on the way there. The players/spectators have ALREADY taken the risk just by making the trip in the first place. A lot of them are already in contact with eachother. While I understand the incubation period, I don't think THIS LATE into the game the outcome would be different if the LCQ happened or not in terms of the current epidemic.

Its not a good look especially when you have this many people who are your MOST LOYAL of Kombatants. They've trained so hard for months, the grinding, the late night sets, the first to deaths, the time put into this over anything else... only to get told #OmegaLul Not this year baybee~.

Like I said I get the trepedation but there was AMPLE time to come to this decision well before they did. Could've done it last week, 3 days ago, or a couple weeks back when Ed Boon was asking if any of these other events were closing down via twitter.

But here we are... the LCQ went from Last Chance Qualifier to Last Corona Quarantine. GG

MKF30

The main issue is how easily it is to get or and spread it, not necessarily how deadly it is however as most people do in fact survive it or get a mild case. It's people with compromised immune issues, sever health problems or the elderly most at risk.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
The death rate isn't the issue. It is the infection rate. The death rate is small, unless you are in your late 60s as you get to your parents and grand parents age it climbs into the 20% range. The issue with this vs say MERS for example had a 30% death rate and a nearly 70% for 70+... BUT the virus was very hard to transmit. So the numbers of deaths are small. With this one as it is so easily transferable the actual death rates are low, but as so many 100s and 1000s are infected you end up with very large piles of dead bodies... mostly peoples parents and grandparents. I find a lot fo this talk about it not really effecting the youth to be callous. It isn't about you, if you are a young healthy person you are correct you will probably NOT die... but it is not about you, it is about who you pass it on to and who they pass it on to.

Slymind

Noob
And it doesn’t show in kids like it does anyone else which is why people are playing it careful.

I do wonder due to the sudden timing of the City or the Venue is who ultimately made the decision to cancel the LCQ. As much as people like to harp on NRS for lack of communication I’m pretty sure if it was up to them they wouldn’t have decided on this so late, especially with them refunding everything travel expense wise.

One of the lead designers on the game has pretty much alluded to this not being NRS’ decision.
Source?

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Um. I didn't ask proof for that, Flames. Get the fuck out of here, dude. You're not even trying by this point.
You getting high?

Eldriken

You're not being any better currently.

Got that proof ready yet?

Today at 12:07 AM

Can someone please check on this guy?

E

Eldriken

You getting high?

Eldriken

You're not being any better currently.

Got that proof ready yet?

Today at 12:07 AM

Can someone please check on this guy?
Holy shit, dude. There is no sense in dealing with you because you do not know how to read.

MKF30

Yeah jynks for that reason is why everyone must be considerate If sick, not go near many people once you know you have it and wash your hands, use sanitizers with 60 to to 70% or higher alcohol as this is alot more effective than less than 60%, it won't be as good as soap and water but when you're on the go it's the second best thing.

It's also a threat to people who have serious health issues especially those with weaker immune systems besides the elderly, older folks. Not sure about kids though, I've read the flu is actually hitting kids hard this season but. Ot sure about cv.

E

Eldriken

YO SERIOUSLY WILL SOMEONE IN THIS FUCKING THREAD TALK TO THIS GUY HE MODS?????
I didn't ask you for proof about what you said about leaks, dude. If you don't stop this shit now, you're history. End of story.