What's new

Nooby question about forward 4 ground skull.

Espio

Kokomo
Great Shangs will laugh at me for this, but I cannot for the life of me get forward close ground skull to come out...I don't get it. I get forward 4 and the other ground skulls to come out easily.

I can do Sindel's levi cancels and Stryker's cancels fine, but don't get what I'm doing wrong with this and it's probably super obvious, I'm sure it's a timing issue.

Also thanks in advance for any help provided :).

NKZero

Noob
Advice: practice!

Seriously there's no fool-proof way to get it done. Just practice quickly getting the DU motion on a consistent basis.

I just press the sequence as quickly as possible. Maybe you are forgetting to press circle a second time or something since your thumb is already lingering on the same button?

Espio

Kokomo
Advice: practice!

Seriously there's no fool-proof way to get it done. Just practice quickly getting the DU motion on a consistent basis.

I just press the sequence as quickly as possible. Maybe you are forgetting to press circle a second time or something since your thumb is already lingering on the same button?
I'll keep trying to do it, thanks man.

I can do down 4 and down 3 close gorund skull just fine oddly enough. I got it once or twice with forward 4, I'll keep at it :). Maybe I'm not tapping it right, but I thought I was lol.

NKZero

Noob
I'll keep trying to do it, thanks man.

I can do down 4 and down 3 close gorund skull just fine oddly enough. I got it once or twice with forward 4, I'll keep at it :). Maybe I'm not tapping it right, but I thought I was lol.
Oh if you are getting D4-ground skull then it isn't the double press issue.

Btw never do D3/D1-ground skull. That can be interrupted. D4/F4-ground skull cannot hence why you use them. I really cannot identify the problem but yeah keep practicing and the issue will disappear.

Anyways I use to practice F4-ground skull across the entire screen in training mode and the problem I initially had was actually linking the next F4 after ground skull. I would either do an UF4 (sharp jump kick) or a DF4 (D4). Once I "told" my fingers to let go quickly and then re-press F4 I did it 100% from then on. I mean surely if you just press F4-ground skull now you could do it no? At least once?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Probably just need to tighten your muscle memory, but you use a Playstation pad right? The separation on the D-pad makes it a hell of a lot more susceptible to knock left or right in between by accident and get the inevitable mid/far GS. Be cautious doing it too fast because it might be negative edge that's triggering the wrong GS. I can't stress enough how many more characters I would play if I had a 360 stick or a stick that works on all systems.

Granted, I'm fairly sure Detroit uses a PS pad and maybe he can offer some execution tips..

DetroitBalln - ?

Espio

Kokomo
Oh if you are getting D4-ground skull then it isn't the double press issue.

Btw never do D3/D1-ground skull. That can be interrupted. D4/F4-ground skull cannot hence why you use them. I really cannot identify the problem but yeah keep practicing and the issue will disappear.

Anyways I use to practice F4-ground skull across the entire screen in training mode and the problem I initially had was actually linking the next F4 after ground skull. I would either do an UF4 (sharp jump kick) or a DF4 (D4). Once I "told" my fingers to let go quickly and then re-press F4 I did it 100% from then on. I mean surely if you just press F4-ground skull now you could do it no? At least once?
Yeah, that's why I don't get it, I thought it was the double button pressed too until I did down 4 gun skull 98% of the time lol.

Removing down 3 from my pressure, good info, thanks :). I'm just tinkering right now.

I'm sure following up with forward 4 is a bit tricky too at the onset, that should be fun when I get there haha.

I can do it now...it's just not consistent, it's like 3 out of 10 times, which is not cool or classy like Shang Tsung should be when used haha.

My advice is:

Pick Kuh-Bawl!

I only play characters with style and class, Shang has it, Kabal does not:p.

Probably just need to tighten your muscle memory, but you use a Playstation pad right? The separation on the D-pad makes it a hell of a lot more susceptible to knock left or right in between by accident and get the inevitable mid/far GS. Be cautious doing it too fast because it might be negative edge that's triggering the wrong GS. I can't stress enough how many more characters I would play if I had a 360 stick or a stick that works on all systems.

Granted, I'm fairly sure Detroit uses a PS pad and maybe he can offer some execution tips..

DetroitBalln - ?
Weirdly enough I keep getting the alternative ground skulls and yes I play on PS2 pad. It probably is negative edge, I'm trying to slow it down, but I'm still looking for the right rhythm

The pad on Xbox360 isn't divided right, it's just one big square?

This is the first instance I've truly struggled learning something in the game...gun cancels and levi cancels, which seem like they'd be harder I get all the time among other things, it's probably just the negative edge like you mentioned.

Thanks for all your help :).

peachyO

Noob
Yeah, that's why I don't get it, I thought it was the double button pressed too until I did down 4 gun skull 98% of the time lol.

Removing down 3 from my pressure, good info, thanks :). I'm just tinkering right now.

I'm sure following up with forward 4 is a bit tricky too at the onset, that should be fun when I get there haha.

I can do it now...it's just not consistent, it's like 3 out of 10 times, which is not cool or classy like Shang Tsung should be when used haha.

I only play characters with style and class, Shang has it, Kabal does not:p.
when did u pick up shang, boo? :D he's my #2 behind sheeva/sindel. btw it's in the speed of your button presses; slow it down and see if it works. i used to have the same problem. fingers were too damn fast!

Espio

Kokomo
STRYKIE NKZero it appears slowing down the inputs has helped I'm getting it 50% of the time now instead of 30% lol. So that was the ticket, thanks to everyone for their help <3.

when did u pick up shang, boo? :D he's my #2 behind sheeva/sindel. btw it's in the speed of your button presses; slow it down and see if it works. i used to have the same problem. fingers were too damn fast!
I did what you and Chongo did where I let the community pick my character to main for a week although I used to play Shang Tsung casually since release.

I didn't know you played Shang Tsung, I want to fight this Shang lol :D. This is helpful advice and what was the problem, my success ratio has been increasing since I slowed it down, it's quite an awkward input, like down 4 gun cancel is haha.

peachyO

Noob
STRYKIE NKZero it appears slowing down the inputs has helped I'm getting it 50% of the time now instead of 30% lol. So that was the ticket, thanks to everyone for their help <3.

I did what you and Chongo did where I let the community pick my character to main for a week although I used to play Shang Tsung casually since release.

I didn't know you played Shang Tsung, I want to fight this Shang lol :D. This is helpful advice and what was the problem, my success ratio has been increasing since I slowed it down, it's quite an awkward input, like down 4 gun cancel is haha.
aw too bad i wasn't online when you did that, but i would have picked shang or quan for you anyway lol. yeah, he and quan would be my mains if i weren't in a polygamous marriage to my two ladies. my back-ups are kitana, baraka, jade, mileena. skarlet is fast on the way as well. i am really liking kano and will retain him. i have a passable reptile and smoke also, and am in the process of leveling up with them.

yay more shang love

i use a ps2 pad and to do it i just do f4, d,u. just takes a bit of practice. i used to sit in training mode and try to do it wall to wall until i could, the same way i got 2ndc down.

the follow up f4 you just kinda dash into f4 around the frames when the first skull is above his head. i still mess up the second (or third, fourth, fifth...) skull sometimes, but only when i'm standing on the right... that annoys me -_-

also, i can't do shit on the 360 pad. dat shit sux

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
STB Espio - Yeah you can pretty much so you can just slide the input in on the 360's D-pad, but it's so prone to input errors when you actually want to apply the negative edge because of the controller's ergonomics all round, in that respect I'd recommend the Saturn pad but again, it's a headache trying to get it to work on the 360 lol. As I said, just keep grinding it, Rome wasn't built overnight.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Great Shangs will laugh at me for this, but I cannot for the life of me get forward close ground skull to come out...I don't get it. I get forward 4 and the other ground skulls to come out easily.

I can do Sindel's levi cancels and Stryker's cancels fine, but don't get what I'm doing wrong with this and it's probably super obvious, I'm sure it's a timing issue.

I have the same problem.

D4 CGS is a lot easier... but not as good obviously. lol

EDIT: OH and don't remove D3 from your pressure with shang... that's his best poke and it guarantees the F4 CGS, I believe.

Espio

Kokomo
Gun Skull? What, did Stryker and Shang Tsung fuse or something? lol...
omg fml I clearly play too much Stryker:oops:.

STB Espio this may or may not help but i input it like im doin a sideways soul steal lol ... it makes sense in my head !!
This sounds brillaint, I'll mess around with this lol.

aw too bad i wasn't online when you did that, but i would have picked shang or quan for you anyway lol. yeah, he and quan would be my mains if i weren't in a polygamous marriage to my two ladies. my back-ups are kitana, baraka, jade, mileena. skarlet is fast on the way as well. i am really liking kano and will retain him. i have a passable reptile and smoke also, and am in the process of leveling up with them.
lol that's a relief, I like both of them, I was thankful I didn't get any non-classy characters :).

Glad you seemed to have taken a liking to Kano, he's a really, really fun character. I picked him up during the big freak out period lol.

I have the same problem.

D4 CGS is a lot easier... but not as good obviously. lol

EDIT: OH and don't remove D3 from your pressure with shang... that's his best poke and it guarantees the F4 CGS, I believe.
LOL at least I'm not alone in having problems doing this haha.

I meant removing down 3 into ground skull, Shang Tsung's down 3 is amazing, so I wouldn't get rid of that ever. I suppose I wasn't as clear as I could of been on that.

yay more shang love

i use a ps2 pad and to do it i just do f4, d,u. just takes a bit of practice. i used to sit in training mode and try to do it wall to wall until i could, the same way i got 2ndc down.

the follow up f4 you just kinda dash into f4 around the frames when the first skull is above his head. i still mess up the second (or third, fourth, fifth...) skull sometimes, but only when i'm standing on the right... that annoys me -_-

also, i can't do shit on the 360 pad. dat shit sux
I know right, Shang= <3. I'll try that one too.

It seems like a lot of people struggle with inputs if it's not on their comfort zone starting side.

Yeah, I won't be getting the 360 pad either..I'll learn it on my PS2 pad haha.

STB Espio - Yeah you can pretty much so you can just slide the input in on the 360's D-pad, but it's so prone to input errors when you actually want to apply the negative edge because of the controller's ergonomics all round, in that respect I'd recommend the Saturn pad but again, it's a headache trying to get it to work on the 360 lol. As I said, just keep grinding it, Rome wasn't built overnight.
Thanks man, I'll probably just grind it out on the PS2 pad for now, especially since I prefer it for everything else.

LolingOctopus

Modest and humble genitalia destroyer

It sounds weird, but when I do it I keep pressing forward as well as down up. For some reason I feel it works much better!

edit: F4 (keep holding F while doing D-U after it to buffer your special move) xx closeskull

LEGEND

YES!
OH and don't remove D3 from your pressure with shang... that's his best poke and it guarantees the F4 CGS, I believe.
Lately i feel as though D3 may not be as good as D1 for countering an escape From F4-cGS pressure

First off, D3 wiffs under Jump outs. Which could or could not be a bad thing if your opponent sees that as a way out since F4-cGS will punish them for that. Compare this to D1 catching jump outs for a combo to begin with. . .

Secondly, Unless your opponent can consistently punish D1s on block a bad counter poke (D1 or D3) have the same negative cause both mean your losing pressure and are going to have to deal with your opponents'

And for me personally, D1-Ex SS is much easier to do than D3- Ex SS
-

So all in all i think its a choice we are going to have to make based off our opponents abilities and tendencies, Rather than a general Pressure System

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Pffff What's F+4 GS? But seriously, Shang's pressure is ALL about reads. D+1 is probably one of your safer options because it is hard to punish with most characters. The problem is that it is low risk, low reward. There really isn't enough advantage to follow up with more pressure afterwards, which is why I go with F+4 again if I read a jump (F+4 covers a jump and blocking). The future in ST pressure has to do with the SS though (think Kitana spacing setups), in conjuction with F+4 GS pressure.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Lately i feel as though D3 may not be as good as D1 for countering an escape From F4-cGS pressure

First off, D3 wiffs under Jump outs. Which could or could not be a bad thing if your opponent sees that as a way out since F4-cGS will punish them for that. Compare this to D1 catching jump outs for a combo to begin with. . .

Secondly, Unless your opponent can consistently punish D1s on block a bad counter poke (D1 or D3) have the same negative cause both mean your losing pressure and are going to have to deal with your opponents'

And for me personally, D1-Ex SS is much easier to do than D3- Ex SS
-

So all in all i think its a choice we are going to have to make based off our opponents abilities and tendencies, Rather than a general Pressure System
Hmm, will keep that in mind... I had no idea since I don't main Shang. (I do this week though! lol) Have just always heard D3 guarantees the F4 CGS. lol

LEGEND

YES!
The future in ST pressure has to do with the SS though (think Kitana spacing setups), in conjuction with F+4 GS pressure.
i've been trying to do wiff poke setups but everyone seems to know its coming. In the situations where its possible to punish a wiffed poke my opp doesn't have a reason not to just walk back, Block or jump

Though Certain players that don't know the MU might get got off guard
-

Would like to hear what setups you are using if you are having consistent success with them