What's new

Question - Shinnok NJP spam online

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
so we all know that online is such an unknown, ugly and scary place, an alternate dimension where standard rules don't count and there are no certainties, altho I mostly play there and I'm scared that even offline I might have some issues.

Kung Jin and Takeda njps are those who gave me problems, but I belive that even F/T's might also be a annoying even tho it never happened to me. I find myself blocking Kung Jin's b12 (the low, not sure if those are the right buttons, I don't play Jin) and get punished for trying to press buttons, or maybe I saw it coming, block and another follows it up. Takeda's air teleport followed by njp gives me the same issue.

so besides "get gud scrub" (I'm really trying, I swear), do you guys have any tips for me?

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
I feel like Ermac has taken the throne as the most cancerous character online.

Are these people just njping over and over again? If so you could back up right out of it's range and mimicry.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I feel like Ermac has taken the throne as the most cancerous character online.

Are these people just njping over and over again? If so you could back up right out of it's range and mimicry.
to be honest people did b2b njps only in the corner to me, so the backdash isn't an option.

Time a forward jump on your opponents whiffed NJP.

In F.T case, you can block, run forward, and standing 1 should catch them.

Or just throw out a projectile.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
The NJP's and AA in this game are serious JOKE. This is part of this game I will never truly accept or understand.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Depends who you play, different characters have very different answers.
my main is shinnok, but I play a lot of chars. isn't there something universal?

Time a forward jump on your opponents whiffed NJP.

In F.T case, you can block, run forward, and standing 1 should catch them.

Or just throw out a projectile.
if I'm far, yes. but what if I just blocked a string and I'm just in front of them?

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I've seen F/T players do NJPs upwards of five times in a row while I just stand there watching the circus.
Do they not know it's -20 on block?
All NJP are plus when done on the way down, close to the ground.

I don't know how plus is Ferra-Torr, but Raiden is around +10, Shinnok too.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Takeda is best at just outside sweep range. Kung Jin is best at just inside sweep range. Avoid these ranges, force them to approach, then use their approach to slip these ranges. I used to have trouble with these two as well, but no longer...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Take the word 'spam' out of your vocabulary when it comes to fighting games. Only scrubs use that term. If your opponent repeatedly uses the same move, it's because you're not adapting to it so there's no reason for them to stop.
Lol, except that online, there really are some people who are truly spamming moves and not waiting or watching for any kind of adaption. I'd say it's true against higher-level opponents, but on the intarwebs there are plenty of people who are actually mashing moves out without thinking at all. And that's a quality that can be exploited.

In any case, the ol' walk back on a read and trip guard has worked wonders for me.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
I can only help for Kung Jin (main), I play a little Shinnok but I don't have enough mu xp to give advice for Takeda or F/T.
First:
- what @Braindead said. Poke him out of the jump, into combo of choice.

- If you're close, you can also jump forward on reaction (just don't get hit by the head). You can hit him with j1 or j2 into combo; if you empty forward jump, you'll jump over KJ

- Another good strat against Kung Jin is to hit him and inflict a decent amount of damage, ending combo's in hellsparks. From there on you can choose to zone, with minor differences between KJ's variations. Some strats that work well and annoy me are:
*Bojitsu: keep him 3/4 to fullscreen, once you have enough meter you can ex scoop him into combo if he even tries to shoot an arrow - Bo KJ has a hard time if he's fullscreen and needs to get in.
*Ancestral/Shaolin: Keep him in behind the 2nd hellspark and 3/4, he can't NJP at this distance, if he does (I'm that stupid sometimes...all the time :) ):
-just trip guard with f22, on hit it's full combo, on block and w meter you can do f22 into hellsparks ex. pressure
-jump 1 or 2 if you read a NJP
-try not to have him fullscreen if he has meter, he can lowprofile blast with ex chackram or trade with a magic arrow

-Just use training mode and record a dummy, best way to test & train your strats & to develop muscle memory.

-Loose that musscle memory playing online and start doing stupid stuff again, on- and offline :DOGE

Last edited:

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Take the word 'spam' out of your vocabulary when it comes to fighting games. Only scrubs use that term. If your opponent repeatedly uses the same move, it's because you're not adapting to it so there's no reason for them to stop.
I think that the term spam can still be used, but it will always be punished by good players. Players that spam projectiles, jumps or pokes are just digging their own grave imo.
Except online :DOGE

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
The point is, you should never complain about "spam."

Actual spam is a free win.

Repeating moves until you adjust is either smart play, or your opponent deliberately trying to teach you something.

Either way, it's not something to complain about. Your opponent just showed you exactly where you need to level up. That's pretty much the best thing that could happen.

STB Damashi

SmallBurntEarths
What I usually do after a Takeda air-teleports is crouch and Uppercut on reaction. For F/T I usually press F2 in order to catch them while they are leaving the ground, which I then follow up with Hell Sparks (MB 3rd Hell Spark), Dash, NJP, F3~Mimicry (with Bone Shaper press F2, follow up with F4~Hell Sparks (MB 1st Hell Spark), Jump Forward Punch, F221+3~BF+1). Kung Jins are annoying as heck to me, I usually try to stay out of their range of attacks and use Hell Sparks to get them impatient, as well as annoy them with the Air-Tricky Portal in order to get them to crack, or D1 to interrupt their start-ups