What's new

Nintendo Switch details from PAX East

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Hey guys,

So I was able to get my hands on the Switch version of MK11 this past weekend at PAX after waiting in a line for about 45 mins. Albeit a very brief experience (less than 10 minutes), I did take a couple notes.

First off, visually it's a lot more impressive than I thought it would be. It's clearly not as beautiful as the console versions, but it's absolutely better looking than I thought it would be.

This build had the following characters playable:

Scorpion

Jade

Baraka

Geras

Kollector

Sub Zero

Johnny Cage

There was also a new stage available, which was called the Kytinn Hive. Clearly D'Vorah's stage. If you have Trypophobia, this is NOT the stage for you. It's really gross with a bunch of eggs and insect hives everywhere. I can't honestly remember what the interactables were, as I was more interested in trying out some time freeze Geras combos.

Overall, the gameplay seemed solid. It's very awkward to play this game with the button d-pad the switch has, but even after the short time I had with it, it still felt ok and I'm sure it's something people could get used to.

If you have a Switch, I think it's a no-brainer to pick up the game. Who doesn't want to play MK on the shitter or at work?

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Hey guys,

So I was able to get my hands on the Switch version of MK11 this past weekend at PAX after waiting in a line for about 45 mins. Albeit a very brief experience (less than 10 minutes), I did take a couple notes.

First off, visually it's a lot more impressive than I thought it would be. It's clearly not as beautiful as the console versions, but it's absolutely better looking than I thought it would be.

This build had the following characters playable:

Scorpion

Jade

Baraka

Geras

Kollector

Sub Zero

Johnny Cage

There was also a new stage available, which was called the Kytinn Hive. Clearly D'Vorah's stage. If you have Trypophobia, this is NOT the stage for you. It's really gross with a bunch of eggs and insect hives everywhere. I can't honestly remember what the interactables were, as I was more interested in trying out some time freeze Geras combos.

Overall, the gameplay seemed solid. It's very awkward to play this game with the button d-pad the switch has, but even after the short time I had with it, it still felt ok and I'm sure it's something people could get used to.

If you have a Switch, I think it's a no-brainer to pick up the game. Who doesn't want to play MK on the shitter or at work?
Luckily there’s controllers you can get for the Switch.

This is great news, definitely getting a copy on the switch to play at work and while traveling!

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
Luckily there’s controllers you can get for the Switch.

This is great news, definitely getting a copy on the switch to play at work and while traveling!
I have a pro controller, usually use it when im playing smash ultimate

Ill def pick up mk11 on the switch in the future, dont know when

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I think it's really good to hear that the Switch version is looking good so far. It's a platform well worth investing on i think

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You just got me right in the feels. I now need a Nintendo switch cause being on the shitter is my favorite place next to being in my bed sleeping.

Can you stream on Twitch with the switch?

#ShitterStream

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
If you didn't take pictures of Kollector I'm not gonna believe anything you write today.
There was a Nintendo rep right over my shoulder the entire time. They definitely weren't allowing pictures.

It was set up to play against the AI so it allowed you to select your opponent.

Kollector does indeed use all 4 arms, but they're mostly to wield various weapons. I played against a varation called "Archivist" where he had a few recognizable weapons from characters not in MK11. Here's what I noticed in the one match I was able to get in:

He has one of Takeda's light sabers. He had an upward strike with it that looks like it would be a good anti-air.

During one of his throws, he pushes you down to your knees with his top arms and then impales you with two blades that appeared to be like Quan Chi's but I could be wrong.

He doesn't really appear to be Shokan, aside from the 4 arms. He moves more like Spiral from MVC2 with his arms constantly in motion around his body.

His uppercut was fucking ridiculous. He uses all 4 arms and it appeared to have a hitbox that covered nearly 1/3 of the screen away. I jumped in with a Geras JK and it blasted me out of the air.

I was basically just letting him beat me up to see more of his moves but obviously being the AI, it didn't do much. The few strings he did looked incredible. The way they flow with his arms everywhere looked great, and I'm sure they'll be even better looking when we see them on the consoles.

Honestly, he didn't seem finished. I assume they threw him on this build so the people attending PAX had something special to see that no one else had seen to this point.

Matt Burke was there from the Kombat Kast and I asked him when Kollector would be on the Kast but he said he wasn't allowed to say, understandably.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
There was a Nintendo rep right over my shoulder the entire time. They definitely weren't allowing pictures.

Kollector does indeed use all 4 arms, but they're mostly to wield various weapons. I played against a varation called "Archivist" where he had a few recognizable weapons from characters not in MK11. Here's what I noticed in the one match I was able to get in:

He has one of Takeda's light sabers. He had an upward strike with it that looks like it would be a good anti-air.

During one of his throws, he pushes you down to your knees with his top arms and then impales you with two blades that appeared to be like Quan Chi's but I could be wrong.

He doesn't really appear to be Shokan, aside from the 4 arms. He moves more like Spiral from MVC2 with his arms constantly in motion around his body.

His uppercut was fucking ridiculous. He uses all 4 arms and it appeared to have a hitbox that covered nearly 1/3 of the screen away. I jumped in with a Geras JK and it blasted me out of the air.

I was basically just letting him beat me up to see more of his moves but obviously being the AI, it didn't do much. The few strings he did looked incredible. The way they flow with his arms everywhere looked great, and I'm sure they'll be even better looking when we see them on the consoles.

Honestly, he didn't seem finished. I assume they threw him on this build so the people attending PAX had something special to see that no one else had seen to this point.

Matt Burke was there from the Kombat Kast and I asked him when Kollector would be on the Kast but he said he wasn't allowed to say, understandably.
Every thing we hoped for from the Kollector is true

Our four armed, weapon wielding messiah is here

Also, with how strong jade`s uppercut is, Kollectors sounds ridiculous

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I am hype for the Switch version so I'm glad to hear this. The problem I have is I don't know if the game will get support for the full cycle of the game... much like the WiiU version of IGAU, it kinda died after Zod came out.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I am hype for the Switch version so I'm glad to hear this. The problem I have is I don't know if the game will get support for the full cycle of the game... much like the WiiU version of IGAU, it kinda died after Zod came out.
I mean, you have to consider the fact the Wii U was a pretty unpopular console to begin with lol. Switch has like 2.3x the userbase right now so MK11 is bound to fare way better.