What's new

Nightwolf's Shoulder KB Needs A Rework

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
I think if your using shoulder as a neutral tool it becomes something that's staggerably especially against zoners. Its probably not very effective at his most effective range, it's a good option. I wouldn't call it useless.

What should frustrate you is the fact that NW can amp shoulder on whiff but shao cant.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
It's not bad. Just cos it wont work on the highest level of players doesn't make something useless. It will have a use for the other 99% of the casual player base (that includes the TYM users) who will get caught out by this.

DeftMonk

Noob
It is a giant pos. But news flash: its not the only pos KB in the game. This game has dozens of those.
Edit: Just noticed someone above me said exact same thing lol. I hope one day they change the crappy useless KBs but it reminds me a bit of tekken where some characters have random ass completely useless moves they might just leave it that way (which sucks because KB are a big part of mk11 where as the stupid moves in tekken are more like taunts almost).

Last edited:

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
It is a giant pos. But news flash: its not the only pos KB in the game. This game has dozens of those.
Edit: Just noticed someone above me said exact same thing lol.
Kanos overhead boot. Nearly impossible to land on anyone. Because who TF blocks after the first hit

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It’s hard to ask for KB reworks for Nightwolf when he has TWO throw KB’s. But his KB’s outside of the throws definitely are weird. I didn’t watch your video, but my suggestion would be a counterhit shoulder to KB if ampilfied.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
It's not bad. Just cos it wont work on the highest level of players doesn't make something useless. It will have a use for the other 99% of the casual player base (that includes the TYM users) who will get caught out by this.
If it becomes useless as you and your opponents become better at the game then that is in fact pretty damn bad.

However, this is one of many KBs that could do with being reworked.

There is a lot of disparity between characters and their Krushing Blows. I appreciate the attempt at making the KBs idiosyncratic, but some of the KBs are just flat out useless and it actually creates a genuine lack of variety within the KB mechanic.

I hope a lot more KBs get retuned and their don't even need to lead into massive damage or advantage on hit but it would be nice to see them become an option enjoyed by most of the cast and not just some.

colby4898

If it becomes useless as you and your opponents become better at the game then that is in fact pretty damn bad.

However, this is one of many KBs that could do with being reworked.

There is a lot of disparity between characters and their Krushing Blows. I appreciate the attempt at making the KBs idiosyncratic, but some of the KBs are just flat out useless and it actually creates a genuine lack of variety within the KB mechanic.

I hope a lot more KBs get retuned and their don't even need to lead into massive damage or advantage on hit but it would be nice to see them become an option enjoyed by most of the cast and not just some.
My point is just cos it's not something that every player will get hit by it doesn't make it useless. Casual players will get hit by this. Not everything in this game has to be catered to the top 100 players.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
It’s hard to ask for KB reworks for Nightwolf when he has TWO throw KB’s. But his KB’s outside of the throws definitely are weird. I didn’t watch your video, but my suggestion would be a counterhit shoulder to KB if ampilfied.
I said max range hit in this video.

Chernyy Volk

My point is just cos it's not something that every player will get hit by it doesn't make it useless. Casual players will get hit by this. Not everything in this game has to be catered to the top 100 players.
This game should be 100% catered to the competitive players. That benefits the casuals too whether they see it or not.

Chernyy Volk

I think if your using shoulder as a neutral tool it becomes something that's staggerably especially against zoners. Its probably not very effective at his most effective range, it's a good option. I wouldn't call it useless.

What should frustrate you is the fact that NW can amp shoulder on whiff but shao cant.
I proved in this video it's not staggerable. This shit is mad whiff punishable on reaction and there's no mind game on block.

colby4898

This game should be 100% catered to the competitive players. That benefits the casuals too whether they see it or not.
I disagree. I think they tried to do that too much with this game and it's made it significantly less enjoyable to play

Its not great for just kinda tossing out there. But I've landed it a few times catching people trying to wake up buttons. Mostly, I just forget about it. With Wolf's good as fuck neutral, two throw KBs, universal D2 KB, 3,1,2 KB, and the 2,2,1+3 KB (I play Ancestral) I feel like he has plenty. There are definitely characters with shittier KBs out there. I think Wolf is completely fine.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Say it with me, for the peeps in the back:

Not every character needs viable KBs, good hit confirmable strings, + on block strings, great staggers, overhead/low combo starters. Work with what you got.

NW is definitely viable. Stop.

DeftMonk

Noob

Not every character needs viable KBs, good hit confirmable strings, + on block strings, great staggers, overhead/low combo starters. Work with what you got.

i agree with all ur points especially nw is viable but I don’t agree with design decisions making KB that are dumb as hell. Why even put it in the game then? One thing I’ve noticed about the variation system in this game is that chars like liu who have KBs that are easily accessible makes it easy to make viable variations. If your character has a bunch of poop ass kbs except one hidden into a specific variation well then it’s obviously going to be the superior one.

Someone above mentioned this game was too catered to competitive scene and that’s why it isn’t fun... I feel this game has its flaws but, it’s an extremely accessible game with pretty high skill ceiling. We can bitch all we want but It’s nowhere near as deep or hard as guilty gear yet the neutch is way deeper than the mkx 50/50 fest.

Chernyy Volk

Every character should 100% have viable KB's. It's not even the same thing as the rest of what you listed. This is a KEY, DEFINING, BOX ADVERTISED FEATURE OF THE FUCKING GAME. For some characters to have ones they can basically never use or achieve is straight up lunacy and it detracts from the gameplay experience itself.

Chernyy Volk

I disagree. I think they tried to do that too much with this game and it's made it significantly less enjoyable to play
I agree they tried too hard to cater to casual and competitive players both. That's why the focus should be shifted. The casual content is there, the gameplay itself should be removed from that consideration.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Every character should 100% have viable KB's. It's not even the same thing as the rest of what you listed. This is a KEY, DEFINING, BOX ADVERTISED FEATURE OF THE FUCKING GAME. For some characters to have ones they can basically never use or achieve is straight up lunacy and it detracts from the gameplay experience itself.
Take Johnny, for example, his KBs make no sense and still, he's great. If you're gonna scrutinize every single move in the game you're gonna find a lot of things that should be fixed sure, but there goes your balance. If they gave him a hard to get KB, it's cause he didn't need it. Then again, Liu has throw KBs on both his throws so who knows really.