What's new

Nightwolf Tournament/High level play Videos?

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I am interested in Nightwolf as a character. People tend to throw him around as top A or as low S tier in terms of rankings. However, it seems that nobody plays the guy. I cant find any videos of high level play.

I would really appreciate it if you nightwolfers could post some videos.

Pilamaya.

leek

Noob
hold on my main. I'll edit one in :3

EDIT: sorry man... I could've sworn I saw someone playing Nightwolf at high level/tourney :/ guess not. Sorry for hyping..

JrK

Probably Drunk
I too would like to see these mythical nightwolf vids! (Although the tournament vid where the kid rage quit was win...)

leek

Noob
Yeah sorry man I can't find anything either :( He's really impressive though.. shuts down anything pretty much.

Albo

Noob
there's bound to be some nightwolf gameplay tomorrow at evo if not then we can look forward to tom brady using him in future events after evo.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Yeah sorry man I can't find anything either :( He's really impressive though.. shuts down anything pretty much.
Its cool. Can you tell me your general strategy with him though?

When I play with a new guy I tend to be very cautious and timid and drop that epic combo i did in the training mode 5999 times. So I just tend to shoulder a lot and lightning. Its cheap.

My BnB was 1,2,2 hatchet, hatchet, dash 2, hatchet, shoulder. I am thinking of replacing the start to f3,1 though.

leek

Noob
Well I play Nightwolf 1 of 2 ways, depending on who it's up against.

Stay on the outside and reflect any projectiles/arrow trade/EX-Shoulder(has armor, second hit is overhead :D ) or lightning if you've conditioned them to crouch block with shoulders and arrows.

Buuuuut for the most part it's basically jump distance away, and yeah you should get used to F+3,1 as it's faster to do consecutively and feels like 1,2,2 is slower. Generally, my bnb is 1,2,2 hatchet, hatchet, dash 1 dash 1 shoulder, but you can interchange with F+3,1 hatchet 11 hatchet dash 1 shoulder I believe. Don't know the percentages, this is off the top of my head x.x but anyways, I usually will throw out F+3,1 and try to hit confirm the hatchet, because the string is slow once it hits, if you understand what i mean.

If the opponent is blocking a lot from random shoulders(which you should throw out if the opponent is standing at about halfscreen or less,) then you can lightning or dash up for a throw which i believe gives a free lightning right after anyways.

Enough rambling though, try to make sense of it and ask about what I said accordingly, it's 7:30am here and I've been up all night, so I understand if I'm not making sense lol. -.-

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
Couple of notes:

- F3... Use it, love it, spam it. It is that good!

- The highest damage mid screen bnb that doesn't us any bar found thus far is:
(%37 from a F31 starter)
Hatchet, B2, Hatchet, Dash~1, Dash~122~Shoulder

- Make them respect the shoulder but don't spam it, or else you'll be eating low attacks and uppercuts all day.

- Nightwolf makes a surprisingly good zoner (I think cause a lot of people don't expect it), I wouldn't recommend making it your primary strategy but switching to a zoner style mid fight totally fucks with the opponents head and works great to mess with the flow of the fight. He's also a fantastic anti-zoner.

His main bnb is anything into hatchet,b+2, hatchet, dash,1,dash,1(optional), dash, 122 shoulder for 37-39%. I usually just do it with just one dash 1. My general strategy is to condition them to want to punish my shoulder, then start lightning, random hatchet etc. I normally rush down with him and use his overhead and spirit tracks combo to mix it up. Arrows are good and ALWAYS punish a jump in with hatchet, they will be scared to jump in and you can work from there.

leek

Noob
His main bnb is anything into hatchet,b+2, hatchet, dash,1,dash,1(optional), dash, 122 shoulder for 37-39%. I usually just do it with just one dash 1. My general strategy is to condition them to want to punish my shoulder, then start lightning, random hatchet etc. I normally rush down with him and use his overhead and spirit tracks combo to mix it up. Arrows are good and ALWAYS punish a jump in with hatchet, they will be scared to jump in and you can work from there.
this.

I main NW and find his hatchet to bit a bit slow for air punish unless you expect a jump. Maybe its just me. But it seems if you catch anyone near the halfway point of a jump, the hatchet has too many start up frames to punish properly. But, when you do catch them, I find doing an immediate Jump up 1 to bounce them off the ground is a good start up. then go into a BnB combo to follow-

Another good trap I saw online was shooting an arrow cross screen ( if the person is running away) and do a lightning while they are block the arrow. This will get some damage and also keep them from staying in one spot and blocking. Next time you shoot an arrow, they will try to jump over it. Leaving them open for you to rush in.

I dont have a capture machine, but am working on a video the old fashioned way. Ill try and get it done asap and upload so we have some more nightwolf videos on here

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Yeah I dont understand the high placement of this character. Everyone I play just spams shoulder charge, lightning and arrows. Every now and then they come in with Forward+3, but shit lotta good it does against any character. Why hasnt REO picked this guy up yet?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
U really don't understand his placement? Nw is a punish character...he can punish everyone in the game for 35+% and can zone them out really well. He has trouble against characters he can't keep away like kitana, reptile, Kung Lao, and kabal but he is lightyears ahead of most other characters.

at mid screen no one can do anything for fear of shoulder...either they eat a shoulder or they jump and get the uppercut. If they crouch no block then it's dash in f3 or dash in hatchet if they jump.

At full screen if they crouch block you get a free eh lightning. If you end any combo in shoulder, you get eh lightning trap...if they are thinking about eh lightning trap theory will wakeup attack which you can bait or punish...

If you land a 40% bnb, end with shoulder, land eh lightning into b2 hatchet ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder you have taken 70-80% of their life. And because you ended with shoulder, they are worried about eh lightning coming out again...if it hits you win.

They become forced to use breakers and become careless...when they are careless you punish. Did you watch me at evo?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
U really don't understand his placement? Nw is a punish character...he can punish everyone in the game for 35+% and can zone them out really well. He has trouble against characters he can't keep away like kitana, reptile, Kung Lao, and kabal but he is lightyears ahead of most other characters.

at mid screen no one can do anything for fear of shoulder...either they eat a shoulder or they jump and get the uppercut. If they crouch no block then it's dash in f3 or dash in hatchet if they jump.

At full screen if they crouch block you get a free eh lightning. If you end any combo in shoulder, you get eh lightning trap...if they are thinking about eh lightning trap theory will wakeup attack which you can bait or punish...

If you land a 40% bnb, end with shoulder, land eh lightning into b2 hatchet ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder you have taken 70-80% of their life. And because you ended with shoulder, they are worried about eh lightning coming out again...if it hits you win.

They become forced to use breakers and become careless...when they are careless you punish. Did you watch me at evo?
I get that he's good with punishment. It's just that I've never really played a badass NW. Anytime I ever use my Johnny Cage against one I never lose. And lately no one uses him. So how the heck do we really know if this character is good? I tried picking him up myself, but he has negative edge issues...screw that.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I get that he's good with punishment. It's just that I've never really played a badass NW. Anytime I ever use my Johnny Cage against one I never lose. And lately no one uses him. So how the heck do we really know if this character is good? I tried picking him up myself, but he has negative edge issues...screw that.
NW online is low tier

NW offline top 5

iif you're judging purely based on online you're misjudging - come to a tourney and play a high level NW and you'll instantly want to learn him.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
NW online is low tier

NW offline top 5

iif you're judging purely based on online you're misjudging - come to a tourney and play a high level NW and you'll instantly want to learn him.
You probably hit the nail on the head. I've played a few tourneys and a bunch of offline but only played one NW, and he was no good. I've really only played him online. You just dont see him much.

Only nightwolf vid I could find from evo.
Its funny how this video doesnt showcase much other than his shoulder charge. I use NW and find his Shoulder to be good, but, there is much more to him that makes him a good player. I think he is one of the most balanced characters in game. He can be aggressive or zone. Just wish his low F+3 actually hit low though.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
well if they're going to stand block the shoulder charge, there's no reason to not keep doing it. And yea, making F+3 hit low would break Nightwolf.

I'm fine with f3. I just wish NW had a better projectile. I think the arrows is the worse projectile in the game.
hm, his fireball just has other purpose, i mean the projektile has long startup, and it catches 90% of oponents trying to jump at u on wake up, 90% of the time when i land a Lightning or 2 in a row (lol) they will jump at u, if u time the projektile corect u catch them, and its very annoying(4 them) :p thats just one example!

on the other hand, his EX fireball is imho good!