What's new

Question Nightwings Character Trait too bad?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I was going to write something in response to that picture; but I don't what to say. Maybe I'll let Hollywood Dizzy handle this one.

Hmmm i dont even plan on playing Nightwing and to me the stance change trait is something that seems valuable. Its like two different people in one essentially which means you can adapt to situations easier. I mean i guess its a long animation but how many times do you really need to be changing stances anyway.. especially randomly Compared to Harley Quinns character trait his is amazing lol

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
It's this potential for flexibility that could make him hard to counterpick, and if your strategy isn't working you have the potential to download your opponent and attempt adjusting via a completely different playstyle. I mean, let alone the thought of how difficult it will be for many players to adjust to a completely different playstyle/hitbox/frame data mid-match. It's like I said, you could, best case scenario, have two great characters duct-taped together. A rushdown and a footsie fighter with their own strengths, weaknesses, and matchups. His Escrima could cover his bad staff matchups and vice versa.
This is what I'm really looking forward to. My character is harder to counter-pick against, and I can counter-pick on the fly simply by changing styles.

HMD

Noob
I just picked up Nightwing the other day... I don't even think switching from trait to trait is that bad because when you switch the moment where he does a pose is when you cancel it into a special possibly the the staff shock wave or when they're close you can use the QCB 3 His staff is really good for mix ups and is easy to land a 35% combo without meter I'll post a video later on today for you guys :)

From the demo I found that Wonder Woman's trait seemed terrible. Her lasso stance just felt like a better version of her Sword and Shield stance. Nightwing's seems like it might actually be good though. He's so much different in each stance, almost looks like a different character. I think just because of the difference in play styles in the stances it will end up being good.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
It's the middle of the night in Alberta, and I've been having strange dreams about Nightwing combos that end in stance changes, thereby preventing knockback/knockdown, and allowing me to continue with the pressure against opponents in a very aggressive rushdown style play.

I cannot wait to pick up a copy of this game. :p

I trust the game designers and play-testers to be bright enough to recognize that other characters get things like armor and healing, while NW gets a weapon change, and make it accordingly valuable. From what I've seen, and I admit to being a noob, is that bad vs. good MUs are the #1 factor in determining a character's worth. More specifically, lack of bad MUs is the most important factor in determining a character's worth. Kabal is #1 in MK9 since he has no bad MUs. In MK2, Mileena is #1, ranked higher than Jax b/c Jax has one bad MU (Mileena) and Mileena has none, although there is some debate over that. Collectively, they are top 2 b/c they don't get bodied by any other character with optimal play on both sides. The point is that versatility to minimize bad MUs appears to be the *most* important factor in a character's tournament viability. Thus, I think it might be easy to underrate a stance change Trait at first, but it might end up being the most valuable commodity.