What's new

Question New to Rain

Flagg

Noob
So i've started playing around with Rain in the lab, and I actually quite like the character. Played a few games online, mostly blown up but finding a few nice things with him.

Im just not sure im playing him the right way. He's quite unique in this, I just wonder what are some nice basics to learn. At the moment I seem to get his strings into lightning/roundhouse/water bubble muddled up.

P.S. his 4>>roundhouse is freaking amazing in this.

P.P.S his B23 has deceptive range and his 24 seems to have uncanny advantage.

P.P.P.S. i've been lamed out a couple of times tonight, as in, my opponent gets the life lead and...im kinda stuck chasing him all over the screen. Is this a weakness of Rain (chasing turtles)?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Mainly you need to get a couple things down. Rain is a lot about biding your time and seizing an opportunity to punish your opponent for the slightest mistake. Figure out the ranges for whiff punishing with both 4 RH and B2 1+2. This will help tons. Learn to armored dash/when to armor and how to get good damage while also setting up for repeated offense. His pressure is good but has a lot of holes but it mainly revovles around 4RH cancels and 43 cancels since other strings are slow and grant no advantage as well as his pokes being bad for offense. His pressure is also mainly about reading when they will try to get out. Try to let the RH go when you think they will get impatient.

P.P.P.S. i've been lamed out a couple of times tonight, as in, my opponent gets the life lead and...im kinda stuck chasing him all over the screen. Is this a weakness of Rain (chasing turtles)?
yup. rain's ranged game is ass. lightning is pretty terrible but you can get lucky with it and follow up with wbubble into pressure or a throw. teleport helps but it's super punishable. ex teleport isn't safe but it's useful to throw out if it evens out the life lead and makes your opponent come to you, not really though. rain just doesn't do good from far away.

Flagg

Noob
I really want to get good with Rain, but im awful at the moment.

Granted ive only been using him for a couple of days, but his standing normals "seem" slow or I just dont know the right punishers yet.

Also, is he one of those characters that suffers from online, in the same way that Jade and Skarlet does? Because I find with his more elaborate combos, it's quite easy to miss or drop.

I'm also finding I get negative edge with this guy....I go for a string into lightning or roundhouse and I sometimes teleport. I know that's on me, but I hate that aspect of the game. It's like with CSZ, you can hit 21 and just do the down forward motion at the end and voila, a ball will come out.

The reason I picked up Rain, is that he appears to have rush down similar to CSZ, whiff punishers similar to Kano, and damage like Ermac...these are all characters I use.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
If you wanna play Rain, the easiest, and best things to learn are the uppercut combos, RH pressure, and Armored dashes. Why is say there the easiest is because learning his footsies, pressure, and over all game takes time and experiences. Even though Rain is like Johnny Cage, You're not just gonnna get in with Rain, start going RH cancel crazy like it's f3 and win. to be good with Rain you HAVE to use all his tools, have good fundamentals, like Smarrgasm said about how whiff punishing is so important, and IMO be a tid bit risky.

hear are some good threads if you haven't read them yet

Combos : http://testyourmight.com/threads/complete-rain-combo-list.25851/

Guides : http://testyourmight.com/threads/rain-guide.6016/ http://testyourmight.com/threads/complete-guide-to-rain-by-mr-aquaman.25326/

This is the most Important thing to learn, Frame Data. : http://testyourmight.com/threads/rain-frame-data.8896/

also check out the Armored Specials thread, Smarrgesm's MU chart, and any other recent thread in the fourm, most of them have good information in them.

always feel free to PM me, Smarrgasm, Reno Racks, Aquaman, and I'm sure foxie grampa wouldn't mind help you either.

good luck making it Rain!

Glass Sword

Nobody
I don't play Rain, but I have played against Rain a lot so I can give you a few pointers.
As Rain you are a Tank you bleed armor your whole game is based around it. You want to make the opponent come to you since as you have already noticed you lack mobility. Don't rely on the teleport to get in since it is so punishable your opponent is going to have to be doing something that will give you enough time to recover. Once you get the life lead milk it once you have a bit of meter since you can run through your opponents counter offense.
To be good a Rain you are really just going to have to be really good at spacing and patience.
Also your pokes suck. Honestly if Rain had a top tier dash like Sonya and normal pokes he would be in the A tier with Kitana and Smoke.
Also 43 is your superior string for pressure since it has good cancel advantage and reach and speed. Another weird thing to keep in mind is b2 and its followups and 43 put you in the air so if you are facing a savvy opponent they will poke you out of your strings and anti-air you. Just don't use b2 point blank because you might be d1ed and end up knocked down or worse comboed.
A tip if you are having trouble with his combos is hold down buttons if you are getting the wrong special since that will prevent negative edge from happening.
Lighting trades well with most projectiles just don't trade with Cyrax. Against Smoke if he has the life lead the trade is not that bad since it will leave you close to him. If you trade against Scorpion he will tech roll away if I remember correctly. X Ray stuffs all projectiles so when you have that you can blow up pretty much anything your opponent can throw out on reaction.
Tic throws are also great with Rain out of round house pressure. Above all master the 50% meterless bnb from the jump in punch getting that sort of damage is a boon and you are going to need it.

Flagg

Noob
Thanks for all those pointers guys, I will also look at those links in a short while.

Yes, I really enjoy Rain and im slowly improving. His B2, 2+1 is amazing, a great whiff punisher, sets up a few things on hit, and is also a pretty good AA. I've noticed it also avoids some low hitting attacks!?

I am one of those players that I try to master one aspect of a character, bit by bit, till im comfortable before moving on. Like I have his 4>>round house down, and his B2, 1+2 into juggles down. Then of course I would try and move onto 43 roundhouse cancel pressure, armour pressure and so on. I like to develop characters slowly so I get comfortable with him.

I was looking at his frame data last night and noticed that his fastest standing normal is 3 at 9 frames?

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
Lightning/exlightning is your friend when your opponent is outside footsie range where your lightning isn't punishable. Also there is a new trick or tech I use to bait wakeup attacks in desperate situations:). Instead of ending combos with the aqua splash end with H20 boost> exSuperKick/RH cancel >free combo(if they wakeup)/throw/pressure. So its 1 bar for pressure or combo(if they are stupid).. If they catch on to this its all good cuz when you have meter you can bully them by canceling into normal superkick/RH into free pressure Lol.

Flagg

Noob
Glass_Sword, wow, your tip on holding down the button really helps. I guess you learn something new everyday. If I was on the right side, I was finding 43 into lightning impossible as I would always get teleport instead. But holding the button really helps. I also find with this I can time my dashes after uppercuts and specials much better. Thanks for that.

Rains jip, 43 lightning, uppercut, 43 bubble, 43B4 does a nice 45% and its pretty simple to execute.

Is there a tip to getting the perfect height/position on a bubble capture to land a perfect backward uppercut?

Also, something im sure is common knowledge, but with his round house cancels, you can dash back and forward out of them, but if you do one, hold it, and input a teleport, bubble or lightening, it comes straight out without dashing. Im sure most of you knew this?

For instance, bipolar_shango, I suppose you could 34, roundhouse hold, cancelled into ex lighening for free pressure? I know it wastes a bar, but its a good way to chip out or set up another possible combo?

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
Glass_Sword, wow, your tip on holding down the button really helps. I guess you learn something new everyday. If I was on the right side, I was finding 43 into lightning impossible as I would always get teleport instead. But holding the button really helps. I also find with this I can time my dashes after uppercuts and specials much better. Thanks for that.

Rains jip, 43 lightning, uppercut, 43 bubble, 43B4 does a nice 45% and its pretty simple to execute.

Is there a tip to getting the perfect height/position on a bubble capture to land a perfect backward uppercut?

Also, something im sure is common knowledge, but with his round house cancels, you can dash back and forward out of them, but if you do one, hold it, and input a teleport, bubble or lightening, it comes straight out without dashing. Im sure most of you knew this?

For instance, bipolar_shango, I suppose you could 34, roundhouse hold, cancelled into ex lighening for free pressure? I know it wastes a bar, but its a good way to chip out or set up another possible combo?
Thats risky. Exlightening is punishable so if you do it at close range make sure you have breaker....or a healthy life lead.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Not gonna lie, Mothman said to be good with Rain, you 'HAVE' to use 'ALL' of his tools.
Thats not true. Rains a very simple character to play.

He requires good spacing and good awareness of opponents offense tendencies and wakeups.

All you need with Rain is:

- 4RH - Think of the RH as a 5050 tool, 'Is the other guy gonna attempt to escape, or block the possible roundhouse'. Nobody will sit there an entire round taking chip from 4 and 43RH cancels, so figure out what makes them tick and feel out when to let the RH go. This is your everything when you are Rain, your poke, your combo starter, your offense starter, can be an anti air, the move you use to option select cross overs when you use armour, such a universally powerful move. This move also crushes alot of characters D3, like Kabals for example.

- Uppercut combos, obviously make your catches worth your effort.

- Lightning, more in some matches less in others. 27% anywhere on the screen if you land it. Can punish shit like ice clone, whiffed Kabal dash etc.

- Frame data knowledge, once you know you have a 10f gap to start the 4RH, the entire offensive game has been turned around. Since 4 is 10f its quick enough to punish D1s.

- Wake up situations, easy potential for massive damage here, exRH cancel armour destroys alot of wakeups.

- Good movement, as long as you know how to move with Rain, you wont suffer the typical 'OMG LAOSOGOODWITHTELEPORTS' or shit like that

Beyond that all it is, is general matchup knowledge. The character cant be relentlessly rushed down (Cage/Jax/KL/Sonya etc), and he cant be relentlessly zoned by a fair few of the zoning characters either (Kabal/Sektor/Shang/Noob etc).