What's new

New to MK & fighting games

Sazbak

Noob
Welcome to the FGC mate.

My first serious fighting game was MK9. I lost basically all of my matches for like 6 months straight. Good times.
My first one was Injustice 2 and won a lot because I played Supergirl. Made me think that fgs are about doing your advancing mids, 50/50s, dash in d1 frost breaths, projectile spams and yolo teleports. Good times.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I have played fg's since 2014 xbxone release with Killer instinct
(Still have it)
but my first One I actually try to be competitive is Mkx

@SaSSolino My first serious fighting game was Mortal Kombat (2011) as well, though I didn't play it seriously until several months after launch; I had no idea the kind of tech and such the genre, let alone the game, had.

I also never understood at first why some things I could do Offline, but not Online. Then I learned about the Delay-based netcode...

@MarceaR234 As others have suggested in this thread, there's a good progression you can use to learn. Going through all the Tutorials in the game is great. I'd next recommend picking a specific character, going into Training, and just getting a good feel for their normal punches and kicks and such. Then move on to doing their basic kombos listed in the Moves List. Then try the Special Moves. Then try canceling kombos into specials, seeing what will work and what will not.

Don't look at and try to copy pro players, the purpose of the above is to simply learn the basics and to experience and understand the fundamentals first hand.

Once you're comfortable with all that, then look at some pro-kombos, and try to emulate specific parts of them, simplifying what you're not skilled enough to do just yet.

Beyond that, it's simply playing, learning from your losses, and getting actual gameplay and match up experience against real players.

This is the exact process I did back with Mortal Kombat (2011) and it worked great for me.

FancyRat.Boy

Funny Little Man Who Likes Fighting Games And Jazz
Ey boys i'm also working on my KONSISTENT KOMBO game with Kabal, but when i go for 111 nomad dash cancel i end up trowing out a buzz saw like 25% of the time what do you think it is? Did it save a extra input from a extra 1 and loads that in before the 3? is so how do I fix? Practice right?

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
@SaSSolino My first serious fighting game was Mortal Kombat (2011) as well, though I didn't play it seriously until several months after launch; I had no idea the kind of tech and such the genre, let alone the game, had.

I also never understood at first why some things I could do Offline, but not Online. Then I learned about the Delay-based netcode...

@MarceaR234 As others have suggested in this thread, there's a good progression you can use to learn. Going through all the Tutorials in the game is great. I'd next recommend picking a specific character, going into Training, and just getting a good feel for their normal punches and kicks and such. Then move on to doing their basic kombos listed in the Moves List. Then try the Special Moves. Then try canceling kombos into specials, seeing what will work and what will not.

Don't look at and try to copy pro players, the purpose of the above is to simply learn the basics and to experience and understand the fundamentals first hand.

Once you're comfortable with all that, then look at some pro-kombos, and try to emulate specific parts of them, simplifying what you're not skilled enough to do just yet.

Beyond that, it's simply playing, learning from your losses, and getting actual gameplay and match up experience against real players.

This is the exact process I did back with Mortal Kombat (2011) and it worked great for me.
and that Kharacters Tutorial!

Ey boys i'm also working on my KONSISTENT KOMBO game with Kabal, but when i go for 111 nomad dash cancel i end up trowing out a buzz saw like 25% of the time what do you think it is? Did it save a extra input from a extra 1 and loads that in before the 3? is so how do I fix? Practice right?
Have you tried turning Release Check off?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Just a note that we all went through that slightly painful period at the beginning when stuff isn't coming out like you wanted to.. And most of us spent a bunch of time in practice mode just doing combos and strings and canceling them into different specials over and over just to get the execution down.

I wish I could say there's a shortcut for going in practice mode and just refining your inputs over and over, but there's not. It's kind of like an FGC rite of passage.

Wherever possible, you want to 'clean' your inputs up though -- meaning that you're inputting them as accurately as possible on whatever controller you're using. For example, if you can't jump forward, go to practice mode, find out exactly where the combination of up+forward is on your dpad, and just practice that so you can do it every time.

FancyRat.Boy

Funny Little Man Who Likes Fighting Games And Jazz
Just a note that we all went through that slightly painful period at the beginning when stuff isn't coming out like you wanted to.. And most of us spent a bunch of time in practice mode just doing combos and strings and canceling them into different specials over and over just to get the execution down.

I wish I could say there's a shortcut for going in practice mode and just refining your inputs over and over, but there's not. It's kind of like an FGC rite of passage.

Wherever possible, you want to 'clean' your inputs up though -- meaning that you're inputting them as accurately as possible on whatever controller you're using. For example, if you can't jump forward, go to practice mode, find out exactly where the combination of up+forward is on your dpad, and just practice that so you can do it every time.
Thanks for the help boys I just spent an hour in training and its coming out constantly, practice makes perfect after all!