What's new

New to MK & fighting games

Hello all! So as the title suggests, I am new to Mk & fighting games overall. I'm having trouble with stringing combos together, input timing, and also things like jumping diagonally instead of just straight up. I do play on an xbox controller. The characters I'm using currently are sonya, geras, and skarlet. If anyone has any tips on getting better with the movements and timing of the games, It would be greatly appreciated

Matix218

Get over here!
Make sure you are using the d pad to move/jump and not the analog stick. D pad gives you more precise directional inputs (which may be why you are having jump issues). As far as getting consistent with strings/combo execution it really is just a matter of going into practice mode and learning through repetition. You will also want to practice hit confirming as a lot of new FG players don't understand this concept. In short, hit confirming is when you train yourself to visually confirm that your move or string has hit (as opposed to being blocked) before inputting a punishable special move to extend your combo.

Make sure you are using the d pad to move/jump and not the analog stick. D pad gives you more precise directional inputs (which may be why you are having jump issues). As far as getting consistent with strings/combo execution it really is just a matter of going into practice mode and learning through repetition. You will also want to practice hit confirming as a lot of new FG players don't understand this concept. In short, hit confirming is when you train yourself to visually confirm that your move or string has hit (as opposed to being blocked) before inputting a punishable special move to extend your combo.
Yeah see, I don't know anything about hit confirming at all. I do use dpad tho, and have trouble putting in special moves because I'm not sure if I should roll my dpad or actually press the down back. I also have big fingers which may cause input errors

Matix218

Get over here!
Yeah see, I don't know anything about hit confirming at all. I do use dpad tho, and have trouble putting in special moves because I'm not sure if I should roll my dpad or actually press the down back. I also have big fingers which may cause input errors
In mk i generally dont really roll, as the game does not need to see the diagonal input (unless you use the alt controls option).

Also, have you completed the in game "tutorial" mode? In mk11 nrs did a good job of going into a decent amount of depth on advanced fighting game concepts and examples of how to execute them. It is not perfect but it is a solid starting point.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Did you go the in-game tutorial? It's very good and teaches you about all the fundamentals you need to know, specific MK mechanics, and even advanced stuff like flawless block and frame data. As for the combos, timing is key. Just practice them over and over until you get it down. Maybe start with a character like Sonya or Noob Saibot, they have long combos and it'll practice your timing and muscle memory a lot.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
A lot of it just comes with practice and repetition. One thing you can do is just pop into practice mode and pick either a string or special move, and start practicing executing that move until you can land it 10 times in a row, no errors. After awhile the inputs will start to feel more natural.

Honestly, it's a lot like learning to play an instrument, if that helps at all.

In mk i generally dont really roll, as the game does not need to see the diagonal input (unless you use the alt controls option).

Also, have you completed the in game "tutorial" mode? In mk11 nrs did a good job of going into a decent amount of depth on advanced fighting game concepts and examples of how to execute them. It is not perfect but it is a solid starting point.
I did do the in game tutorial, which showed me a lot of things. I just think the timing of inputs is where I'm struggling and to perform the special moves into strings.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
A lot of it just comes with practice and repetition. One thing you can do is just pop into practice mode and pick either a string or special move, and start practicing executing that move until you can land it 10 times in a row, no errors. After awhile the inputs will start to feel more natural.

Honestly, it's a lot like learning to play an instrument, if that helps at all.
he is basically saying practice and improve your muscle memory ;)

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Xbox Dpad is kind rough for fighting games imo. I play on PS4 so I can’t help you with that but...

Combos are kinda constructed like this:
You have starters which are normals that can process into strings.
You have launchers which pop the opponent into the air allowing follow up.
Then you have links, which are moves or strings you do during the juggle.
Finally you have cancels/Enders which are the final hits of a juggle.

Input on most strings in MK are pretty easy you don’t have to be rocket fast.

Pro-Tip turn release check off.

Game has a pretty great tutorial mode under the learn section to get the ball rolling.

Ask more specific questions and I can give more specific answers.

Xbox Dpad is kind rough for fighting games imo. I play on PS4 so I can’t help you with that but...

Game has a pretty great tutorial mode under the learn section to get the ball rolling.

How do people jump in the air diagonally to string combos? One of the things I'm running into is that I'll jump straight up instead of to my opponent

mrapchem

Noob
All of the aforementioned advice is very good and you should do it. I would add that you should also do the character-specific tutorials for your mains. After you do those, go into practice and literally perform your characters' special moves repeatedly until your fingers can do them without you thinking about them. Then, move on to your characters' menu combos, which are also known as strings, and do the same thing. This will take time, but once you put that time into, you'll be moppin' your friends in no time.

Last edited:

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
How do people jump in the air diagonally to string combos? One of the things I'm running into is that I'll jump straight up instead of to my opponent
I think you are describing jump-in combos. So find a simple string like 1,1,4 . The in-put would be jump toward 1 then 1,1,4. In other word the jump in is just an extra hit into the string.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I also have ogre hands try sitting the controller slightly up on the left side of your hands go into practice then just keep doing back forward repititions untill the inputs are clean

Turning release check off helped me tremendously

Sazbak

Noob
It's about time for someone to tell Ed Boon that turning Release check on by default is a bad idea.
Let's make a petition or something.