What's new

New technical air normals mechanics

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Since many of us gave their input to NRS on previous threads i think we got heard, so thank you all amazing members that contributing by giving their honest input and also NRS for listening:)

in case you guys haven't noticed MKX have a propriety change from air normals.

Its confirmed that has 4 air normals, but i already spotted 3 different proprieties from 3 air normals.

In MKX if you jump torwards or if you do a neutral jump, your air move propriety change according to the button.

Jump 1 is a air-to-air move, it has tracking proprieties so you can cross up with it, the character will automatically turn to face the opponent axis.

J1 (forward jump)

Crossup with j1

You can also jump backwards with it (not sure if grants a combo, in MK9 it didn't)
I keep asking myself it i perform a neutral jump, will i get a drop punch to start combos from neutral jump? or i will get the NJP as well?

jump 2 is our traditional jump punch from mk9 only when you jump torwards, this time jump 2 doesn't track so isn't a move built exactly to crossup with, but you can still measure for a very ambigous crossup with said move.

Jumping torwards for a combo starter (using J2)

Very ambigous Crossup with J2 (doesn't track)

when used from neutral jumps, becomes the NJP launcher we all loved in MK9.

Scorps NJP

Jump 3 is a knockdown kick, has tracking, which allows you to crossup with it since it changes direction.
I wonder if i perform a neutral jump what will happen, probably a MK9 neutral jump kick, or a drop kick.

Jump 3 (no crossup)

Crossup with Jump 3 (has tracking)

jump4 is knockdown kick yet they feel different from J3, you can set up ambigous crossups with it since the character will not track the axis, but if you miss, oh man. i wonder now what happens if you jump neutral.

One of these two (j3 and J4) on neutral jump is possibly be a drop kick, and the other is possibly the neutral jump kick from MK9.

Recovering animation from air normals also spotted, if you perform a very early kick or punch, it won't go all the way in until it lands, the attack itself will recovery before reaching the ground. And has ground recovery frames too, (at least -5, or more i presume)

Jump 4

Recovery frames (air)

Recovery frames (ground)

J1 (backwards) this move seems to have hit box that hits better in crossups so no big deal on not having recovery frames in air.

Recovery frames (ground)

Scorpion Jump 4 (doesn't track) but still crosses up

Scorpion recovering from a crossup jump 4

So no more bird tactics in MKX, you will have to carefuly time your jumps if you want to gain something from them, if you get whiffed from jumping attacks you will get punished REAL HARD.

Jumping without nothing still allow to insta blocks tho, which is good and i tottally agree, but this is trully game changing, i really hope NJP has recovery animations too, long ones, so ppl will not randomly perform a NJP and if they make a bad guess they should get punished from it too.

The more and more i see this game, the more i like it, the technical aspect is amazing, and the risk/reward mechanic so far is there, and i understand why colt, tyler, noobde, rigo and apathyjohnes said we haven't seen nothing yet.

WE HAVE NOT SEEN NOTHING YET.

it sucks we aren't able to check the strings too, but i do hope the risk/reward is also there.

Discuss

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Interactable jump kicks also has recovery frames from air to ground, that scorpion kick is from a propeling kick

Here is the recovery from D'Vorah as well:

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I seem to remember Scorpion in one of the videos doing a jump punch and he used his sword.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
So is it like a unique move with more range or just a different visual? I hope all the characters have some unique air normals.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So is it like a unique move with more range or just a different visual? I hope all the characters have some unique air normals.
Probably the hitbox of NJP in Ninjutsu is slighty expanded. But as NRS has said before we haven't seen nothing yet, i'm not too concerned with different air normal, having 4 with different proprieties already makes the game really deep if you look closely how the mechanic grows around it.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Cool to know each button causes a different air normal. That's good info, but you guys shouldnt be talking about hitboxes and frames. It's all gonna change.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Cool to know each button causes a different air normal. That's good info, but you guys shouldnt be talking about hitboxes and frames. It's all gonna change.
yup, is just pure frame especulation but still looks punishable on whiff and it should be this way.
no more "jumping between frame traps and not get punished by it" if the attack doesn't connect oh, man.

Besides this auto discorages jumping retreats or jumping aproaches without a backup plan, the risk of getting AAed at early jump is one thing, which telegraphs later jump kicks, and that can be avoided by walking backward or backdashed, and then punish in the window, since the walk speed in MKX seems to be pretty good and backdashes have invincibility frames. LMAO

Cool stuff. One thing though, doesn't the block button make crossups ineffective? You don't have to guess which way to block if it's ambiguous since there is a dedicated button?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I think the crossup normals that didn't track were just due to not having character boxes cross to the other side just yet, much like with MK9. I remember seeing Cassie's j1 seem to not track at one point.

I don't think they'll have that different of properties amongst all jump normals...I think the kicks will just knockdown always, while the punches will stagger. Just there are different animations, so they grant different uses simply due to hitbox and hurtbox differences.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So are nj1 and nj2 two different attacks or would they both be MK9 style volleyball spikes?
That is the 1 milion dollars question my good sir.

I think the crossup normals that didn't track were just due to not having character boxes cross to the other side just yet, much like with MK9. I remember seeing Cassie's j1 seem to not track at one point.

I don't think they'll have that different of properties amongst all jump normals...I think the kicks will just knockdown always, while the punches will stagger. Just there are different animations, so they grant different uses simply due to hitbox and hurtbox differences.
Very good point. THTB always brings the good stuff to the table.

I gotta admit, neutral jump kick that knockdown will look wheird lol

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You realize that cross-ups are pointless in MK because of the block button right?
Not exactly true, sometimes ppl do want to avoid at all cost rather than blocking, this is why crossups where anoyinng in mk9 despite the fact that you could block them, the oponnent gains a lot from it, you're forced to block standing and this allowed to open ppl guards up, build more meter or worse.

So here, i can see ppl trying to avoid for punish, or getting put into pressure again due the same thing.

Not exactly true, sometimes ppl do want to avoid at all cost rather than blocking, this is why crossups where anoyinng in mk9 despite the fact that you could block them, the oponnent gains a lot from it, you're forced to block standing and this allowed to open ppl guards up, build more meter or worse.

So here, i can see ppl trying to avoid for punish, or getting put into pressure again due the same thing.
True. Ambiguous jump-ins still seem pointless though.

OK here is some baseless speculation:
  • J1 will be the fastest normal therefor best for A2A
  • J2 will be slower and more damaging and therefore your goto combo starter
  • J3 another good A2A with slightly slower startup and better range
  • J4 just good for kicking the shit out of people?
I really hope we'll have a NJ normal that doesn't knock down...